New Members: 71
Participation Points: 9009.65

Author
guitapick
Forum Full Member

GB4 to iTunes Confusion
Saturday, May 10 2008 @ 10:09 AM CDT

Hi,

I've got this cello and guitar tune ("Time's Passing") which I want to balance with the rest of my tunes, volume wise, so I can set up a playlist for my cd.

It's an old analog recording, converted to digital.

Thing is, no matter how low I put the volume line on the GB4 to get it to a compatible volume with the rest of the tunes, it still comes out the same, too loud volume on iTunes. This doesn't happen with any of the other tunes I've recorded myself.

Any clues, ye sages of GB lore?

Much as I truly love the tune, I'm not quite sure that it fits with the rest of 'em on this particular playlist. Maybe it's trying to tell me I'm right? Or maybe it's angry and screaming at me to put 'er in thar...won't know for sure 'till I can hear it coming in and fading out smoothly from one tune 'till the next.

Thanks for your time...

Bob

I live between the notes
damiengh
Forum Full Member

Re:GB4 to iTunes Confusion
Saturday, May 10 2008 @ 10:41 AM CDT

Could the solution be in this thread:
http://www.macjams.com/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=1;showtopic=37188

see Schletty's post ( Having the Sound Enhancer on in iTunes gives you a FALSE LISTEN to a GB or LE tune you've created. A similar thread had to do with loudness....and the recommendation was to turn off Sound Check in iTunes prefs when checking your own creation. )

or is this a pre-ITunes problem?

I know who I am and you know who you are, but who and the hell do they think they are?
JJET
Forum Regular Poster

Saturday, May 10 2008 @ 12:01 PM CDT

Hi Quick post here..Lose the notion of itunes and GB..itunes was never designed for anything more than a storefront for Apple..Look elsewere..You are on the road of futility..JjET
Jim Bouchard
Forum Full Member

Saturday, May 10 2008 @ 02:01 PM CDT

Quote by: guitapick

Thing is, no matter how low I put the volume line on the GB4 to get it to a compatible volume with the rest of the tunes, it still comes out the same, too loud volume on iTunes. This doesn't happen with any of the other tunes I've recorded myself.

I'm not sure what you are doing. Are you using GB4 to master the recordings? Are you dragging aiffs of all the tunes you are trying to master for your CD into one Garageband project to set up a playlist? It's perfectly legitimate to do that, for then you can compare the songs easily to one another in one window, so maybe that's what you're doing. And when you do that, it is after you send the songs back to itunes that you notice the volume differences between old and new recordings? I guess a little more info on what you are actually doing might be helpful in solving your problem. If the analog recording was professionally mastered, it could be that balancing how it sounds when compared to GB recordings is going to be tricky.

ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny!
guitapick
Forum Full Member

Saturday, May 10 2008 @ 02:54 PM CDT

Quote by: Jim Bouchard

I'm not sure what you are doing. Are you using GB4 to master the recordings? Are you dragging aiffs of all the tunes you are trying to master for your CD into one Garageband project to set up a playlist? It's perfectly legitimate to do that, for then you can compare the songs easily to one another in one window, so maybe that's what you're doing. And when you do that, it is after you send the songs back to itunes that you notice the volume differences between old and new recordings? I guess a little more info on what you are actually doing might be helpful in solving your problem. If the analog recording was professionally mastered, it could be that balancing how it sounds when compared to GB recordings is going to be tricky.

Thanks, everyone, for the input.

Jim:

I'm setting up tracks on GB4, sending them to iTunes, dragging that AIFF to the desktop and then dropping that onto a new GB4 project, which becomes my master. Then I send that master to iTunes, where I put it, and my other tunes, onto a playlist and listen to it.

I'll give your technique a shot. Have I been screwing up with the tracks to iTunes to master setup?

Thanks, again.

Oh...and "yes", the cello tune was recorded in the early 80s in a nice studio with a TEAC reel to reel, I believe.

I live between the notes
Jim Bouchard
Forum Full Member

Saturday, May 10 2008 @ 06:33 PM CDT

I'm setting up tracks on GB4, sending them to iTunes, dragging that AIFF to the desktop and then dropping that onto a new GB4 project, which becomes my master. Then I send that master to iTunes, where I put it, and my other tunes, onto a playlist and listen to it.

Having all the songs in one GB project will give you an easier way to look at how they stack up one against the other. Name your GB project for the proposed CD title. You can either put the songs in separate tracks or on one long track. When you want to send the separate songs to iTunes use your cycle region and it will send just the song you want. All the songs will have the project name in iTunes and you can rename them when you get them into iTunes. If they still don't sound right, it may be because there is a natural compression that analog tape imparts that will sound very natural and very maximized, and that may be causing the difference in the sonic character of the recordings. You may want to add some extra warm compression on the GB recordings. It will probably take a lot of trial and error and I hope you have good monitors and a good room since it all comes down to the mastering. Good luck!
If you happen to get Logic 8, you can do the same thing in Logic and there is a cool mastering template made just for this, and Logic's mastering plugins are way better than anything you'd get out of GB. Or you can buy some Wave Arts plugins or Metric Halo's ChannelstripGB.

ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny!
guitapick
Forum Full Member

Saturday, May 10 2008 @ 09:12 PM CDT

Thanks, again, Jim...you've been a great help, as always.

Actually, I'm mainly interested in figuring out the order of the tunes and to get an idea about whether to include the cello piece or not. My confusion here was why I couldn't get the volume down on it so I could hear it alongside the other tunes and listen, eyes closed, to a "seamless" transition. I'll try your suggestion...

Much as I love the piece, I'm kind of leaning towards keeping it and the another one, recorded at the same time, for a separate cd. We'll see.

The mastering will be done by a friend of a very good friend of mine. He's top notch and, though not exactly cheap, is giving me a good deal. I'm sure I could get a decent product on my own with some work and experimentation...but I know I can get a very professional result from Scott.

Thanks, again...

I live between the notes
JJET
Forum Regular Poster

Saturday, May 10 2008 @ 09:53 PM CDT

Hi..If you are getting it mastered that is totally different..Save each song to disc at 24bit and hand it off..That is what mastering is all about..Your friend will do the order of tracks EQ and levels as needed..Use the thing that is what you are paying for..The best thing to do for an artist that does their own recordings are to focus totally on the production..NOT the mastering...They are indeed 2 intense worlds that don't need to be avaiable to you..Concentrate on just the one..Actually the one that IS most important is the production and mix..Without that,,you will end up with not much at all...JjET
guitapick
Forum Full Member

Sunday, May 11 2008 @ 12:09 AM CDT

Quote by: JJET
Hi..If you are getting it mastered that is totally different..Save each song to disc at 24bit and hand it off..That is what mastering is all about..Your friend will do the order of tracks EQ and levels as needed..Use the thing that is what you are paying for..The best thing to do for an artist that does their own recordings are to focus totally on the production..NOT the mastering...They are indeed 2 intense worlds that don't need to be avaiable to you..Concentrate on just the one..Actually the one that IS most important is the production and mix..Without that,,you will end up with not much at all...JjET

Thanks, Jet...that's what I'm doing. Lotta work, too. Mastering would set me over the edge, I do believe. I'm just trying to find an order of tunes that'll flow just right and making the decision whether to include the cello piece. Spoke with a very smart fellow about that today, as a matter of fact. Gotta keep the flow...

Thanks again, hombres...

I live between the notes

Search This Forum: