> Some important information you all should be in on
 Scarred Sun
post Sep 27 2007, 07:54 PM
Post #1

why don't you come on over, valerie?

Group Icon

Current Project:
Project Magpie

Well, I've got some news: I finally figured out what the problem with the s2beta.com redirection was (misbinding of the domain with its other domain, s2beta.org. I wouldn't recommend using it though, as it's being used to bind to a backup.)

So I guess it's too bad that The Sonic 2 Beta Page isn't going to be around for much longer.

After being proposed to a couple of times, and after some reluctance from myself, Sonic Retro and The Sonic 2 Beta Page will be merging together to become The Sonic 2 Retro Beta. Except for the fact that that's a stupid name, so it'll be simply Sonic Retro.

We'll be keeping these forums (what's currently on Retro will be mostly thrown out, seeing as 90 percent of it's redundant to this board anyway) and converting the Sonic 2 Beta site onto a Sonic 2 Beta-specific namespace on the wiki that will cover the same things this site's been doing. The forum structure will stay near-identical, with a couple of changes: there will now be a Sysop group for non-forum staff to be site staff, and new accounts will be handled differently. From here on out, newly created accounts will work for the wiki side, but you will still need to take the forum test in order to use the account here. I'll also be converting another skin for the site to match the color scheme of Polished Copper, and possibly Super Sonic.

From here, though, I'm leaving the door open—what would you like to see come to this site? For example, I'm still pretty strongly in favor of some form of a CVS, but the last few times that's been attempted there haven't exactly been a groundswell of support. What can you get behind, though?

EDIT: I AM SHITTY AT EXPLAINING THINGS READ ON BEFORE YOU GET ALL TEMPEST IN A TEAPOT
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
 Billy
post Sep 27 2007, 09:00 PM
Post #2

Gillian Seed

Group Icon

Current Project:
Too many things D=

Wait woah, what happened? I'm a little confused on what the problem is exactly.

I would like to point out the irony in that s2beta will be recombining with Sonic Classic, in a sense.
+Quote Post
 LocalH
post Sep 27 2007, 09:12 PM
Post #3

roxoring your soxors

Group Icon

Current Project:
Genesis programming stufz

Wait, who's idea was this? This is the first I've heard of it. And just after I've started spending more time on the forum (I've been here at least once a day for the past two and a half weeks, which is more than the previous six months).

I mean, I'm not necessarily against the idea, but I do wish I had been consulted first. And I'm sort of partial to the S2B name, so if there's a way we could keep that active, it would make me happy.
+Quote Post
 guess_who
post Sep 27 2007, 09:18 PM
Post #4

more desu for guess_who ~desu

Group Icon

Login Name: Guess_Who

Current Project:
WORLD DOMINATION

lol wut

When did this happen?

EDIT: Also I'm leaving once this happens, not that I get on much anymore anyways.

This post has been edited by guess_who: Sep 27 2007, 09:29 PM
+Quote Post
 Metal_Man88
post Sep 27 2007, 09:37 PM
Post #5

Who needs friends when you have enemies?

Group Icon

Current Project:
http://www.metalman88.com

This is an unnecessary dilution of the S2B name, and I feel that it amounts to simply neatly erasing S2B's independent name and plastering Sonic Retro's name over it.

If it is really that hard to maintain a hard and fast page which simply gives a thorough explanation of one thing for you, then why not have somebody else do it?

The suddenness and finality with which this news has been announced indicates that the opinion of the people here on the matter does not count, except as far as for suggesting 'new features'. Fine; but don't expect any sympathy from me if anything goes wrong.

+Quote Post
 voice
post Sep 27 2007, 09:55 PM
Post #6

Make any joke you want, you know I look good.

