University Libraries > Libraries & Departments > Government Publications >
Foreign Information by Country >
United Kingdom (British Studies)
Government Publications has primary source materials for the United Kingdom from the 1300s to the present. The collection is not all
in Chinook; to locate this material visit the reference desk and/or use the Finding Guide.
Government Information | Country Profiles | Articles & Databases | Diplomatic Relations | Health | Peacekeeping & Military Information | Resources in the Catalog | Related Topics
British Government Information
British Crown Dependencies
Constitutional Monarchies of the UK: Queen as Sovereign
Overseas Territories of the UK
Government Information | Articles & Databases | Diplomatic Relations | Health | Peacekeeping & Military Information | Resources in the Catalog | Related Topics
- Australian Government - United Kingdom
Country profile, economic and trade information, and foreign relations from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
- BBC News Profile - United Kingdom
A guide to history, politics and economic background of countries from BBC News.
- CIA World Factbook - United Kingdom
Country profile provides information on country background, geography, people, government, communications, transportation, military, and transnational issues.
- European Union Member States - United Kingdom
The EU is a supernational union comprised of 27 member states.
- CORDIS - United Kingdom
Member state site for the European Union's CORDIS (Community Research and Development Information Service for Science, Research and Development).
- EUbusiness - UK
Country profile, business guides, and business news from EUbusiness (an independent online business information service about the European Union).
- European Judicial Network - United Kingdom
Information on how to obtain justice in civil and commercial matters.
- FAO and the United Kingdom
Information on economic and agricultural issues from the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). It also has a good selection of maps.
- Human Development Report on United Kingdom
Provides quick statistics on human development, economy, labor force, and population from the United Nations Development Programme. Country factsheet is also available.
- Human Rights Watch - United Kingdom
Country background, news and reports related to human rights.
- IAEA - United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Country factsheet on
multilateral and safeguard agreements from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
- IEA - Great Britain
Country information, energy-related statistics, graphs and publications from the International Energy Agency (IEA).
- IMF - United Kingdom
Country information, reports and publications from the International Monetary Fund.
- India Foreign Relations Brief - United Kingdom
Country briefs from India's Ministry of External Affairs.
- ITC - United Kingdom
Country-specific trade and market profiles, map, and trade statistics from the International Trade Centre (ITC).
- Library of Congress - United Kingdom
Country portal and resources compiled by the Library of Congress subject experts.
- OECD - United Kingdom
Country information, statistics, publications, and news from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).
- OHCHR - United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Country background, treaties, reporting status, calendar of events and publications related to human rights from the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner on Human Rights (OHCHR).
- UNEP - United Kingdom
Country environmental profile from the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
- UNESCO Worldwide - United Kingdom and Northern Ireland
Highlights cooperation between the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and its Member States.
- United Nations Country @ a Glance - United Kingdom
Country overview, news, economy, environment, health and technology from the United Nations Cyberschoolbus.
- United Nations Statistics Division: Environment Snapshot - United Kingdom
Country snapshots offer national environment statistics.
- United Nations Statistics Division: National Accounts - United Kingdom
"Statistics database contains a complete and consistent set of time series from 1970 onwards of main national accounts aggregates for all UN Members States and all other countries and areas in the world."
- U.S. Census Bureau Foreign Trade Statistics - United Kingdom
trade in goods (imports, exports and balance) with United Kingdom.
- U.S. Commercial Service - United Kingdom
Country profile about doing business abroad by the Commercial Service, the global business solutions unit of the Department of Commerce.
- U.S. Department of Energy - United Kingdom
Country energy profile for production, consumption, U.S. oil imports, and CO2 emissions.
- U.S. Department of Energy - European Union
Regional analysis briefs on energy consumption and exports in the European Union (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom).
- U.S. Department of Energy - North Sea
Regional analysis briefs on energy consumption and exports in the North Sea (Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands, Norway, and the United Kingdom).
- U.S. Department of Energy - United Kingdom
Country analysis briefs on energy consumption and exports.
Government Information | Country Profiles | Diplomatic Relations | Health | Peacekeeping & Military Information | Resources in the Catalog | Related Topics
Articles and Databases
- British Government and Politics on the Internet (University of Keele) provides a detailed list of government web sites, as well as political and election web sites related to government.
- British History Online is a digital library containing some of the core printed primary and secondary sources for the medieval and modern history of the British Isles.
- British and Irish Legal Information provides access to cases and legislation from the United Kingdom and links to law journals and other law-related information.
- Britannia: England, UK, Wales and Scotland includes history, monarchs, travel, newspapers, and a description of the government and parliamentary process, links to government servers, maps, and other information.
- Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) Declassified Documents
Declassified information available from the FOIA Electronic Reading Room.
Enter "Great Britain" or "United Kingdom" as the search terms.
