Only frantically Anglophile theatergoers are likely to derive much joy from this limp two hours of high-toned cultural tourism.
For children who aspire to a career in the performing arts, attending summer theater camps can be a steppingstone to Broadway or even Hollywood.
This production is a reminder how invigorating an Off Broadway play can be with just two appealing performers, compelling music and an intelligent script.
The stage adaptation of “Dog Day Afternoon” is more a curiosity for fans of the movie than any elucidation on the Oscar-winning screenplay.
John Waters has begun writing a treatment for a sequel to the movie musical “Hairspray.”
Selective listings from theater critics of The New York Times.
The stage adaptation of this Beckett story is being captivatingly performed by Ralph Fiennes.
From the Archive
Interviews with performers, designers and others in the theater, on Broadway and off.
Top Grossing Broadway Shows
The Lion King, $1,321,116
Jersey Boys, $1,150,420
The Little Mermaid, $1,142,422
Mamma Mia!, $1,007,600
In the Heights, $1,006,911
Mary Poppins, $978,868
South Pacific, $899,258
The Phantom of the Opera, $863,776
Legally Blonde, $855,990
(Note: “Young Frankenstein” is not reporting its grosses.)
MOST POPULAR - THEATER
- Barbara Ann Teer, 71, Dies; Promoted Black Arts
- Theater Review | 'Expatriate': Ah Paris, Beacon of Freedom, City of Jazz
- Theater Review | 'Some Americans Abroad': This Blessed Plot, Those Incurable Anglophiles
- Theater Review | 'Eh Joe': Words Fail Him, but Memories Can’t Be Silenced
- Jets? Yes! Sharks? ¡Sí! in Bilingual ‘West Side’
- Theater Review | 'Dog Day Afternoon': Vintage Brooklyn Mayhem, Live on Stage
- Theater Review | 'First Love': The Sheer Inconvenience, Let Alone Intrusiveness, of Life and Love
- Theater Review | 'Kicking a Dead Horse': Horse Can’t Head Into the Sunset in Sam Shepard’s New West
- Theater Review | 'Alfred Hitchcock's The 39 Steps': Spies, Blonde and a Guy Go North by Northwest
- Theater Review | 'I'll Go On': Linguistic Somersaults Through Beckettian Pastures
- Playing Innocent Abroad
- Obama Gets Europe's Ear, Pleasing Crowds Without Specifics
- Apple's Culture of Secrecy
- Candidates Spar Over Troop Surge and Iraq Chronology
- 4,000 U.S. Combat Deaths, and Just a Handful of Images
- It's Botox for You, Dear Bridesmaids
- Blogging's Glass Ceiling
- U.S. Expands Visa Program for Iraqi Allies
- Complaining Bloggers Have a Cable Company's Ear
- What's Lurking in Your Countertop?