superfuture :: supertalk  

PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 best hip-hop producers and WHY

skecr8r
04-16-2005, 06:58 PM
Mine:

1. Pete Rock (without doubt, like double compared to #2) - the best guy, just dig his beats.. they are a perfect blend of everything.
2. Dj Premier - Never lost quality, always banging tight sample composition, only reason he's #2 is that I prefer the instrumental sound and the crisp snare/bassy kick style rock has.
3. Marley Marl - He practically reinvented the genre back in the good, ol' days.
4. Dr. Dre - fantastic beats for such a long time, never lost it.. managed even to stay cool as an commercial artist.
5. All the D.I.T.C. producers, ShowBiz prolly.
Denim Fanatismé.
http://www.rakuten.co.jp/kitarou/img1059114603.jpeg

Bing Bing
04-16-2005, 07:20 PM
Mine

Dr Dre: Timeless, classic hits. I still get chills everytime I hear Nuthin But A G Thang
Timbaland: Great creativity and complicated beats
RZA: Wu-Tang + Kill Bill = the shits!!
K. West: You'll know after you hear Common's Be
Neptunes: B/c they can actually play instruments and aren't afraid to try new things

skecr8r
04-16-2005, 07:42 PM
Actually, quite cool having those two lists after eachother as they both represent very different styles in the hiphop industry. Nice BB - keep them coming, y'all.
Denim Fanatismé.

showbiz00ditc
04-17-2005, 04:51 AM
whens common's new shyt dropping? ne one knows what its gona be called?

kremedla
04-17-2005, 05:20 PM
went and shot common last night at the jazz cafe for blues and soul magazine and his show was amazing. this year have had the op to shoot the roots, talib, pharoah,wu ( uk reunion), snoop, nas, de la, bep, ludacris, mos, jilly from philly among some heavy soul artists like raphael saadiq, van hunt, and floetry but seriously common's show was the heaviest, and he is not even my fav. artist. that being said here is my list- no particular order

pete rock- history son, mad history.
kanyayo- the new generation, 'he's a soulful dude'
j.dilla- detroit rep. fully!
prince paul- creative beyond, responsible for skits (now overused)
dj premier- dripping pure hip hop, unmistakeable beats.

hon. mention- dre, can't mess with the west when dre doin it.
lil jon- distinctive as fuk.
ok, pharrell (does hugo actually do anything?) - some seriously catchy songs for east and west coast artists which is cool cause he adapts his sound.
madlib- this guy falls into the prince paul category, so much creativity with so many personas.

ok, i am done or else could be here all day.
good thread.

kremedla
04-17-2005, 05:21 PM
ooops, and common's album is called 'be' and will drop in the uk on may 24.

forgot the rza, dark and sinister and responsible for all wu's catalogue and so many solo projects. ok really i am done.

Bing Bing
04-17-2005, 09:06 PM
It's supposed to drop May 24 in the US, also.

ABELnyc
04-18-2005, 05:00 AM
not sure if this changes anyone's opinion of Pete Rock, but T.R.O.Y. was ghost-produced by Large Professor. (Pete is still pretty ill tho)

SD50's (Stimulated Dummies)
Prince Paul
Beatnuts
Dre
El-P/RZA (equally skilled in my opinion, but couldn't rightly leave either one off this list)

~multiflavored RodLavers~
http://abelnyc.com
Edited by ABELnyc on Apr 17, 2005 at 10:03 PM

poobrowne
04-18-2005, 05:58 AM
good little story about pete rock:

http://www.byroncrawford.com/2005/03/pete_rock_not_a.html

04-18-2005, 02:00 PM
premo - ALWAYS on point! always the first to introduce dj cuts into a track: "who's gonna take the weight", "code of the streets" and "question remainz" are perfect examples. check fat joe - "shit is real" remix, nuff said!

extra p - main source breakin atoms, fakin the funk! and the man can rhyme too!

pete rock - i give props to producers who can cut in addition to manning the boards. pete rock is no exception. "the creator"!!

beatminerz - dirty dirty beats from the early-mid 90s!! spawned the birth of "wet mouths" and all newjack producers. "killin every n***a in sight" beat is my fave.

diamond d/showbiz - basically the entire DITC camp. diamond for stunts blunts, remix of punks jump up. showbiz for runaway slave and for being that next shit around that time.

neptunes - undeniable pop beat bangers.

sr20det
04-18-2005, 02:12 PM
dammit, my post timed out... anyhow, here's my list...