- National Intelligence Council (NIC) Declassified Documents
Database of intelligence reports, National Intelligence Estimates, and other publications produced by the National Intelligence Council or its predecessor organizations, the Office of National Estimates and the Office of Reports and Estimates since 1946.
- CRS Reports - LexisNexis Congressional CU
The Congressional Research Service (CRS), the research arm of Congress, prepares reports (usually under 20 pages long) on topics of interest to members of Congress. Enter "Great Britain" or "United Kingdom" as the search terms.
- CD-ROMs available on computers in the Government Publications library:
- British Parliamentary Papers 1990- Readex index to Official Documents and Command Papers of the British Parliament. There is an online guide to printed indexes.
- Calendar of State Papers, Colonial: North America and the West Indies, 1574-1739 This CD-ROM includes documents from 1574-1739 in over 40,000 transcripts and extended abstracts. This material covers a wide range of subject areas, including: correspondence to and from colonial governors; orders and grants from central government to local administration; information from the localities; information about the slave trade and piracy, and much more.
- Indexes of British Parliamentary Papers, 1801-1945 Bruise Shoin index to Official Documents and Command Papers of the British Parliament. House of Commons: 1801-1944/45. House of Lords: 1801-1922. Includes biographical information on members of Parliament. There is an online guide to printed indexes.
- Indexes of House of Commons Parliamentary Papers, 1801-2000 This Chadwick-Healey database contains the first cumulative index of all House of Commons parliamentary papers published from 1801 to the current decade. It draws together material from Chadwick-Healey's Subject Catalogue of the House of Commons parliamentary papers 1801-1900, the House of Commons decennial indexes covering the period 1900-1979, and data from the Parliamentary Online Information Service (POLIS) Database from 2001 onwards. There is an online guide to printed indexes.
- UKOP: United Kingdom Official Publications A single source of information on the publications of official documents published by HMSO or directly by official organizations in the UK, from 1980 onwards. Also included are publications of international organizations distributed by HMSO
- Declassified Documents Reference System CU
Search this database to find declassified documents related to the United Kingdom.
- Defense Technical Information Center (DTIC)
Department of Defense Scientific and Technical Reports Collection provides access to citations to unclassified unlimited documents that have been entered into DTIC's Technical Reports (TR) Database, as well as the electronic full-text of many of these documents. The site also includes databases that focus on individual topics.
- Digital National Security Archive CU
Database of primary declassified documents regarding critical U.S. policy decisions. Enter "Great Britain" or "United Kingdom" as the search terms.
- Early English Books Online CU Searchable full text of over 12,000 EEBO titles chosen from the New Cambridge Bibliography of English Literature. Many are also included in EEBO. Additional titles are added monthly. When complete, EEBO-TCP will contain 25,000 texts.
- Empire Online CU This database contains 70,000 original documents relating to Empire Studies. These documents cover the from 1492-1962 and are accompanied by essays and biographies from leading scholars.
Free database provides access to European Union treaties, legislation, case-law, parliamentary questions, legislative proposals, the Official Journal of the European Union, and the European Court Reports.
Statistical data and publications from the European Commission.
- Facts on International Relations and Security Trends (FIRST)
An integrated database containing information on armed conflicts and peace keeping, arms production and trade, military expenditure, armed forces and weapons.
- Global Legal Information Network (GLIN)
"Public database of official texts of laws, regulations, judicial decisions, and other complementary legal sources contributed by governmental agencies and international organizations."
- History, Europe - Primary Sources CU
Collection of databases from the University of Colorado covering primary resources from Europe.
- History, Europe - Secondary Sources CU
Collection of databases from the University of Colorado covering secondary resources from Europe.
- International Area Studies Europe CU
Collection of databases from the University of Colorado covering Europe.
- International Area Studies General CU
Collection of general databases from the University of Colorado covering international issues.
- International Area Studies Statistics CU
Collection of international statistics databases from the University of Colorado.
- LexisNexis Academic Country & Region Reports CU
News, country briefings, and country risk guides. Filter by country or choose "Country & Region Reports" from publication type.
- Macmillan Cabinet Papers 1957-1963 CU Macmillan was the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, read full-text primary sources covering such subjects as Apartheid in South Africa, the Berlin Wall, and the Cuban Missile Crisis.
- SourceOECD CU
The Organisation for Economic
Co-operation and Development's (OECD) online collection of statistical databases, books and periodicals.
- Spartacus Encyclopedia of British History 1700-1950 a free resource for all students of British history. The encyclopedia currently contains over 2,000 entries and is an attempt to show the history of Britain through the eyes of people from all levels of society.
- Time Digital Archive, 1785-1985 CU Searchable access to the complete backfile of The Times (London), available in full page images.
- WDI Online CU
World Development Indicators (WDI) online
contains statistical data on the global economy from the
- WHO/Europe Databases
Databases of national health statistics and other data on the health situation in European countries.
