FON Boards Forum Index FON Boards
The Fonero meeting point

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

boost up output power of FON linksys router
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
primus1024
Fonero C

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 01:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the limit is put on EIRP (Effective Isotropic Radiated Power) which is the power antenna is transmiting and not on power of transmiter. So if you have very good antenna you have to limit the transmiter power. Well I may be wrong as I'm not from US ...
With your idea you would also use all non overlaping channels which is not very nice to your neighbours. They might also like to use their wlan Wink
AustinTX
FON-FRIENDS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 02:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

primus1024 wrote:
With your idea you would also use all non overlaping channels which is not very nice to your neighbours. They might also like to use their wlan Wink
Can't anyone in a given sector still choose from two different clear channels that i'm not using?

[ El Fon Blog ][ RSS Feed ][ skype:elfonblog ][ gizmo:therealelfonblog ]

Last edited by AustinTX on Fri Nov 17, 2006 04:40; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
primus1024
Fonero C

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 02:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

The channels used by wifi routers are overlapping.
Only 3 channels don't overlap (1, 6, 11).

You can use other channels but if anyone near you is using channel that overlaps with yours, neither of you will get full speed that is possible otherwise.
Crash
Fonero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 03:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems everyone in my neighborhood is running on channel 6, which is usually the default for most routers. I have two access points in my house; one for Fon, and a private network for my own equipment. One runs on channel 1, the other on 11.
AustinTX
FON-FRIENDS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 04:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

This chart may help you visualize how wifi channels overlap:

Do not think of each channel as a frequency. Each channel is a range of frequencies of the same width, but which start at different absolute frequencies. It is safe to pick any channel which does not share any frequencies with another channel in use in the same area. It is inaccurate to state that only three channels do not overlap. You can see that if either channel 1 or 11 are allready in use, there are as many as 6 different channels to choose from that don't overlap. Ch 1, 6 and 11 are the favored choices because it gives you the widest range with the least chance of interfering with other channels. You might use channels 2-5 if there is noone using either channel 1 or 6-7-8-9, but something is causing radio interference at the low end of 1 or the high end of 6. Cool

BTW: the channels on cordless phones do not follow this convention, nor do their channels correspond with wifi channels in any way, even if they are laid out somewhere in the "2.4Ghz band". That is to say, do not bother switching your cordless phone to "channel 2" to avoid interfering with your wifi on channel 1. It uses an entirely different definition of what a "channel" is. This is something a friend of mine still does not understand. Laughing

Last edited by AustinTX on Fri Nov 17, 2006 04:41; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Abasota
Fonero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

The statement:
Primus1024 and AustinTX wrote:
Channels one, six and eleven do not overlap
is nor true, there is no channel without overlap. Or, conversely: all channels overlap.

- Channel 1 overlaps with channels 2 to 5
- Channel 6 overlaps with channels 3, 4 5 7, 8, 9 and 10
- Channel 11 overlaps with channels 7, 8, 9, 10

If you meant channels 1, 6 and 11 are quite separated, so are:
- channels 1 and 7 or 1 and 8 or 1 and 9 or 1 and 10
- channels 2 and 7 or 2 and 11
- channels 3 and 8 or 3 and 11
etc.
primus1024
Fonero C

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see this topic became quite active Smile

So here it goes:

1. @AustinTX: at the time of my reply I didn't see the map with sectors you posted (it was 2:44 in the morning ... I must have been blind or something), sorry about it, and of course, you are wright, you wouldn't use all channels and your neighbours would be quite pleased Smile

Quote:
You can see that if either channel 1 or 11 are allready in use, there are as many as 6 different channels to choose from that don't overlap.

It is true, that if someone is using channel 1 you can select 6 other channels without overlap, but as soon as third person brings wifi in the area, there will be overlapping channels if you didn't select channel 6 or channel 11 (and the third person did select the other non overlaping channel). I guess I should've been much clearer about it when I said that there are only 3 non ovelaping channels.

3. @Abasota: My point is that you can safely use channels 1, 6 and 11 in the same place and channels will not overlap.

@all who are waiting in line to correct me Smile : Of course there are a bunch of combinations with non overlaping 2 channels, but when was the last time you've seen area with just 1 channel used?
Abasota
Fonero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Primus1024,

I see your point now. I agree
Crash
Fonero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this thread seems to have taken on new meaning, and you guys seem so knowledagble about this channel thing, let me ask you this...

My Fon WRT54GL running on channel 1 is stacked on my non-Fon WRT54G v3.0 running on channel 11 (and both sit on top of a Vonage non-WiFi Linksys router). I understand these channels don't overlap, but are there any other issues that I should be concerned with as far as having the two WiFi routers so close to one another?
primus1024
Fonero C

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two wrt54g's one on top of the other and they were running quite hot. I suggest you check how hot do they get and that they are not on direct sunlight. The heat might be a problem in summer and may cause disconnects ...
I did not notice any difference of quallity of the signal when they were stacked or approximatelly 1 meter apart (3 feet). I use different antenna than the one that came with router so that might make a difference ...
Crash
Fonero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Primus...