1. premo - first to introduce dj style cuts/tricks into tracks: "who's gonna take the weight, code of the streets, and ? remainz" are perfect examples. fat joe - "shit is real" remix!!

2. extra p - man can rhyme in addition to produce. breakin atoms, numerous collabos, and fakin the funk!

3. pete rock - always props to those who can cut as well as man the boards. main ingredient is one of my all time faves.

4. beatminerz - introduced the "wet mouth" in the 90s. dark & dirty beats! "killin every n***a in sight" is so dope.

5. DITC/showbiz - that whole DITC camp, finesse, diamond, showbiz. he was on top during the early 90s with runaway slave. diamond's remix of punks jump up.

6. neptunes - pop bangers
All of the wick wack that wanna be abstract
But they lack the new knack that's comin from way way back

pasey pase
04-18-2005, 03:25 PM
T.R.O.Y. was not Ghost produced by Large Pro, Large Pro gave PR the Tom Scott Record and pointed out the sample. Pete Rock made the beat by himself. don't think that counts as ghost producing...

RedFoxxworth
04-18-2005, 05:10 PM
My list for right now, not necessarily of all time:

1. Rick Rubin- Cause he produced Slayer.
2. DJ Paul and Juicy J- Cause 1000 Three 6 Mafia songs can't be wrong.
3. Mannie Fresh- Ha, Bling Bling, Get Your Roll On, #1 Stunner, not to mention he was producing booty/electro in the 80's.
4. Lil Jon- If he shut his mouth, his beats are siiiiiiiick.
5. Neptunes- Always liked them, can't front.
"He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of his name. This calls for wisdom. If anyone has insight, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man's number. His number is 666" (Rev. 13:16-18).

ABELnyc
04-18-2005, 05:50 PM
Quote:

T.R.O.Y. was not Ghost produced by Large Pro, Large Pro gave PR the Tom Scott Record and pointed out the sample. Pete Rock made the beat by himself. don't think that counts as ghost producing...
--- Original message by pasey pase on Apr 18, 2005 08:25 AMdon't want to start fucked up rumors over an undeniably classic song, but i was told Large pro gave him the record with the sax looped, already chopped with drums. All Pete did was throw in the 'yeah's and the 'just listen' and the 'for the nineties' shit.
The scenario you're talking about (just giving him the song and pointing out samples) is Large Pro puttin Black Sheep onto it...they would eventually use the same song (Today) for Similak Child.

who knows and since it's my fav. song of all time (tied with Know the Ledge), i don't really care who did it. both extra p and peterock are mad skilled producers. but when i listen to both of their catalogues, it seems to me more of a Large pro beat...but maybe you're right after all.

BKNY
04-18-2005, 07:03 PM
DITC (Illest crew ever)
PREMO (History)
JAY DEE (Slum village, mad lib ect ect)
MC SEARCH ( for putting Nas on , Executive Producer of ILLMATIC)
RICK RUBIN

Why should be obvious on these choices..... Hands down this is Hip hop
Life...I wonder...will it take me under?

sr20det
04-18-2005, 07:15 PM
^ it's all about nas's verse on mc serch- "back to the grill again"!!

BKNY
04-18-2005, 07:20 PM
I hear ya...anything Nas did in those days was incredible. In his prime I think he was untouchable
Life...I wonder...will it take me under?

skecr8r
04-18-2005, 07:27 PM
He was 'the best' rapper back then without doubt I think.. I mean, I'm not even that much into most of his music (too wiseguy without being attitude for my taste) but objectively illmatic might very much be the best thing that ever dropped.

But that is for another thread. Back to making lists, peeplz.
Denim Fanatismé.

tvd157
04-18-2005, 07:49 PM
As of late Madlib is puting out genius work...
as of the past 15 years...
Definitely Primo, Beatminerz, RZA....Dan the Automator...Large Professor......that is hip-hop of course. Always sick beats. Lots of research and education to find the Perfect Beat. They have def done their homework.
Bitch be cool...tell the mother f#ckin' bitch ta chill

MONIKER
04-18-2005, 08:03 PM
cleanliness
Edited by MONIKER on Jul 12, 2005 at 01:42 PM

