Home Members Forums Music Podcasts Lists Articles Buyer's Guide Resource Library
Genre List
Related Products
Who's Online
apb19 camera SE
DWL13 camera GB
Enrique Gil15 camera
lengold34 camera tune
Invisible Members: 1
Visitors: 92
Search (Beta)
Google

Web MacJams
Past 7 Days
Song Uploads: 128
Song Votes: 281
Song Comments: 1600
Forum Posts: 789
New Members: 310
Participation Points: 6782.15

Author
J.A.Stewart
Forum Full Member

Re:Lost Music Roots?
Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 01:38 PM CST

Quote by: fluffyasbestos
"Corporate management is good for owners and shareholders, but most often bad for artistic and creative evolution."

...I think at this point it is very difficult to make broad generalitites about "mainstream" music since it no longer exits. But I can point to a ton of artists, some of home have very large, mainstream audiences, such as the White Stripes, Laura Veirs, Wilco, etc. who use roots music. I fear that there is an aspect of "the kids today..." to this thread. Or, "when I was in school I had to walk five miles in the snow both ways..."

All you have to do is listen to the repetitive, narrow playlists on major radio stations to recognize the *mainstream* is still VERY much alive... and the throngs of indulgent parents around the country, who are anteing up unconscionable amounts of money so that their offspring won't miss the latest Disney traveling stage show.

There may be a lot of interesting new alternatives available, but the mainstream is still... the *mainstream*... and a monstrous cash cow.

As far as your fear of what could be described as generational aspect to this discussion, I'd like to think that's not the case. I just believe that aspiring musicians are being deprived not only of what was really a lot of fun, but musically enriching... playing music that challenged you to improve your skills, that enhanced your instrumental technique... that introduced you to an incredible variety of musical styles and ideas... and that gave you an instant rapport with an audience.

Much of what is spoon-fed to kids today relies heavily on technology... attitude... bad poetry... and *booty*. Wink

--- Joe

Imagine The Possibilities... IF YOU BELIEVE
Feter
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 02:11 PM CST

best to look at the other side of the coin
and see who's doin root music and how successful
and this infleunce the young generation ..
I would say ( O brother where art ....) !!

what's diffrent now from before ...just will cost
you couple clicks .!!
Jim Bouchard
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 07:26 PM CST

Hey, I think I qualify as one of the old guys on this site, and I am afraid this whole discussion sounds like a bunch of old guys grumblin', a "...back in the old days" discussion. Complaints about music relying on new-fangled technology and musicians not having the classic music skills probably go back to the days of the Gregorian Chant. Little Stevie has a music curriculum that he wants to promote and he has a press release to make sure that people sign up, that's all it is. Big Grin
Dadai
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 08:28 PM CST

Quote by: Jim Bouchard
Hey, I think I qualify as one of the old guys on this site, and I am afraid this whole discussion sounds like a bunch of old guys grumblin', a "...back in the old days" discussion. Complaints about music relying on new-fangled technology and musicians not having the classic music skills probably go back to the days of the Gregorian Chant. Little Stevie has a music curriculum that he wants to promote and he has a press release to make sure that people sign up, that's all it is. Big Grin

... a tad cynical perchance? maybe not... maybe?

It's just music... Dadai
davisamerica
Forum Regular Poster

Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 09:14 PM CST

tis what it is and will be what it is...things r changing
J.A.Stewart
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 09:18 PM CST

Quote by: Dadai
Quote by: Jim Bouchard

Bah! Just another *old guy* being Contrary-Contrary. Mr. Green Laughing Out Loud

Jim Bouchard
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 09:35 PM CST

Quote by: Dadai

...not. Most definitely not. Just realistic, in terms of Little Stevie and the article. I'd put out a press release too if I was him. But I think what the young'uns are doin' these days is just fine. So maybe I'm less disillusioned than some others are here.
Dadai
Forum Full Member

Wednesday, November 21 2007 @ 09:54 PM CST

.... edited. Never mind.

It's just music... Dadai
rover101
Forum Full Member

Thursday, November 22 2007 @ 06:17 PM CST

Quote by: J.A.Stewart

Much of what is spoon-fed to kids today relies heavily on technology... attitude... bad poetry... and *booty*. Wink

--- Joe

Wasn't it ever thus?......I was reading a top 40 list for 1967, and I think Nancy Sinatra was no.1, the best of a bunch of fluff......anything with any integrity/longevity didn't start showing until around no 28.....

I see in today's generation of younger musicians the same dedication to knowledge and history as the musicians of my generation, almost regardless of style. But remember, musicians can't be considered part of the general buying public, and, for better or for worse, show business is driven by money. Where us old buggers are getting confused is that we are part of the history now, as opposed to the main action.

Cheers, Shaky

Wherever you go, there you are.
J.A.Stewart
Forum Full Member

Thursday, November 22 2007 @ 06:33 PM CST

Quote by: rover101
Quote by: J.A.Stewart

--- Joe

...Where us old buggers are getting confused is that we are part of the history now, as opposed to the main action.

Cheers, Shaky

Hey!!! As long as we're still breathing... we're still part of the action, Shaky. Laughing Out Loud

Search This Forum: