Wadáru is the term used by the Bororo to
designate their original tongue. Linguists Rivet (1924)
and Schmidt (1926) classified it as isolated and possibly
linked to the Otuké branch. Later a new paradigm
simplified the classification of Indian languages, grouping
them together according to certain similarities, and
the bororo language was placed in the Macro-Jê
linguistic branch (Manson,1950; Greenberg,1957).
Today the bororo language is spoken by almost
the entire Bororo population. But until the end of the
1970s, The Salesian Indigenous Mission subjected children
and teenagers to a school system that prohibited the
use of the native tongue to be spoken in the villages
of Meruri and Sangradouro. A process of re-evaluation
and auto-criticism by the Salesian missionaries ended
up with the rescue of the original language and in bilingual
education. Thus nowadays in all Bororo villages the
majority of the population speaks Portuguese and Bororo.
In daily life, the language used is Bororo, with neologisms
assimilated from regional Portuguese, which is used
only in inter-ethnic contacts.