JUPAFETT
04-18-2005, 09:36 PM
GOT MORE THAN FIVE

PRIMO - HE'S THE ONE
JUST BLAZE - BANGERS
RICH HARRISON - FEMALE BANGERS
'TUNES - CHANGED THE GAME
KANYE - PEEP HIS TATS
SWIZZ - I'MA HUSTLA, NIGGA ASK ABOUT ME
TIMBO - VS. JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE SOOOO HOTTTT, NO FOR REAL
LIL JON - OKAY!
BOMB SQUAD - BRING THAT BEAT BACK, BRING THAT BEAT BACK!
ALCHEMIST - WIERD SCIENCE
SCOTT STORCH - DID ALL THE KEYS FOR THE CHRONIC, NOT DRE.
SHIT IS WACK

flux
04-18-2005, 11:06 PM
like stated above, madlib(the beat maker) as of now but all of the classic producers have been mentioned already.
flux x spek !

kai
04-18-2005, 11:09 PM
Too many too many

ALCHEMIST-knuckles draggin down the street grimey
Dre-straight westcoastin'
Premier-no explanation needed
Hank Shocklee and the Bomb Squad-headbangin bumrush bring the noise type shit
Timbo & Neptunes-gonna make ya dance
Rick Rubin-bring me home
Evidence-back to the lab
DITC-gotcha head noddin
"Life's like a gamble we scramble for money, might crack a smile but ain't a damn thing funny."images/icon_smile_clown.gif

sr20det
04-19-2005, 01:26 AM
lemme add RZA to the mix too.

Dave Russ
04-19-2005, 04:51 AM
1. DJ Premier
2. RJD2
3. Pete Rock
4. Diamond D
5. Madlib
Honorable Mention: Prince Paul, Ninth Wonder, MF Doom

I compiled this list without reading any of the other posts b/c I didn't want to be influenced...I'm sure I've left out a few....left out Dr. Dre b/c the guy already has mad respect and I'd rather highlight those equally as deserving..
“Isn’t it strange how it’s a fad to bite your idols when the whole reason you liked them is because their shit wasn’t recycled?” - Aesop Rock

MyMindSpray
04-19-2005, 08:06 PM
many have been mentioned...but i thought i get my two cents in...

premo
peterock
sd50s
madlib
tie between early largeprofessor and evil dee/beatminerz...

kremedla
04-19-2005, 08:27 PM
9th wonder- truly. love the fact that little bro/foreign connection give props to the golden age of hip hop.

04-19-2005, 09:22 PM
Little Brother is so slept on it's ridiculous...their first album, The Listening, reminded me of Pete Rock and CL's first LP...just classic hip hop at its roots

The production on the Foreign Exchange LP is primarily handled by Nicolay. He's some dutch dude that caught the ear of Phonte, Nic sent them a track over the web, and they put it on their first LP without even actually meeting...the power of the internet

Bing Bing
04-21-2005, 08:05 AM
Anyone interested, here's a link to Kanye's first single off 'Late Registration' Song's called 'Diamonds Are Forever' I can't stop listening to it!!! Really unique. The James Bond sample killed it.

http://s3.youshareit.com/files/db224561419a9fed2cdcce857ab7259e.html

boystory
04-23-2005, 06:20 AM
timbaland
dj premier
dr. dre
dan the automator
prince paul
rza
50 percent of what the neptunes have done
rjd2
dj shadow

sooperfresh
04-23-2005, 01:53 PM
dr.dre a real n!**a with an attitude.
primo. is primo.
jay-dillionare got everyone paid.
madlib is otis jackson, quasimoto, jaylib, madvilainy, lootpack, ynqt, oxnard etc.....
pete rock, biz marke, q tip, bambata, gza, 9th, large pro, shadow, dan nakamura, diamond d, aphex, buckshot, el producto, fat jack, jazzy jeff, mumbles, prince paul, metal fingers, dre and boi, and lastly but not the least rick ruben.
next 5
exile, ricci rucker, gb, ohno, j rocc, me?

next thread.
sampler/sequncer/composer of choice?
a. mpc
b. sp12
c. boss sp
d. yamaha su
e. mac/pc

pasey pase
05-03-2005, 12:00 AM
Quote:

Quote:

--- Original message by pasey pase on Apr 18, 2005 08:25 AMdon't want to start fucked up rumors over an undeniably classic song, but i was told Large pro gave him the record with the sax looped, already chopped with drums. All Pete did was throw in the 'yeah's and the 'just listen' and the 'for the nineties' shit.
The scenario you're talking about (just giving him the song and pointing out samples) is Large Pro puttin Black Sheep onto it...they would eventually use the same song (Today) for Similak Child.

who knows and since it's my fav. song of all time (tied with Know the Ledge), i don't really care who did it. both extra p and peterock are mad skilled producers. but when i listen to both of their catalogues, it seems to me more of a Large pro beat...but maybe you're right after all.

