TL 053-497 Bedfordshire England
Castle is an 11th century earthwork motte and bailey fortress, founded by Ralf
de Tallebosc. In the 12th century, Paye de Beauchamp founded the stone castle,
when cladding the motte in stone and adding a shell keep. Dismantled after the
great siege of 1224, the truncated flat-topped motte, now supports a large oval
ward, which is flanked by the base of a square tower. The surrounding streets
give the layout, of the inner and outer baileys, with part of the inner bailey
ditch beneath Castle Lane. In the 19th century, the northern part of the motte
was used as an icehouse. 3 miles east is Goldington
Castle and 14 miles south is Higham Gobion
Bedford Castle is located in the town centre, off High Street. 57 miles north of London, on the A1-M1-A421.
The site is owned by Bedfordshire County Council and is freely accessible in daylight hours.
There is a car park nearby.
For more information on the castle, go to its HomePage.