LISTED STRUCTURES

A number of structures in Wolverton have been listed (June and July 2001, the Reading Room in 2004). Prior to this there were very few listed buildings in Wolverton and no railway structures. This had caused intense concern about the fate of many structures (remember the Station and McCorquodale's?) Listings was the first heritage project raised when the Group was formed in 1997. These are all very fine examples of architecture and deserve their national recognition.

BLUE BRIDGE (Grade II)

This bridge once provided access to Stacey Hill Farm (now MK Museum). It is a Robert Stephenson structure, built about 1837 for the London & Birmingham Railway Company. It is now disused but can be seen from the footpath adjacent to Millers Way, by the railway bridge.

SKEW BRIDGE (Grade II)

This bridge crosses Old Wolverton Road by the Park and carried the original London & Birmingham railway. It is currently in use for railway sidings. A classic Robert Stephenson skew bridge, built 1837/8. To the south the bridge abuts the impressive rock-faced retaining wall which was part of Wolverton's first railway station.

CANAL BRIDGE 171c (Grade II*)

Another Stephenson bridge for the L&B; featuring ironwork by Butterly. One of very few surviving structures of this type, it carries Works sidings over the Grand Union Canal. It was the site of the "Battle of Wolverton" between L&B; employees and canal workers who did not welcome the coming of the Railway. This was settled in court in favour of the railway company. It can be viewed by descending the metal steps by the station bridge in Stratford Road and following the towpath for about 200 yards.

St GEORGE'S CHURCH (Grade II*)

The Church of St George the Martyr, in St George's Way, was previously grade II listed. This has now been upgraded to grade II*. It is an Anglican church of 1843 by H Wyatt and David Brandon in the early English style. It has 1895 and 1902 extensions by J Oldrid Scott. 20th century alterations include the large round West Window of 1954. It is claimed to be the first church ever built by a railway company.

MORTUARY CHAPEL at St GEORGE the MARTYR (Grade II)

Mid to late 19th century. One room plan, built of yellow brick in flemish bond. Brick elevations with continuous brick plinth. South elevation contains only opening, consisting of central stone arch with wood door. Roof is tile pitched. Sited on axis west of church. Likely housed bodies before burial and burial equipment.

HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, Old Wolverton (Grade II*)

This church was previously listed but has now been upgraded. Anglican parish church. 1809-1815, with medieval origins, by Henry Hakehill. Attleborough sandstone ashlar from Warwickshire, with some similar stonefrom Bilston, Staffordshire. Stone conveyed to site by canal. Welsh slate roofs to body of church with flat copper roof to tower. Interior includes re-used 17th century limestone paving. SW corner door leads to medieval stone spiral starcase. Stencilled wall decoration of 1870 (painted out in places) designed by Edward Swinfen Harris and carried out by Daniel Bell of the company Bell & Almond. Round stone pulpit also 1870 Bell & Almond. Font has tall oak font cover by E. Swinfen Harris. Stained glass East window 1888 by Nathaniel Westlake.

SPINNEY COTTAGE, Stratford Road (Grade II)

This cottage is early to mid 18th century. One storey plus attic range. Some alterations were carried out in 1887 by Edward Swinfen Harris. Coursed limestone rubble with plain-tile roof with ornamental tile ridges, brick ridge and rear lateral stacks. Features plank doors and floors with thick interior walls. Large dormer gable (with simply decorated barge boards) to right of centre with pair of two light casement windows set in red brick. Lintel beam, inscribed AD 1887, forms base of timber framed dormer gable with brick nogging. Top of gable is tile hung. There is a brick coal shed with tile roof in the garden. This was formerly Warren Farm Cottage. It was probably originally thatched until re-roofed and generally improved by Edward Swinfen Harris for landowners, The Radcliffe Trust.

THE ELMS, Green Lane (Grade II)

This was built by the LNWR Railway Company for Dr John Harvey, medical officer to the LNWR and Works surgeon. Designed by well known local architect Edward Swinfen Harris, a proponent of the Arts & Crafts style.

WYVERN FIRST SCHOOL, Aylesbury Street (Grade II)

Originally a combined elementary school for infants and girls, it was built in 1906 for the Bucks County Education Commitee. Architects Messrs Harrington Ley and Kerkham of Bishopsgate. General contractor E Archer of Northampton.