--- Original message by ABELnyc on Apr 18, 2005 10:50 AMjust peeping this..my bad. I think I read the TROY story in wax poetics interview with PR. as far as their catalogs go, I see what you're sayin. "just hangin out" sounds like a pete rock beat too. got the horns from the stalag riddim that pete used on maaaad songs. who knows if either of us are right, but I think my version is from the horses mouth if my memory serves me correctly.

ABELnyc
05-03-2005, 03:35 PM
let's go with your version then...

after all, anybody Dante Carfagna works for gets top cred in my book. and that's word to Big Bird.
ALPHA/BRAVO/ECHO/LIMA

d
05-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Jay Dee
Premier
Just Blaze
Rza
Alchemist

My Pal the Crook
05-04-2005, 03:01 PM
1. Primo
2. Large Pro
3. Pete Rock
4. Rza
5. Ski

Alion
08-04-2005, 05:53 PM
1. Rza
2. Primo
3. Kanye/Blaze
4. Dre
5. Me

westkoastanostra
08-04-2005, 06:12 PM
battlecat all the way

ABELnyc
08-05-2005, 07:30 AM
ok i already gave in my 5 but King Honey is ridiculous. RJD2 of course (Prefuse sucks a big fat cock get off RJ's/Dabrye's collective dills please.) and Diplo is dope to a fault, i actually am beginning to hate him and envy his life. get your hands on the Diplo vs. Shadow megamix, you will not regret doing so.

Express Rising/anything Dante Carfagna related flexes with so much heart and soul. Shit is just fucking real. Memphix on top.

No I.D. the unsung hero, the slept on mentor to young Kanyeezy. and pssst---he's better!

Scott Storch: my rant would go on too long with this one so Google if you don't know.

Alchemist: cannot front on this nigga's grimy shitstain salad and gravyfries. finally getting his due. Regal propers for pioneering the next hardcore movement.
ALPHA/BRAVO/ECHO/LIMA

pressproduction
08-05-2005, 07:40 AM
-WU TANG AIN'T NOTTING TO FUCK WITH....
-PETESTRUMENTAL
-KRUSH
-KRAM
-ALL THE CATS GOT SIGN ON TO BLUENOTE

AND THE LIST GOSE ON AND ON....

Berget__
08-06-2005, 02:12 PM
- Dj Embee. Listen to: Looptroop - The struggle continues
- Rusty James. Listen to: Mics Of Fury - Backtrack
- Alchemist. Listen to: Dilated Peoples - Worst comes to worst
- Mannie Fresh. Listen to: Big Tymers - Still fly
- Breakmecanix Listen to: Any song by Timbuktu
I aint gotta get money man money get me

d
08-06-2005, 02:24 PM
Quote:

- Dj Embee. Listen to: Looptroop - The struggle continues
- Rusty James. Listen to: Mics Of Fury - Backtrack
- Alchemist. Listen to: Dilated Peoples - Worst comes to worst
- Mannie Fresh. Listen to: Big Tymers - Still fly
- Breakmecanix Listen to: Any song by Timbuktu

--- Original message by Berget__ on Aug 6, 2005 07:12 AMQuote: - Alchemist. Listen to: Dilated Peoples - Worst comes to worst

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Alchemist fan. But worst comes to worst didn't really require much from al, its just a sped up loop for a somewhat well known track

Berget__
08-07-2005, 10:30 AM
I do agree with you. But i really like the beat. I dont think that the most technically skilled beats are the best everytime...i just like what i like.

6MT
08-07-2005, 05:04 PM
thats true, i dont like kanye, but some of his beat is cool like the new common album

dr_fresh
08-17-2005, 06:21 PM
DJ Premier
Pete Rock
DJ Quik (no mentions yet)
Dr. Dre
DITC

up and coming:

Hi-tek
9th wonder
Kanye

Jack Paar
08-17-2005, 06:58 PM
5000 watts
Ant Banks
Neptunes
Just Blaze
Young Guru

Tarmac
08-18-2005, 10:35 PM
Dr. Dre - I think his 90-92 stuff was more complex than now, but he is still king. He probably has 100 unused beats on his computer that could be top 10 pop hits, right now.

