Living with Leukemia|
| Contents |
| How do I deal with it? |
So you've been diagnosed with Leukemia.You're feeling helpless and immensely fearful. You can't believe that this diagnosis has been applied to you. How could such a thing have
BEFORE YOU PANIC, please understand that life goes on despite the diagnosis. Know also that many of us have been living with, and successfully fighting this disease for lots of years. We laugh, enjoy each day, and have much to do while we battle the beast. Treatment options are continually changing and improving. There really are new treatment methods coming along practically
| What You Should Know About Leukemia |
- Leukemia Overview Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center .
- Living With Leukemia Whether you've just been diagnosed or you've been battling leukemia for several years, this article written by staff members of the M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, University of Texas Medical Center in Houston, Texas, will help you better understand Leukemia, the terms you'll be needing, and the treatment options available. Part of the Adult Leukemia section of the MD Anderson website.
- The Biopsy Test Report: a Patient's Guide Edward O. Uthman, MD .
of Acute Leukemia , from the Leukemia
Information Center from Medicine
- Acute Leukemia of Childhood and Adolescence The Medical Reporter November, 1995. An introduction to leukemia in children by Lorrie F. Odom, M.D. The Medical Reporter is an independent, educational health magazine, published solely on the World Wide Web since April, 1995.
- Squirrel Tales, Inc.--a parent's practical tips on dealing with childhood leukemia.
- The Childhood Leukemia
Center , an excellent site, Not to be missed! . It
provides lots of useful information about dealing with Childhood
Leukemia. The material in this Center has been excerpted or adapted
from Childhood Leukemia: A
Guide for Families, Friends, and Caregivers by Nancy
Keene, third edition, copyright 2002 by O'Reilly & Associates,
Inc. . Information includes a FAQ
on childhood leukemia, and more. Although this site is
oriented towards childhood leukemia, there is useful infomation about
adult leukemia too.
- Leukemia a basic article on causes, types, symptoms, diagnosis and treatments from MedcineNet.
- Ten Best Readings on Leukemia by Lynn C. Moscinski, MD, H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute from Cancer Control: Journal of the Moffitt Cancer Center Lists 10 journal articles that the author considers the most important for the clinician.
CancerNet: Leukemia a collection of links from the U.S. National Cancer Institute (NCI) on
Leukemia. It includes links to information from the various parts of
NCI and the National Institutes of
Health. It includes links to information on diagnosis and
treatment of different types of Leukemia, causes of Leukemia and
statistics on its incidence. Highly recommended!!
| Treating Leukemia |
| Leukemia and Genetics |
Leukemia Information |
- Leukaemia Research Fund of the United Kingdom. This organization covers all hematological malignancies: All forms of Leukemia, Lymphoma, Multiple Myeloma, Myelodysplastic Syndrome, Myeloproliferative Disorders, and Aplastic Anemia. There's a wealth of information here. Information specific to each kind of Leukaemia is available at Patient Education and Information .
- Leukemia Information from Oncolink . A large collection of cancer information on the net, this resource has information on many topics. Survivor's stories, and other resources.
- List archives of ACOR searchable Archives of the Association of Cancer Online Resources (ACOR) Cancer Support Mailing Lists (you must be registered for a list to search it).
- Leukaemia Research Fund Centre for Cell and Molecular Biology of Leukaemia, at the Institute of Cancer Research in partnership with The Royal Marsden NHS Trust at the University of London.
Cancer Institute's SEER-Cancer Rates and
Risks including Leukemia Risk Factors, by Martha S. Linet, M.D., M.P.H.
- Medicine Online's Leukemia Information Center, an educational library of comprehensive information on adult myeloid leukemia (AML) for healthcare professionals and consumers. This site is sponsered by Pharmacia & Upjohn, makers of Idarubicin Hydrochloride a chemotherapy agent used in AML.
Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center Leukemia Service,
includes overviews on Leukemia as well as how leukemia is treated at
- MD Anderson Cancer Center,
Leukemia Section has lots of information, including leukemia
treatment priorities, and the Leukemia Insights Newsletter.
- Ron Marriage's Cancer Links is a site with many medical resources. Some of his Leukemia sites appear on no other page that we have encountered.
- Leukemia, Lymphoma, and Multiple Myeloma support, BMT support, and Myeloproliferative Disorders support are all available via internet email mailing lists and chat groups.
- Magnetic fields of high voltage power lines and risk of cancer in Finnish adults: nationwide cohort study, Verkasalo et. al. British Medical Journal No. 7064 Volume 313 Saturday 26 October 1996.
- The Max Foundation,
named after Max Rivarola, from Buenos Aires, Argentina. In 1988 at the
age of 14, he was diagnosed with CML, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia. He
passed away in 1991 at the age of 17. The purpose of The Max
Foundation is to provide a forum for information, discussion and
support to help children with Leukemia and their families from all
over Latin America. La
fundacion Max, es llamada asi en nombre de Max Rivarola,
nacido en Buenos Aires, Argentina. En 1988, a los 14 a�os, fue
diagnosticado con leucemia mieloide cronica. Fallecio en 1991 a la
edad de 17 a�os. El proposito de la fundacion Max es proveer de un
centro de informacion, debate y ayuda emocional, a ni�os con leucemia
y sus familias en toda Latinoamerica.
The Leukemia Book Store, is associated with Amazon.com and HealingWell.com. It offers books
at 20-40% off the cover price, many of the books are hard to
- The Jennifer Lynn Stroud
Foundation, was established by the parents of Jennifer
Stroud. It promotes research for a leukemia cure and offers
educational, emotional and spiritual support to families impacted by
- The Lauri Strauss
Leukemia Foundation whose purpose is to fund and organize
programs and events to increase the understanding of leukemia and find
a cure. The foundation sponsers medical research and funds donor
- Sociedade de Leucemia Infantil
Bernardo Araujo (SLIBA). Entidade de apoio a pacientes com
leucemia, principalmente crianças, que busca disseminar
informaçóes sobre opçóes de
tratamentos. Tamb�m luta pelo aumento de doadores de medula
Óssea no Brasil. (This organization is dedicated to help
patients with leukemia, mainly children. It disseminates information
about treatment options and also fights to increase bone marrow donors
| More Information about Specific Leukemias |