WYVERN NURSERY SCHOOL, Church Street (Grade II)

Originally built as an Elementary School for boys. Built in 1896 with some 20th century alterations. Red brick in flemish bond, hipped and gabled slate roofs with ornamental tiles ridges with terracotta finials to gables. Built by The London & North Western Railway Company with assistance from The Radcliffe Trust and "a few of the townspeople who subscribed to the voluntary rate". This is a testimony to a railway company's concern for families of its employees. Group value with Wyvern First School.

WYVERN FIRST SCHOOL technical building (Grade II)

Free standing structure for the instruction of technical activity in the grounds of Wyvern First School.. Early 20th century built of brick with slate hipped roof with raised rectangular lantern at apex. Listed for group value with Wyvern First School and as part of this early 20th century complex of educational buildings.

WYVERN FIRST SCHOOL classroom (Grade II)

Detached classroom, early 20th century. Brick with slate pitched roof. One room with narrow balcony to one end with semi-circular exterior window. Interior with exposed heavy roof trusses. Listed for group value with Wyvern First School and as part of this early 20th century complex of educational buildings.

THE OLD LIFTING SHOP (Grade II)

Designed by C A Park in 1889, it was built as part of the improvements to the Works. By the 1890's this was one of the most important integrated large scale manufacturing sites in the world. It later became a storehouse for the Royal Train after Beeching's reorganisation of the Works in 1963. It has been unused since 1991. It can be viewed from The Park (see the Park page for more pictures).

THE LOCOMOTIVE WORKSHOP (Grade II)

This is a very large triangular building between the original L&B; railway line and the canal. It was built in 1845 for the L&B; with later extensions and is one of the earliest surviving parts of the Works. McConnell's famous Bloomers were constructed here (see the Bloomer page). It is noted for its high quality brickwork, particularly polished brickwork detail around the window arches. The image shows only a detail as it is difficult to get a full view of the building. It can be seen from Tesco's carpark.

THE READING ROOM (Grade II)

Built by the L&B; Railway Company in 1838, it is part of the original Works complex adjacent to the Grand Union Canal, originally with attached wharfage. It provided reading materials, including up to date publications and periodicals for Works personnel, showing the railway company's committment to education. It also included the upholstery and sewing shops, and the Methodists used it for worship until they had their own building. It was also used for an inquest into an early railway disaster at Blue Bridge.

WOLVERTON VIADUCT (Grade II)

This is described in detail, with several photographs, in the Viaduct page.

MILEPOST IN STRATFORD ROAD (Grade II)

Not only buildings get listed! It is on the left hand side of the road going towards Stony Stratford, just past the junction with Great Monks Street. It dates from 1833 and is made from cast iron and is V plan, open to back with down sloping triangular cap. Lettered in raised capitals. There was an error in the original mould and "Wolverton" was omitted. This was subsequently painted in below "Stratford". It was recently restored and re-set in its original location by MK Museum assisted with a grant from Wolverton and Greenleys Town Council. The casting error has not been re-corrected.

17th CENTURY HEADSTONE (Grade II)

This headstone has been listed as group value with Holy Trinity Church. Ironstone. Curved and eared design to top. Inscription reads "her Lyeth the body of James Miller Husb. of Amy Miller who departed this life (1690)".

TWO CHEST TOMBS (Grade II)

Also listed group value with Holy Trinity Church. Late 18th century. Ironstone with quarter baluster corners. Tomb to East has inscription in the panels to each long sides. Inscriptions read "Thomas Ratliffe died Jan 17th 1775 Aged 70 years", "Elizabeth Ratliffe died Jan 11th 1746 Aged 42 years. "Edward Cooke died 24th July 1794 Aged 60 years", "Mary Cooke died 27th Jan 1809 Aged 75 years. Tomb to west is enclosed by early 19th century cast iron railings featuring urn finials. One face is obscured by ivy but other face inscribed "Beneath Jane Ratliffe Daughter of Tho & Emma Ratliffe departed this life June 16th 1790 in the 23rd year of her age".

 

WSAH HOME PAGE