Group Icon

Current Project:
College

CVS is old, its all about SVN now. Just felt like putting that out there.
+Quote Post
 Skaarg
post Sep 27 2007, 09:56 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Login Name: SKAARG

You're guys decision, but I do feel like you're killing off a great site for Retro's success which may have a great wiki, but that's about it to me.
+Quote Post
 Tweaker
post Sep 27 2007, 10:01 PM
Post #8

The Sonic Tweaker

Group Icon

Current Project:
The Sonic Megamix Series

Okay, my confusion lies here: What are we killing off? We're changing a name. "S2B," the site, will still be completely intact. The content of the forums, as well as the people who use them, are not changing. Trial Membership is still here. The quiz is still here. We're removing the redundancy of having these two giants in the community as two seperate sites, and we're combining our resources in a way that can only benefit both sides.

For those people who use the forum, nothing will change other than the fact that the community will be based upon a wiki in a more integrated fashion, but those who choose to ignore the wiki are free to do so. Hell, even the old skins will still be available - what's the problem here?
+Quote Post
 voice
post Sep 27 2007, 10:07 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Current Project:
College

My thought is people don't like it because the proposal is to muscle in a wiki, then dump the site's name which has, which the exception of the SW part, been the same since its conception for a site thats only been around for a short while. I think most would prefer a nick collison tactic here, IE: older nick overrules the newer nick.
+Quote Post
 16BT
post Sep 27 2007, 10:10 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Current Project:
None that regard this place.

I said it when before SHD was absorbed into Retro and I'll say it again. Unless you want this site digested (literally; taken in, then excreted out) DO NOT MEREGE WITH SONIC RETRO.
+Quote Post
 Tweaker
post Sep 27 2007, 10:11 PM
Post #11

The Sonic Tweaker

Group Icon

Current Project:
The Sonic Megamix Series

Yeah, I figure that's reasonable. The only problem, however, is that a wiki covering various Sonic-related aspects with a name that implies strictly Sonic 2 Beta-related content doesn't make much sense. Sonic Retro, as a name, in my opinion, implies the same focus that we adopt here (Retro Sonic stuffs, hacking, research, etc), and doesn't really restrict the content we can adopt.

I mean, if we could get away without changing the name, I wouldn't mind. But it's a bit hard to do that, as you can see. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/P.gif)

QUOTE(16BT @ Sep 27 2007, 11:10 PM) *
I said it when before SHD was absorbed into Retro and I'll say it again. Unless you want this site digested (literally; taken in, then excreted out) DO NOT MEREGE WITH SONIC RETRO.

What I can say about this is that Retro and SHD had widely conflicting communities with different focuses that didn't work out. Retro, as it is now, is much more suited to the S2B community; so much, in fact, that they may as well be the same. That's the idea here.
+Quote Post
 voice
post Sep 27 2007, 10:12 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Current Project:
College

Make the Wiki a sub-section then? It can't be too hard to make a retro.s2beta.com.
+Quote Post
 guess_who
post Sep 27 2007, 10:12 PM
Post #13

more desu for guess_who ~desu

Group Icon

Login Name: Guess_Who

Current Project:
WORLD DOMINATION

QUOTE(Tweaker @ Sep 27 2007, 10:01 PM) *
For those people who use the forum, nothing will change other than the fact that the community will be based upon a wiki in a more integrated fashion

So basically, we'll be Glowing Bridge except not for newfags.
+Quote Post
 Tweaker
post Sep 27 2007, 10:14 PM
Post #14

The Sonic Tweaker

Group Icon

Current Project:
The Sonic Megamix Series

QUOTE(guess_who @ Sep 27 2007, 11:12 PM) *
QUOTE(Tweaker @ Sep 27 2007, 10:01 PM) *
For those people who use the forum, nothing will change other than the fact that the community will be based upon a wiki in a more integrated fashion

So basically, we'll be Glowing Bridge except not for newfags.

You could say Glowing Bridge was us for newfags (IMG:style_emoticons/default/P.gif) It's not really a valid comparison.
+Quote Post
 voice
post Sep 27 2007, 10:16 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

Current Project:
College

Yeah, GB was started by a british guy, case closed.
+Quote Post

15 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th January 2008 - 11:35 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft