Skip Navigation
Home Information Sharing & Analysis Prevention & Protection Preparedness & Response Research Commerce & Trade Travel Security & Procedures Immigration
About the Department Open for Business Press Room

Getting a Passport

United States citizens can visit the State Department’s travel Web site, or call the U.S. National Passport Information Center: (877) 4USA-PPT; TDD/TTY: (888) 874-7793.

Foreign nationals should contact their respective governments to obtain passports.

From The Press Room

Homeland Security Components

More from Homeland Security

Related Resources

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative: The Basics

get e-mail updates Get e-mail updates when this information changes

Traveling to Canada, Mexico and Bermuda by Air

U.S. citizens and citizens of Canada, Mexico and Bermuda  traveling by air between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda are required to present a valid passport or other WHTI-compliant documentation to enter (or depart) the U.S.

Back To Top

Traveling to Canada, Mexico and Bermuda by Land/Sea

Beginning January 31, 2008, the Department plans to move towards WHTI implementation at land and sea ports of entry by ending the routine practice of accepting oral declarations of citizenship alone.

Citizens of the United States, Canada, Bermuda and Mexico will need to present the following to enter or depart the United States by land or sea:

U.S. and Canadian Citizens

  • Ages 19 and older: a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate or naturalization certificate
  • Children ages 18 and younger: proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.
  • Passports and trusted traveler program cards - NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST - will continue to be accepted for cross-border travel.

Citizens from Bermuda

  • Passport issued by the Government of Bermuda or the United Kingdom.

Citizens from Mexico

  • As under current entry requirements, Mexican nationals, regardless of age, must present a passport issued by the Government of Mexico and a visa, or a valid Form DSP-150, B-1/B-2 laser visa (Border Crossing Card).
  • Trusted traveler program cards - NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST - will continue to be accepted for cross-border travel.

Back To Top

Passport Requirements

All citizens of the United States, Canada, Mexico, and Bermuda are now required to present a valid passport when entering the United States at any airport as of January 23, 2007.  This includes:

  • Children of any age, including children of Legal Permanent Residents who are United States citizens.
  • Mexican citizens who have a Border Crossing Card (BCC) when entering the United States by air. (The BCC is still valid in lieu of a passport and visa for land border crossings within the border region.) The BCC may be used as a visa.

Back To Top

Other Acceptable Documents

In some cases, other documents may be accepted when entering or departing the United States by air.

A limited number of travelers may present either:

  • Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, Legal Permanent Residents will continue to be able to use their Alien Registration Card (Form I-551), issued by the Department of Homeland Security, or other valid evidence of permanent residence status to apply for entry to the United States.
  • Merchant Mariner Document (MMD) or “z-card” issued by the U.S. Coast Guard that will be acceptable for use under WHTI by U.S. citizen merchant mariners traveling on official business.
  • NEXUS Air card in conjunction with the NEXUS program at designated NEXUS sites. The NEXUS program is limited to citizens of Canada and the United States, lawful permanent residents of the United States and permanent residents of Canada. See information on enrolling in the NEXUS program.
  • U.S. Military Traveling on Orders. There are no changes proposed for members of the U.S. armed forces traveling on active duty. Currently, an individual traveling as a member of the U.S. armed forces on active duty is not required to present a valid passport to enter or depart the United States. Note: Spouses and dependents of these military members will be required to present a passport (and valid visa, if applicable) when traveling into the United States under WHTI.

Many border states are developing state-issued enhanced drivers licenses which will provide proof of  identity and U.S. citizenship. These new documents will comply with travel rules under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). Enhanced drivers licenses can be used by U.S. citizens instead of a passport to cross the border with Canada, Mexico.

Back To Top

Traveling To and From U.S. Territories

U.S. Citizens traveling to and returning directly from a U.S. territory are not considered to have left the U.S. territory and do not need to present a passport.

U.S. territories include:

  • American Samoa
  • Guam
  • Northern Mariana Islands
  • Puerto Rico
  • Swains Island
  • U.S. Virgin Islands

Back To Top

Presenting Insufficient Documentation

For the general public, people who apply for entry but do not have appropriate documentation will likely be referred for secondary screening at the port. In secondary, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers will evaluate any evidence of citizenship or identity the individual may have and will verify all information against available databases.

For foreign nationals, a determination will be made at that time whether to admit the individual or not. However, to prevent delay at the ports of entry, we would encourage all travelers to obtain the appropriate documents before they travel.

In addition, the State Department has processes to assist U.S. citizens overseas to obtain emergency travel documentation for those with lost or stolen passports.

Back To Top

About the Initiative

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) requires all citizens of the United States, Canada, Mexico, and Bermuda to have a passport or other accepted document that establishes the bearer’s identity and nationality to enter or depart the United States from within the Western Hemisphere.

The travel document requirements make up the departments of State and Homeland Security’s Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). This change in travel document requirements is the result of recommendations made by the 9/11 Commission, which Congress subsequently passed into law in the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004.

This travel initiative is being implemented in two phases. The first phase will be for air travel, and the second for land/sea travel.

Back To Top

Download Plug-in

Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.

Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat (PDF)

This page was last modified on December 14, 2007