The first University building
Construction began on the first building in 1788, although the deed to the property on which it sat was not actually obtained until 1789. The structure was at first called the Carroll Building but came to be known as the South Building after the construction of the North Building in 1795. With the passage of time, the adjective "Old" was attached to both the South and North Buildings. Old South had ten or eleven rooms and served as classroom, dining commons and dormitory. The building was razed in 1904 and Ryan Hall occupies the site.