- Worldwide Incidents Tracking System (WITS)
WITS is the National Counterterrorism Center's database of terrorist incidents. The WITS database coverage is currently from 1/1/2004 to 6/30/2007 and is updated quarterly.
Government Information | Country Profiles | Articles & Databases | Health | Peacekeeping & Military Information | Resources in the Catalog | Related Topics
Diplomacy, Programs and Aid
- British Embassy in the United States
Diplomatic representation of the United Kingdom in the United States.
- Commonwealth of Nations - United Kingdom
"The Commonwealth is an association of 53 independent states consulting and co-operating in the common interests of their peoples and in the promotion of international understanding and world peace. The Commonwealth's 2 billion citizens, about 30 per cent of the world's population, are drawn from the broadest range of faiths, races, cultures and traditions."
- Council of Europe and the United Kingdom
"Founded in 1949, the Council of Europe seeks to develop throughout Europe common and democratic principles based on the European Convention on Human Rights and other reference texts on the protection of individuals." There are 47 member states.
- Embassy of the United States in London, UK
Diplomatic representation of the U.S. in the United Kingdom. They also have an embassy in Cardiff.
- European Commission Representation in the United Kingdom
Country site for the European Commission, the executive branch of the European Union.
- Group of Eight (G-8) Information Centre
The G8 is an international forum for the governments of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States.
- Group of Twenty (G-20)
The G-20 is a group of 19 of the world's largest economies and the European Union. The G-20 is an informal forum that promotes open and constructive discussion between industrial and emerging-market countries on key issues related to global economic stability.
- NATO Member Country
The United Kingdom is a member of the
North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO), an alliance of 26 countries from North America and Europe committed to fulfilling the North Atlantic Treaty signed on April 4, 1949.
- Permanent Mission of the United Kingdom to the United Nations
Website of member state missions and their representatives to the United Nations.
- ReliefWeb - United Kingdom
ReliefWeb, administered by the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), provides news, documents, maps, and background information on emergency assistance by country.
- UNHCR - United Kingdom
News, operations, statistics, background, analysis and policy, and maps from the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.
- United Nations Association of United Kingdom
UN system in United Kingdom.
- United Nations Division for Sustainable Development - United Kingdom
Economic, social and environmental policies and plans for sustainable development from the UN Department Economic and Social Affairs.
- U.S. Department of State - United Kingdom
U.S.-British relations, diplomacy, and country background notes.
- Background Notes - United Kingdom
Provides country background and foreign policy information for the American public from the Department of State's Bureau of Public Affairs.
- World Trade Organization - United Kingdom
Provides key information on trade statistics, WTO commitments, disputes, trade policy reviews, and notifications for member countries.
Government Information | Country Profiles | Articles & Databases | Diplomatic Relations | Peacekeeping & Military Information | Resources in the Catalog | Related Topics
- UNAIDS - United Kingdom
Country situation analysis and news from the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS.
- WHO - United Kingdom
Information and statistics on the status of public health in the United Kingdom from the World Health Organization (WHO).
Official site of the World Health Organization Europe (WHO/Europe).
Government Information | Country Profiles | Articles & Databases | Diplomatic Relations | Health | Resources in the Catalog | Related Topics
Peacekeeping and Military Information
- International Court of Justice (ICJ)
ICJ is the principal judicial organ of the United Nations. ICJ "has a twofold role: to settle, in accordance with international law, legal disputes submitted to it by States (Contentious cases ) and to give advisory opinions (Advisory proceedings) on legal questions referred to it by duly authorized United Nations organs and specialized agencies."
- NTI - United Kingdom Profile
Nuclear, biological, chemical and missile development programs, policies and activities from the Nuclear Threat Initiative (NTI). NTI is non-profit organization with a mission to strengthen global security and fulfill the Non-Proliferation Treaty's goals and ambitions. NTI's members are from the United States, Russia, Japan, India, Pakistan, China, Jordan, Sweden, France and the United Kingdom.
- Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe
The OSCE is responsible for post-conflict elections, human rights and regional military stabilization. There are 56 participating states (including the United Kingdom).
- United Kingdom: Security Assistance
Country-by-country listing provides information on Political-Military-administered security assistance funds from the US Bureau of Political-Military Affairs.
- United Nations Security Council Permanent Member
The UN Security Council is responsible for the maintenance of international peace and security. The Council is composed of five permanent members — China, France, Russian Federation, the United Kingdom and the United States — and ten nonpermanent members that are elected by the General Assembly for two-year terms and not eligible for immediate re-election.
Government Information | Country Profiles | Articles & Databases | Diplomatic Relations | Health | Peacekeeping & Military Information | Related Topics
For additional foreign information, arranged by subject, see the Subject Page.
Resources in the Catalog
Government Information | Country Profiles | Articles & Databases | Diplomatic Relations | Health | Peacekeeping & Military Information | Resources in the Catalog