The Romantic Age
- Joanna Baillie, Plays on the Passions, ed. Duthie, Broadview Press.
- Edmund Burke. A Philosophical Essay into ... the Sublime and the Beautiful. Oxford World Classics.
- Sir Walter Scott, The Lady of the Lake, ed. Graver, handout.
- Mary Shelley, Frankenstein, Oxford World Classics.
- Wolfson and Manning, Editors. Longman Anthology of British Literature: 2A: The Romantics.
Schedule of Readings
- Sep 7 Introduction
- Sep 9 Burke's Enquiry, pp. 29-114
- Sep 14 Burke's Enquiry, pp. 115-end
- Sep 16 William Blake, Introduction, Wolfson-Manning, pp. 112-118
- Sep 21 William Blake, Songs of Innocence, W-M, pp. 118-124
- Sep 23 William Blake, Songs of Innocence and Experience, W-M, pp. 118-135
- Sep 28 Coleridge, Conversation Poems, W-M, pp. 522-526, 562-566
- Sep 30 Coleridge, "Rime of the Ancient Mariner," W-M, pp. 526-544
- Oct 5 Coleridge, "Kubla Khan," W-M, pp. 545-547
- Oct 7 Joanna Baillie, "Introductory Discourse," Plays, pp. 67-113
- Oct 14 Oct 19 Joanna Baillie, De Monfort, Plays pp. 299-387.
- Oct 19 Wordsworth, "Tintern Abbey," W-M, pp. 352-356
- Oct 21 Wordsworth, Lyrical Ballads, 1800, W-M, pp. 362-380
- Oct 26 Wordsworth, "Ode: Intimations of Immortality" W-M, pp. 454-460
- Oct. 28 Midterm Examination
- Nov 2 Scott, The Lady of the Lake, Cantos I-III
- Nov 4 Scott, The Lady of the Lake, Cantos IV-V.
- Nov 9 M. Shelley, Frankenstein
- Nov 11 M. Shelley, Frankenstein
- Nov 16 P. Shelley, Early Poems, W-M, pp. 752-761
- Nov 18 P. Shelley, Odes, W-M, pp. 771-776
- Nov 23 Byron, Manfred, W-M, pp. 603-43.
- Nov 30 Clare, W-M, pp. 841-51.
- Dec 2 Keats, "Eve of St. Agnes," W-M. pp. 865-76.
- Dec 7 Keats, Odes, W-M, pp. 877-86.
- Dec 9 Keats, Odes, W-M, pp. 877-86.
Assignments in this class will be of several kinds.
- Each student will write one 5-7 page paper on material from the course. This paper will be due on October 10.
- Each student will write a 10-12 page term paper on something from the course; it will be due on December 9.
- There will also be a midterm (October 28) and a final exam.
- Attendance is required, and class participation will figure in the final grade
- Instructor: Bruce Graver
- Office: Library 130
- E-mail: email@example.com
This page last updated September 7, 2004