DJ Premier - he still has the touch. No one has such a distinct, funky and crisp sound.

Organized Noize/outkast/goodiemob/ceelo - these foos make some incredible melodies, sounds, and hooks, most all non-sampled or stolen. Remember when BOB came out? People were stunned...

Swishahouse -yeah

Whoever it was that hooked up the Amerie One Thing beat. Thats just sick...

Diplo

jonovision
08-19-2005, 07:04 AM
Kanye West
Neptunes
Dr. Dre
Just Blaze
Diplo
steam that 4 life !

Berget__
08-19-2005, 11:22 AM
Quote:

Dr. Dre - I think his 90-92 stuff was more complex than now, but he is still king. He probably has 100 unused beats on his computer that could be top 10 pop hits, right now.

DJ Premier - he still has the touch. No one has such a distinct, funky and crisp sound.

Organized Noize/outkast/goodiemob/ceelo - these foos make some incredible melodies, sounds, and hooks, most all non-sampled or stolen. Remember when BOB came out? People were stunned...

Swishahouse -yeah

Whoever it was that hooked up the Amerie One Thing beat. Thats just sick...

Diplo
--- Original message by Tarmac on Aug 18, 2005 03:35 PMdamn...why didnt I think of Organized Noize images/icon_smile_wink.gif

taskforce
09-08-2005, 01:52 AM
1. Primo. So consistent when it comes to ill beats.
2. Pete Rock. wins by default.
3. RZA. The first time i heard 36 chambers and cuban linx i was drooling.
4. 9th Wonder. Ef Kanye. 9th is the future.
5. Just Blaze. After hearing Breathe he has to get a spot.

Honorable Mention: madlib, prince paul, *cough* Kanye *cough*, Dre, Large pro, hi-tek.

cheapmuthafukr
10-17-2005, 06:57 PM
in no order...

premo
pete rock
madlib
tribe(first three albums)
kanye

DEPHT
10-28-2005, 06:32 AM
Prince Paul

9th Wonder

Stoupe

RZA

Danger Mouse
Depht...

docdoom
11-24-2005, 10:23 PM
Quote:

ok i already gave in my 5 but King Honey is ridiculous. RJD2 of course (Prefuse sucks a big fat cock get off RJ's/Dabrye's collective dills please.) and Diplo is dope to a fault, i actually am beginning to hate him and envy his life. get your hands on the Diplo vs. Shadow megamix, you will not regret doing so.

Express Rising/anything Dante Carfagna related flexes with so much heart and soul. Shit is just fucking real. Memphix on top.

No I.D. the unsung hero, the slept on mentor to young Kanyeezy. and pssst---he's better!

Scott Storch: my rant would go on too long with this one so Google if you don't know.

Alchemist: cannot front on this nigga's grimy shitstain salad and gravyfries. finally getting his due. Regal propers for pioneering the next hardcore movement.

--- Original message by ABELnyc on Aug 5, 2005 12:30 AMTotally agree bout No ID being underated, to produce resurection but also metal lugies on pretty toney album, which is so hard and wu-ish shows some skills.

mf doom - nobody mentioned him yet. Made some brilliant beats basically and that fact he is also an amazing lyricist in my opinion only adds to it. Op Doomsday has that raw sound like 36chambers that frows and grows on you.

Prince paul. first three de la albums, 6 feet deep and then later quirky stiff like pschoanalysis what is it and prince among thieves. Nuff said.

Cant really name the other three! I guess 36chambers and liquid swords alone are enough to qualift rza though he seems obvious choice...and gravediggaz too.

DEPHT
11-25-2005, 01:39 AM
Agree. Especially with prince paul. Don't forget his Handsome boy modeling school and gravediggaz stuff.

Gravediggaz era = prince paul and rza at thier best
Depht...

docdoom
11-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Quote:

Agree. Especially with prince paul. Don't forget his Handsome boy modeling school and gravediggaz stuff.

Gravediggaz era = prince paul and rza at thier best

--- Original message by DEPHT on Nov 24, 2005 07:39 PMGravediggaz era = prince paul and rza at thier best
yep, well 6feet deep was.

KEERST
11-25-2005, 06:58 PM
premier...the rep grows bigga!!
automator
dre
prince paul
kanye (can't stand him but the beats are ill...)
rza
shadow
i went over 5...