The University was established as a subsidiary organ of the OIC in implementation of the resolution No.5/9-E of the Ninth Islamic Conference of Foreign Ministers, held in Dakar, Republic of Senegal, in April 1978, initially named as ICTVTR, and later Islamic Institute of Technology.
The name was changed to the Islamic University of Technology (IUT) according to the resolution 48/28 adopted by the 28th ICFM held in Mali on 25-27 June 2001.OBJECTIVES:
The main objective of the University is to help generally in human resources development in the Member States of the OIC in the fields of engineering, technology, technical and vocational education, and in particular to:
- Provide instruction in technology, science and engineering, technical and vocational education and in such branches of learning connected with the above fields as per requirement of the Member States and as approved by the Conference, and in particular, train engineers, instructors, technicians and tradesmen in technologies and trades needed in the Member States and to upgrade the mid level and lower level manpower to international standards.
- Conduct, promote and guide research in industrial and technological fields and in technical and vocational education to the benefits of the Member States of the OIC.
- Hold examinations and grant and confer certificates, degrees and diplomas and other academic distinctions on persons who have pursued courses of study provided by the University and have passed the examinations of the University under such conditions as may be prescribed by the academic rules and regulations of the University.
- May confer other academic distinctions on persons of high eminence of the Member States with the approval of the Joint General Assembly on the recommendation of the Board.
- Promote technical cooperation, exchange technical know-how and disseminate basic information in the field of human resource development through short and special courses, seminars, workshops and publications.
- Ensure coordination between the objective of the University with other national and regional institutions of the Islamic Countries as well as with international institutions.
- Undertake advisory and consultancy services for Government, International Bodies and Foundations or allied organizations.
- Participate in the meetings of commissions and committees established by the Conference with appropriate background and technical papers.
- Cooperate and collaborate with the General Secretariat, and with other subsidiary and affiliated organs of the Conference.
The University is located at Board Bazar, Gazipur, Dhaka, People’s Republic of Bangladesh.ADDRESS
G.P.O. Box No. 3003 Ramna
P.O. K.B. Bazar Joydevpur
District Gazipur – 1704
Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
Tel: (8802) 9291250, 9291252
Fax: (8802) 9291260