Heat was an issue when I first stacked the WRT54G and my Vonage router, but that was resolved with a small fan that I have pointed at the routers. It hasn't been a problem recently.
AustinTX
FON-FRIENDS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a large, flat heat sink to place on my router cpu, just because I had it around and thought it was cool. Then I was suprised by how hot the heat sink got. So I have added a little fan now, too. Cool

I'm beginning to wonder if it is really a good idea to install this router outdoors since it runs so hot to begin with. I hoisted it up into my tree this past weekend to see what kind of range I got.... I could see the SSID for a couple of blocks away, but lost the connection and could not reconnect when only 2 houses away on either side. Sad
Abasota
Fonero

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

On behalf of the European FONners I would like to point out how ITU Region 1 differs to Region 2 (America). In Europe ISM bands are not channelized, despite all commercial devices being sold here are channelized. Specifically, Wifi devices have 14 channels as the WRT54G does. 11 of which can be used in America, 13 in France, and 14 in the rest of Europe (channel 14 cannot be used in France).

Therefore channel useage in Europe has more valid non-overlapping combinations than the figure below (posted earlier by AustinTX)

European sites having:
  • 3 routers have 4 non-overlapping combinations: channels 1, 6 and 11, or 2, 7 and 12, or 3, 8 and 13, or 4, 9 and 14
  • 2 routers have many multiple combinations: 1 and any channel between 6... and 14, 2 and any channel between 7 y 14, etc.
Recall the figure above refers to the American channel allocation only, no to the European.
AustinTX
FON-FRIENDS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a more complete chart of the channels and how they overlap. 1-11 are all that are allowed in the USA, 12-13 are also used in EU, and 14 is also used in Japan. Looking at the chart, notice that Ch 14 is not offset the same way as the other channels. This is not done just for illustration purposes here. Ch 14 starts on the same frequency that Ch 11 ends on, without the usual gap of 5 mhz, so that in Japan one can choose from FOUR different channels that (relatively) do not interfere with each other. Cool

Last edited by AustinTX on Fri Nov 17, 2006 04:42; edited 1 time in total
Abasota
Fonero

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you AustinTX for clarifying this.

Therefore European sites having:
  • 3 routers have 9 non-overlapping combinations: channels 1, 6 and 11, (or 12 or 13) or 1, 7 and 12 (or 13), or 1, 8 and 13 or 2, 7 and 12 (or 13) or 3, 8 y 13
  • 2 routers have many multiple combinations: 1 and any channel between 6... and 13, 2 and any channel between 7 y 13, etc.
AustinTX
FON-FRIENDS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 04:59    Post subject: Whoah, Hoss! Reply with quote

Continuing with the topic of beating dead horses, I thought i'd share a chart showing which frequencies are used for wifi by country:
Channel_Center Frequency____Frequency Range

So i'm thinking: poor Spain! Laughing

Last edited by AustinTX on Fri Nov 17, 2006 04:43; edited 1 time in total
Abasota
Fonero

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:02    Post subject: Re: Whoah, Hoss! Reply with quote

AustinTX wrote:

Fortunately that table is not current. It might be 8 years old, at least.
AustinTX
FON-FRIENDS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 17:32    Post subject: Re: Whoah, Hoss! Reply with quote

Ugh. I had deleted this entry but it came back!

Last edited by AustinTX on Mon Apr 10, 2006 21:41; edited 1 time in total
AustinTX
FON-FRIENDS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 17:52    Post subject: Re: Whoah, Hoss! Reply with quote

[quote="AustinTX"]
Abasota wrote:
AustinTX wrote:

Fortunately that table is not current. It might be 8 years old, at least.
Ouch. But this table comes from Brainslayer's own documentation for DD-WRT...

I just did some checking up on the internet (google, wikipedia, product data sheets) and they all seem to agree that Spain can only use channels 10 and 11.

What are your information sources?
Abasota
Fonero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:13    Post subject: Re: Whoah, Hoss! Reply with quote

AustinTX wrote:
What are your information sources?

Frequency allocation in Spain is regulated by the Spanish Frequency Allocation Table: Cuadro Nacional de Atribución de Frecuencias (CNAF). Wifi is specifically regulated by UN-85, (National Usage 85) that also limits EIRP to 100mW or 20 dBm

In principle, all countries within the same ITU Region should have the same Frequency Allocation Table. Nevertheless every county can be more specific by issuing National Usage Clauses.

That implies the Spanish CNAF is harmonized with all other EU (and all Region 1) countries , but UN-85 could set limits to Wifi usage within Spain (at the current UN-85 you can verify nothing significant has been limited).

I would also like to point out the fact that the Wifi band in Europe is not allocated into channels, as the FCC did for the USA.

Could you please forward this post to Brainslayer and other mislead persons you might know?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FON Boards Forum Index -> Wi-Fi Routers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: