Romance Literature Statistics
Romance Literature Statistics: Overview
Explore the results of Romance Writers of America's market research study on romance reader demographics and the romance fiction industry. These statistics offer insights to help you share in this billion-dollar-a-year industry.
- Romance fiction generated $1.37 billion in sales in 2006.
- Approximately 6,400 romance titles were released in 2006.
Market Share of Romance Fiction
- Romance fiction outsold every market category in 2006, with the exception of religion/inspirational.
- 26.4% of all books sold are romance.
Romance Market Share Compared to Other Genres
(source: Simba Information estimates)
- Romance fiction: $1.37 billion in estimated revenue for 2006
Religion/inspirational: $1.68 billion
Science fiction/fantasy: $495 million
Classic literary fiction: $448
Mystery: $422 million
Graphic novels: $128 million
- Of those who read books last year, one in five read romance novels. (AP-Ipsos Poll)
(source: Romance Writers of America, 2006 Romance Releases)
Romance Fiction Breakdown by Subgenre
Permission is granted by Romance Writers of America to link to this page and/or use portions of the statistics. Do not reprint or copy this information in its entirety.
- Category/series romance: 40 percent
- Historical romance: 17 percent
- Contemporary romance: 16 percent
- Paranormal romance: 9 percent
- Romantic suspense: 7 percent
- Inspirational romance: 6 percent
- Other (includes young adult, erotic romance, chick-lit, and women's fiction): 5 percent
© 2007 Romance Writers of America, Inc.