Forum Posts: 701
New Members: 118
Participation Points: 10040.30

Author
apb
Forum Full Member

Importing .mid into GB tempo/BPM issues
Monday, March 24 2008 @ 11:59 AM CDT

.. while I'm avoiding playing guitar & singing (due to recovering from a neck problem), I was looking into this alternative area... importing a .mid file into GB ..

I've done it before with some old .mid files I had from long ago ..
no problem .. no tempo issues.

Now for the first time I tried using a 3rd party apparently royalty free one from here:http://www.hamienet.com/midi16874_To-Keep-My-Love-Alive.html

But no matter what I do (even with the modifications possible there)
I can't can't get the darn thing to match in BPM with the GB click.

Any ideas, help appreciated .. should be 'quick' in principle ..
sling it in .. assign new instruments... and Bob's your auntie etc..

The page says the file is 120 Ticks per Quarter note .. then also says quarter note = 60 and "Adagio".

PS. I use GBv3. and I have tried (I think) all the tempo adjustment ..
some work .. some don't .. most result in GB assigning the BPM as
40 on import. I just want it to match .. so I can adjust the tempo
afterwards to whatever I want. I noticed by using the modify options and removed track 1 .. I got a file that imported 5 separated tracks .. all other options resulted in a merged 1 track on import.

If someone knows how to 'fix it' could you transpose it down too ..
6 steps .. (same key as the Blossom Dearie version).

Thanks in advance.

Oh if anyone finds it 'just works' fine and dandy with Logic .. that's
good to know too .. as I have Logic Pro 7 too. Smile

/Alan
michael2
Forum Full Member

Re:Importing .mid into GB tempo/BPM issues
Monday, March 24 2008 @ 02:46 PM CDT

i had the same problem before. drop Drakonis a line, he was the one who knew what to do with it. plus it's always nice to talk with the guy.
kingbee
Forum Regular Poster

Monday, March 24 2008 @ 04:02 PM CDT

Do you mean importing MIDI files?
If yes then could you please tell me how?
I have many songs in an old version of Logic and was thinking of trying to export the files as MIDI files and dragging them into GB ( I have version 3).
Any possibilty of that being do-able?
drakonis
Forum Full Member

Monday, March 24 2008 @ 05:00 PM CDT

Funny, despite being swamped at work, I actually took the MIDI file and did some loading/playing with it with magic dragon midi tools, and transposed it down for you this morning... I should send you what I came up with. It LOOKS to me like the notes are being played at 120 BPM, but with all the tied notes across bars, it looks like it is a half-a-bar off or something (shifted in time.) I'll e-mail the fixed-up MIDIs, maybe they'll be helpful.
ttfn,
Drakonis

Deja vu - It's the next best thing to being there
### Today's song:Andes Off!- Take 3 (with Video!)
apb
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, March 25 2008 @ 07:14 AM CDT

Quote by: kingbee
Do you mean importing MIDI files?
If yes then could you please tell me how?
I have many songs in an old version of Logic and was thinking of trying to export the files as MIDI files and dragging them into GB ( I have version 3).
Any possibilty of that being do-able?

It's certainly do-able .. but .. seems to have some problems from time to time depending on the midi file (like I am having).. you can in Logic Pro 7 at least export each soft instrument track as a midi file .. and you just drag and drop that file into the GB track window .. and as a recognised file type .. GB turns the pointer into a + thingie .. and you can then decided where you want it to start.

The midi files themselves can be constructed differently at least it seems..so you might get more than one track all merged into one track on import... hence I suggest exported from Logic one individual track at a time...

GBv3 at least cannot export anything as .mid Frown .. you need something like Logic to do that.
apb
Forum Full Member

Tuesday, March 25 2008 @ 07:24 AM CDT

Quote by: drakonis
Funny, despite being swamped at work, I actually took the MIDI file and did some loading/playing with it with magic dragon midi tools, and transposed it down for you this morning... I should send you what I came up with. It LOOKS to me like the notes are being played at 120 BPM, but with all the tied notes across bars, it looks like it is a half-a-bar off or something (shifted in time.) I'll e-mail the fixed-up MIDIs, maybe they'll be helpful.
ttfn,
Drakonis

Thanks Eduard .. still not quite right yet .. weird. (yes I think you are right it does seem closest to 120BPM .. but still not bang on) ..I tried some manual shifting too .. but again the finest granularity in GB didn't allow me to get a match .. might need to try this in Logic...eek - *gulps* .. anyways, thanks for trying (I sent you a mail too) Smile

Search This Forum: