have been.
XEN CONTROLLERS:

Quote:
The Xen Controllers were part of the Nihilanth's support network, and
they relied on the Nihilanth to throw them around where it wanted them
to go, so if there are any left, they are probably stranded in what
would not have been their natural native environment (nothing's native
to Xen). However, without access to a steady food supply (whatever it
is they eat), they may well have simply died out.
RACE-X:

Quote:
Thanks for writing. Explanations outside the context of the game are
not really something we want to get into. Most of the things that are
hazy are that way simply because the right time and place has not come
about for clarifying these things in the context of the games. So, I
try not to say anything that would spoil revelations and backstory that
we may want to use in the future or are currently developing. The
relation between the Nihilanth race and the Combine is one of those
things. As for Race-X being from Xen, I'm not sure any of the aliens
we've seen were actually from Xen originally. Xen is a borderworld--a
place you have to go through to get to other places. It was colonized
by certain creatures that could adapt to it. The Race-X creatures
didn't seem particularly well adapted to Xen. I imagine their home lay
somewhere beyond.
PORTAL STORMS, HEADCRABS:

Quote:
Those things came through during the portal storms, which continue erratically to this very day. Some of the critters came early (immediately after the Black Mesa Incident) and adapted to Earth. I think the poison headcrabs must have eaten something poisonous at one point, and liked it so much they added it to their repertoire.

The bullsquids are around here somewhere.
ELI'S LEG:

Quote:
Like many things in the HL universe, we like to reserve these things until we can make some use of them. There's no point in carving a story idea in granite, only to get there and learn that it leads to bad, boring gameplay.

I hope mod makers don't spend too much time worrying about whether they're in conflict with Half-Life. If they get something "wrong", we won't change what we decide to do because of it. They can, if they want, show Eli losing his leg to a bullsquid while helping Kleiner get to safety in Black Mesa; but if I have an opportunity to later show Eli losing his leg while helping Kleiner get into City 17, I'll go ahead and do that. I'm not out to spoil the fans' fun!

Perhaps there are many many parallel universes, in each of which Eli loses his leg in an entirely different way.

ELI'S LEG:

Quote:
He lost it to a bullsquid while helping Kleiner get to safety, but I'm not sure if that was in Black Mesa or later.
METROCOPS:

Quote:
CP/Metrocops are humans at the first level--basically unaltered volunteers. From here, if you are hardcore, you must volunteer for modification in order to become a soldier, so advancing in rank requires surrendering even more humanity.

This stuff was certainly thought through in advance; sometimes we just make things up though.
XEN AND BEYOND:

Quote:
(LOMBARDI) We had a glimpse of the larger threat when we were working on Half Life 1. In other words we knew that once you cleared out the Nihilanth, you were going to discover something worse beyond it. We knew that some immense threat had chased the Nihilanth and its creatures out of their own world and into Xen, from which location they were all to glad to seize the opportunity to continue on to Earth with suppression through the citadels. But the exact nature of the threat was left to be solved in Half Life 2
XEN/COMBINE RELATION:

Quote:
Yes, that's fairly accurate, and I'm pretty sure Doug was restating something I'd told him; I [am not] clarifying it, since it's the foundation on which the series continues. What we saw in HL1 was the very end of a long struggle between the Combine and the last of the Nihilanth's race...although it's a bit different than the word "prompted" implies. The Nihilanth's "world" (if it could be said to have) was long since in the past as far as the Nihilanth was concerned; Xen was their final retreat, and they had their back to the wall, as it were, when the fissure appeared that let them spill into our dimension. Xen itself is sort of a dimensional transit bottleneck--an area of continual contention.
EPISODE 2 CHARACTER:

Quote:
We try not to answer questions about the story directly outside of the game--believe what you play, not what you read, is my motto. The waters are murky, unfortunately, when it comes to the Gearbox titles because we did not make them and I don't feel compelled to abide by every story idea they came up with to make their game more fun. That said, it's now public knowledge that you'll be meeting at least one further survivor of Black Mesa in Episode 2. Hope you enjoy it.
BARNEY + BLUE SHIFT + EXPANSION INVOLVEMENT:

Quote:
Hi, Daniel, I won't be able to clear up much. It was a deliberate decision to have Gearbox never call him Barney in Blue Shift, only Calhoun. Raising the Bar is not a game, so material is presented differently there; manifestations differ in every medium. Gearbox took our Barney and did their own best version, but I'm not sure that Barney is the same Barney I'm picturing when I picture Valve's Barney. In the time BS was created, there were many Barneys. Only gradually have the redundant creature and character types slowly settled into iconic individuals...it's an ongoing process. Gearbox did what was right for their games. Even though they had feedback and guidance from us, they didn't always listen to it, and they steered by their own lights, etc., etc. I wasn't very close to the creation of the expansion packs, and much more concerned with how to move the story forward and open up the universe; so I only take the games created by Valve into consideration when I am working on the story...there are more than enough potential contradictions in our own designs without me worrying about contradictions in the inventions of other developers who were not part of our initial creative meetings. I know this is confusing to fans; it's partly a byproduct of the way expansion packs were created, the way they were packaged and published, and also I was very new to this whole concept at the time. It never occurred to me that large chunks of the story would be taken out of our hands, changes made beyond our control, and then have the stuff handed back with some odd unexpected kinks in it. So try not to worry about it, and simply do my best with material directly in my control. However, as to your last question, There was pressure on us to set Half-Life 2 at Black Mesa, which a lot of us felt would be creative death; it was important to break new ground. Nuking Black Mesa was a good way to ensure that we had a way to avoid setting Half-Life 2 there. You might say I gave the G-Man his orders. The whole issue of canon is something the fans came up with. I guess you will be able to identify as canon those story elements we continue to build on and develop and mention repeatedly as the story progresses. Others might fall by the wayside once they've served their purpose. Couldn't you say the same of us all?
Marc Laidlaw
RACE-X:

Quote:
RaceX was purely a Gearbox creation that doesn't figure at all in my thinking about the world. Understand, they wanted to come up with a set of creatures that would create gameplay they knew how to make. They could have been making an original title or an add-on for some other franchise, and plugged RaceX into that--the reason being that they had gameplay they wanted to explore and needed the freedom of their own race of critters to conduct those experiments with. If Gearbox had kept making HL games, I suppose we might have seen these threads develop. Since BlackOps are not a Gearbox creation per se, but an opportunistic use of existing real-life elements, I don't see how the idea of canon applies to them.
BLACK MESA + GORDON'S BIG DAY!:

Quote:
hm...I don't remember stating that the Black Mesa Incident occurred on Gordon's first day of work [note by the author: above applies to a quote by Rosenberg. Or was it Keller?/note_end] (Barney sure acts like he's known Gordon a while) although I might have. shrug.
TEST CHAMBER CRYSTAL

Quote:
That crystal sample in the opening, for instance, should have been clearly echoed in the Nihilanth’s chamber—and even down inside its gaping cranium. That was the plan. But we ran out of time to make the clear visual association.

Last edited by Samon; 07-02-2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old 14-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Fast Headcrab

Marc Laidlaw, when asked about where poison headcrabs, fast headcrabs and antlions appeared from and where bullsquids went:
Quote:
Those things came through during the portal storms, which continue erratically to this very day. Some of the critters came early (immediately after the Black Mesa Incident) and adapted to Earth. I think the poison headcrabs must have eaten something poisonous at one point, and liked it so much they added it to their repertoire.

The bullsquids are around here somewhere.
Marc Laidlaw, when asked if it will ever be decided at which point in time Eli lost his leg:
Quote:
Like many things in the HL universe, we like to reserve these things until we can make some use of them. There's no point in carving a story idea in granite, only to get there and learn that it leads to bad, boring gameplay.

I hope mod makers don't spend too much time worrying about whether they're in conflict with Half-Life. If they get something "wrong", we won't change what we decide to do because of it. They can, if they want, show Eli losing his leg to a bullsquid while helping Kleiner get to safety in Black Mesa; but if I have an opportunity to later show Eli losing his leg while helping Kleiner get into City 17, I'll go ahead and do that. I'm not out to spoil the fans' fun!

Perhaps there are many many parallel universes, in each of which Eli loses his leg in an entirely different way.
Marc Laidlaw, when asked about what happened to Eli's leg:
Quote:
He lost it to a bullsquid while helping Kleiner get to safety, but I'm not sure if that was in Black Mesa or later.
Marc Laidlaw, when asked about the classification of humans as part of the Combine and to what degree such story elements are thought through in advance:
Quote:
CP/Metrocops are humans at the first level--basically unaltered volunteers. From here, if you are hardcore, you must volunteer for modification in order to become a soldier, so advancing in rank requires surrendering even more humanity.

This stuff was certainly thought through in advance; sometimes we just make things up though.
Marc Laidlaw expanding upon the choice of primarily using mimesis ("Show, Don't Tell") as a narrative technique in Half-Life:
Quote:
We're getting a bit of flak for sticking to that golden rule, which is certainly not the norm in games, but I know we did the right thing. Trying to push the narrative technique as much as we push the technology! Hopefully it's like a good record, though...doesn't quite make sense the first time you hear it, then you discover that you can't get it out of your head, then you just have to play it again, and you start to notice things you didn't catch the first time, and after awhile you accept it for what it is.

Last edited by Samon; 07-02-2007 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Adding additional information
Old 14-10-2006, 05:08 PM
Headcrab

So bullsquids still exist on earth that means?
Old 14-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Halflife2.net Staff
Edditar Eddeter Edortor Editor

Yes, as do all the other Xen aliens - wasteland. Thanks Marco.
Old 14-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Headcrab

It was good that Marc confirmed about the xen controllers because there are still people asking questions about what happened to them. The alien grunts suffered the same fate probably.
Old 14-10-2006, 10:57 PM
Strider

Quote:
Quote:
In the September 2005 issue of PC Zone, Doug Lombardi stated in an interview that the Combine wern't in control of Xen during the course of HL1. He said that the Nihilanth's homeworld was invaded by the Combine, prompting the migration and takeover of Xen by [the Nihilanth]. Is this HL2 canon? And if so, are the Vortigaunts enslaved only the Earth Vortigaunts, or is the Combine in control of Xen at the contemporary date?
Quote:
Yes, that's fairly accurate, and I'm pretty sure Doug was restating something I'd told him; I [am not] clarifying it, since it's the foundation on which the series continues. What we saw in HL1 was the very end of a long struggle between the Combine and the last of the Nihilanth's race...although it's a bit different than the word "prompted" implies. The Nihilanth's "world" (if it could be said to have) was long since in the past as far as the Nihilanth was concerned; Xen was their final retreat, and they had their back to the wall, as it were, when the fissure appeared that let them spill into our dimension. Xen itself is sort of a dimensional transit bottleneck--an area of continual contention.
Quote:
We had a glimpse of the larger threat when we were working on Half Life 1. In other words we knew that once you cleared out the Nihilanth, you were going to discover something worse beyond it. We knew that some immense threat had chased the Nihilanth and its creatures out of their own world and into Xen, from which location they were all to glad to seize the opportunity to continue on to Earth with suppression through the citadels. But the exact nature of the threat was left to be solved in Half Life 2
Rim-Fire's Major Wiki Contributions
  • Antlion
  • Apeture Science
  • Barney Calhoun
  • Bullsquid
  • CptStern
  • Doctor Isaac Kleiner
  • Doctor Judith Mossman
  • Father Grigori
  • Gluon Gun
  • Halflife2.net, the Comic <--- MUST READ FOR ALL MEMEBERS
  • Hedy Lamarr
  • Houndeye
  • Jintor
  • Snark
  • Tau Cannon

For correct postcount add 198 and a few hundred more too.
Old 15-10-2006, 02:02 AM
Poison Zombie

Wow. Awesome thread.
Old 15-10-2006, 03:26 AM
iminthepink

Marc Laidlaw, when asked about the return of Adrian Shepard.

Quote:
We try not to answer questions about the story directly outside of the game--believe what you play, not what you read, is my motto. The waters are murky, unfortunately, when it comes to the Gearbox titles because we did not make them and I don't feel compelled to abide by every story idea they came up with to make their game more fun. That said, it's now public knowledge that you'll be meeting at least one further survivor of Black Mesa in Episode 2. Hope you enjoy it.
Old 15-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Manhack

One further survivor eh? Adrian Shepard Adian Shepard! Well from what has said I think we can pretty much bank on it. He is basically saying "I'm not compelled to include stuff from the Gearbox titles because we didn't make them BUT there will be another character who survived Black Mesa you will be meeting."
Old 15-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Manhack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broso View Post
One further survivor eh? Adrian Shepard Adian Shepard! Well from what has said I think we can pretty much bank on it. He is basically saying "I'm not compelled to include stuff from the Gearbox titles because we didn't make them BUT there will be another character who survived Black Mesa you will be meeting."

would be nice if it was shephard, might actually get to see his face

Perhaps shephard is the character that is going to be killed off perhaps
Old 15-10-2006, 12:57 PM
Headcrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broso View Post
I don’t think Samon is going to appreciate this …in his thread.
Old 15-10-2006, 01:00 PM
Ant Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Zero View Post
would be nice if it was shephard, might actually get to see his face=
That sir, is exactly the problem with what you want. How are you supposed to visually identify a character you have never seen before?

---
Thanks Aperture Science
Thaperture Science.
Old 15-10-2006, 01:01 PM
Halflife2.net Staff
Edditar Eddeter Edortor Editor

No more talk of Shepards return.
Old 16-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Ant Lion

If they showed him as more than the stereotypical gunslinger/asskicker, i'm all for Shephard's return. If he has any depth to his character, it would be nice - maybe a reminiscing alongside Freeman about Black Mesa. But if he's still wearing the mask, I'll defect to the Combine side...

That said, I would much rather meet Rosenberg. <3 Rosenberg
Old 16-10-2006, 08:09 PM
Ant Lion

Rosenburg FTW!