From Scp Wiki
Object Class: Keter
Special Containment Procedures: SCP-008 samples are an extreme biological hazard and all related protocols apply. Incineration and irradiation measures will be deployed in the event of political or military action which may result in the facility being dismantled, a power failure or zero communications from operatives or outside channels during any given eight hour period. The quarantine period for operatives leaving the facility is four months. If a breach has occurred, incineration and irradiation measures shall be deployed. It should be the policy of all facilities not to prepare an evacuation procedure.
Description: SCP-008 is a complex prion found stored in each of the known G2 sites. Research into SCP-008 is highly classified and primarily aimed at preventing research which may lead to the synthesis of SCP-008 in the distant future. Symptomatic functions of the SCP-008 prion will be given.
- 100% lethality.
- Transmission through exposed mucus membranes and all bodily fluids.
- Not airborne. Not waterborne.
- Symptoms are flu-like with high fever and severe dementia in later stages.
- Coma onset approximately 20 hours after first symptoms appear and 12 hours after noticeable dementia.
- Post-coma, all bodily tissues assume their original functions at a reduced rate. SCP-008 infected blood cells increase oxygen storage capacity allowing slower blood flow and increased muscle endurance.
- Conditioned behaviour, motor controls and instinctive behavioural mechanisms are maintained in humans whilst animals experience excessive brain necrosis.
- Neutralization requires significant cranial trauma.
There is strong evidence to suggest SCP-008 itself did not form naturally on earth, since variants of similiar complexity would have displaced much of the ecosystem. In 1959 a short collaborative effort with the USSR to locate G2 sites and eliminate SCP-008 was negotiated following their discovery. The status of SCP-008 in Russian custody since collaboration ended is unknown.