Jim-Butcher.Com Community
March 23, 2008, 06:39:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ah HELL NO  (Read 5878 times)
iago
The Merlin
Wizard

Site Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 09:48:25 AM »

Hair-sniffing: Totally hot.

Fool Moon: Way, way, way too complicated to make a single TV episode.  I'm pleased they took some elements of the story but made one of their own.  It kept me guessing -- is this the plot twist?  Or is something else going on?

Susan Stand-In: I really dig the potential of Harry having a werewolf girlfriend.

Fred Hicks
The Butcher Block Podcast: http://butcherblock.libsyn.com/
Spirit of the Century: http://www.evilhat.com/?spirit
Don't Rest Your Head: http://www.evilhat.com/dryh.php
The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game - Coming Soon
http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/
Kali
Wizard

Click click bloody click pancakes!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 09:50:57 AM »

I've always liked werewolves better than vampires.  Must come from my WoD days when the vampires were all either snotty or emo, and the werewolves were all about pack/family/stick-together/hey-who-wants-to-eat-a-deer-and-grab-some-brews?

Werewolves >>> vampires.

Amber
Wizard

Enchanted Storm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 10:36:41 AM »

I really liked the adaptation of ideas of Fool Moon into this episode.  You would never be able to justice (Even close) to Fool Moon in an episode of television.  This was a great episode.  The acting was better (not as much Murphy?), though the werewolf did have a few Shatner school of acting moments early in the episode.  The plot construction was a great deal better.  (Though I thought the woman in the bad wig in the memories was a little obvious to the viewers... of COURSE she was the FBI agent.)  I loved the trick with the mirror.  That was a great bit of magic.  As was the fake Harry.

VERY happy with this one.  If the rest of the show holds up to this level, it will definitely be one of my favorite shows.

(I also liked the way the girl liked Harry, but he couldn't HAVE her.  That's very Harry-from-the books, having to turn away from a hot woman.)

~Amber~
Miss Edith
Mortal

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2007, 10:38:44 AM »

I've always liked werewolves better than vampires.  Must come from my WoD days when the vampires were all either snotty or emo, and the werewolves were all about pack/family/stick-together/hey-who-wants-to-eat-a-deer-and-grab-some-brews?

Werewolves >>> vampires.

Hey Kali - take it you were not a Buffy fan?  I always fell on the Spike side of the vampire fence, but Angel was no slouch in the sexy department either.  Was never into werewolves - cuteness of Oz notwithstanding.

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened.   Happiness never decreases by being shared.
von Bek
Wizard

Shadow Sorcerer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2007, 11:02:57 AM »

A better episode than the previous two, definitely.  Very solid, I thought.

I do wonder where the two agents got their arcane ritual knowledge from, though Wink

--"You always a wiseass?"
~"No, sometimes I'm asleep."
whoknowswhy
Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2007, 11:06:01 AM »

I also enjoyed the vuagely Susan-ish overtones in the girl's story.  Obviously they're not going to tell that tale, as they're minimizing Susan's role in the TV series, so it was nifty for the TV crew to find a place for those plot elements.

Just a note: Wasn't that hair sniff scene sexy as hell?!

Oh good, it wasn't just me.  I was worried I'd somehow developed a hair-sniffing fetish without realizing it.  Yes, this was MAD sexy.  Makes-me-wish-I-had-TiVo sexy.

Whew...I too, was worried I was alone in my reaction to that scene.

Just a note: Wasn't that hair sniff scene sexy as hell?!

So happy it wasn't just me that thought that. And then there was that kiss... woah. I think I'll watch it again when I get home Smiley

Me, too!

Forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission.
CBeilby
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2007, 11:12:19 AM »

Personally, I'm hoping that this is in fact the start of a larger Story Arc, one which will eventually lead into the events of Fool Moon.
swalizer
Apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2007, 11:27:47 AM »

Personally, I'm hoping that this is in fact the start of a larger Story Arc, one which will eventually lead into the events of Fool Moon.

+1 to that. It's also worth noting that there was a lot more going on in Fool Moon than just the werewolf FBI agents.
jimbutcher
White Council
Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2007, 12:30:44 PM »

Well.  I think I'm coming to the conclusion now that no matter how many times I say something, it won't get through to everyone, but I'll give it one more shot before I quit. Smiley

The show is not the books.  It is not meant to follow the same story.  It is meant as an alternate world, where the overall background and story-world is similar, but not all the same things happen.  The show is not attempting to recreate the books on a chapter-by-chapter or even story-by-story basis.

So, once again, let me stress the fact that I would not hold my breath waiting for them to duplicate the books.  That isn't the goal of the folks working on the show, and as long as folks persist in judging the show against a standard of "how well does it clone the book," those folks are going to be continually disappointed.

Watch the show for what it is, guys. Smiley  I think I'll stop playing this same song from here on out.

Jim
Purpura
Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2007, 12:42:20 PM »

I agree. The people that work on the show have to make it different in some ways so that people can tell them apart- even though they have the same Harry Dresden named character, it has to be different...
I happen to like the differences in the show and the books. Keep up the good work TV People, and Jim! YAY!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: