IRAD Home Page
IRAD Region Map
IRAD Research Policy
Depository Addresses
IRAD Local Governmental
Records Database
Administrative Histories
Record Descriptions
Links to Other Sites
Vermilion County Fact Sheet

Addresses for County Courthouse and IRAD:

Vermilion County Courthouse
6 N. Vermilion
Danville, IL 61832–5879
  • Telephone:

County Clerk
Circuit Clerk
Recorder
 

(217) 431-2607
(217) 431-2540
(217) 431-2604
 

Illinois Regional Archives Depository
Illinois State University
2016 Warehouse Road
Campus Box 1520
Normal, IL 61790-1520
  • Telephone: (309) 452-6027

Established:

January 18, 1826 (Laws, 1826, p. 50)

     
Origin of the name of the county:
  Named after the Vermilion River, the principal branches of which flow through the county.
     
Present area, or parts of it, formerly included in:
 

1823–1826

Edgar

 

1819–1823

Clark

 

1816–1819

Crawford

 

1815–1816

Edwards

 

1812–1815

Madison

 

1801–1812

St. Clair

 

1790–1803

Knox, Northwest Territory

     
County Seats:
 

1826–1827

Courts held at the home of James Butler and Asa Elliott (temporary designation).

 

1827–

Danville

     
History of county governing board:
 

1826–1849

County Commissioners’ Court

 

1849–1851

County Court—Began to function on December 17, 1849.

 

1851–

County Board of Supervisors—First meeting was held on June 13, 1851.

     
Documented Record Losses
 

1872—Fire

Some records probably lost or damaged.

     
Township Government
 

Adopted:

November 5, 1850

     
Township Names:
 

Blount

Formed as Fremont from Newell and Pilot on September 8, 1856; name changed from Fremont to Blount on September 14, 1857.

 

Butler

Formed from Middle Fork on June 13, 1864.

 

Carroll

 
 

Catlin

Formed from Danville and Union in March 9, 1858.

 

Danville

 
 

Elwood

 
 

Georgetown

 
 

Grant

Formed as Lyon on September 10, 1861; name changed from Lyon to Grant on April 1, 1862.

 

Jamaica

Formed from Catlin, Sidell and Vance in 1890.

 

Love

Formed from Elwood in June, 1902.

 

McKendree

Formed from Georgetown between 1910 and 1920.

 

Middle Fork

 
 

Newell

Name changed from Richland on June 13, 1851.

 

Oakwood

Formed from Vance, Pilot and Catlin on March 10, 1868.

 

Pilot

 
 

Ross

Name changed from North Fork on June 13, 1851.

 

Sidell

Formed from Carroll on December 11, 1866.

 

South Ross

Formed from Ross on June 13, 1927.

 

Vance

Name changed from Union on June 13, 1851

 

Notes:

 

A township named Trickels Grove was authorized in 1851, but when the electorate failed to organize, it was attached to Middle Fork.

   
 

The township of Prairie City was formed from Middle Fork on February 6, 1856; the name was changed to Patton on September 14, 1857; it is now part of Ford County. Other townships created from Patton include Drummers Grove (created in September, 1858) and Stockton (created on March 15, 1859). They are also part of Ford County, which was created on February 17, 1859.

 

Township Map

Click on thumbnail to view a map of Vermilion County and its civil and congressional townships.
 
Databases Pertinent to Vermilion County

Back to Illinois State University Region Map page

 

IRAD Home Page | IRAD Region Map
 
IRAD Research Policy  | Depository Addresses |
Local Governmental Records Database
| Administrative Histories |
Record Descriptions | Links to Other Sites

 

Contact Us:

 

Illinois Regional Archives Depository
Illinois State Archives
Springfield, IL 62756
 

Research requests should be sent to the IRAD depository holding the records you wish to have searched. Click here for a list of depository addresses and telephone numbers.