I did a search here and found some good stuff on what not clean , how to clean with testools , lots of good stuff. But what I didn't find anywhere what GMST's are and why you have to clean them.

I think I didn't need this before due to fact that they don't occur in pure MW and are something to do with TRIB / BM ? Im only just installing those extensions . Any way a pointer to a FAQ or anything would help.

I just need to get my head around what they are and why I need to clean them or not as the thread about don't use Testools on these mods mentions

- thanks in advance (a virtual beer / and or cookies 'n cakes for those kind souls who help )
I don't have a link handy, but I can give you a two-second introduction.

GMST are global game settings. They control all sorts of things. They've been there from the beginning, but they didn't become a problem until after bloodmoon and tribunal.

The expansions added some GMSTs to those defined by Morrowind. That's not the problem. The problem is that the construction set was changed to know about those GMSTs. With the new construction set, if you created a mod that relied only on Morrowind.esm, there were no values loaded for the new GMSTs. When you save your mod, the editor would set those new GMST values to 0!

That's not right. So, if you use the new construction set, and you make a mod that relies only on Morrowind.esm, you need to clean your mod before releasing it. If you have an unclean mod loaded, lots of things don't work properly. I recall snow falling in a city where it shouldn't, a summoning spell not functioning, trade interface text changing, and others.
Thanks

So if I get it right it's the CS. So e.g. GMST for 'Snow in City XXX' should be 1 to stop it - the CS makes it 0 .. So the reference in the Mod needs to be deleted so it picks up the real one from the game ???

Pretty much, yes.
QUOTE(atteSmythe @ Apr 13 2006, 12:43 PM) *

Pretty much, yes.

- You Sir are a Scholar and a Gentleman - foodndrink.gif your virtual ale + cake.gif cake
Thanks
You are probably more logical than I am and wouldn't have this happen to you. It's not just modders who create GMSTs. I have found dirty mods by well-known modders, people who should know better...then found I was creating them myself when I went into mods and made the simplest of changes, like armor or weapons values. blush.gif
This is heresy I know, but I don't pay any attention to the 72 'dirty' GMSTs. None of them affect anything I do in the game, ever. They are not game-breaking for everyone.

Thanks - I have a much deeper understanding now
QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ Apr 13 2006, 11:43 PM) *

This is heresy I know, but I don't pay any attention to the 72 'dirty' GMSTs. None of them affect anything I do in the game, ever. They are not game-breaking for everyone.

PW...we're not just talking "dirty"...."EVIL". See, there are evil GMSTs and they cause dirty mods, and, you know, contamination, and then dirty saves. And you're saying these evil, dirty, contaminated, rotten, morally degenerated and probably stinky mods are okay? dead.gif

Well, okay. If you say so.
I'm not saying everybody should ignore them. If you plan to be a werewolf or levitate you will want to make sure these aren't in your game. I don't use any of the features affected by the 72. There's no reason for me to be concerned about them.

Useful hygiene thread . . .
Let's make it even more useful. ^_-

Here's something I posted in a similar thread...

QUOTE(Earth_Wyrm @ Apr 27 2006, 11:56 AM) *

[...]Many GMSTs serve a valid purpose.
Usually it's actually dirty if there are 72 or 11 (11... I think?) GMST changes.

In fact, for reference purposes... I'll just go create a list of the dirty GMSTs...
I'll be right back.

Edit:
sWerewolfRestMessage
sWerewolfRefusal
sWerewolfPopup
sWerewolfAlarmMessage
sTeleportDisabled
sProfitValue
sMaxSale
sMagicFabricantID
sMagicCreature05ID
sMagicCreature04ID
sMagicCreature03ID
sMagicCreature02ID
sMagicCreature01ID
sLevitateDisabled
sEffectSummonFabricant
sEffectSummonCreature05
sEffectSummonCreature04
sEffectSummonCreature03
sEffectSummonCreature02
sEditNote
sEffectSummonCreature01
sDeleteNote
sCompanionWarningMessage
sCompanionWarningButtonOne
sCompanionWarningButtonTwo
sCompanionShare
iWerewolfLevelToAttack
iWerewolfFleeMod
iWerewolfFightMod
iWerewolfBounty
fWerewolfWillpower
fWerewolfUnarmored
fWerewolfStrength
fWerewolfSpeed
fWerewolfSpeechcraft
fWerewolfSpear
fWerewolfSneak
fWerewolfSilverWeaponDamageMult
fWerewolfShortBlade
fWerewolfSecurity
fWerewolfRunMult
fWerewolfRestoration
fWerewolfPersonality
fWerewolfMysticism
fWerewolfMerchantile
fWerewolfMediumArmor
fWerewolfMarksman
fWerewolfMagicka
fWerewolfLuck
fWerewolfLongBlade
fWerewolfLightArmor
fWerewolfIntelligence
fWerewolfIllusion
fWerewolfHeavyArmor
fWerewolfHealth
fWerewolfHandtoHand
fWerewolfFatigue
fWerewolfEndurance
fWerewolfEnchant
fWerewolfDestruction
fWerewolfConjuration
fWerewolfBluntWeapon
fWerewolfBlock
fWerewolfAxe
fWerewolfAthletics
fWerewolfArmorer
fWerewolfAlteration
fWerewolfAlchemy
fWerewolfAgility
fWerewolfAcrobatics
fFleeDistance
fcombatDistanceWerewolfMod

Those are the 72 'dirty' GMSTs (Which stands for Game Settings). The inclusion of these settings does not necessarily make a mod dirty - it could just be changing the setting.
It's usually only when you see them all together that it's a problem.

I think.

Edit:
Plus something from Yacoby, same thread:

QUOTE(Yacoby @ Apr 27 2006, 12:47 PM) *

11 or 61 or 72 (61 + 11 = 72)

Edit2:
Eh. Has anyone got a list of the actual impact of existing 'evil' GMSTs?
Could be handy... the only one I know is the two summoning spells from Bloodmoon being broken... and something to do with 'Max Sale'?
QUOTE(Earth_Wyrm @ Jul 16 2006, 09:10 PM) *
...Eh. Has anyone got a list of the actual impact of existing 'evil' GMSTs?...

Largely as you said, quoting Argent in his Morrowind Tech:
....This contamination breaks the Summon Fabricant spell and changes the names of the Seller Max (to Max Sale) and Share (to Companion Share) buttons. Bloodmoon added another 61 GMST entries bringing the total to 72.
The origin of these entries is the Construction Set executable file itself, and has nothing to do with any of the master (esm) files. This can easily be proven by loading the CS.exe file, and then saving a file without loading any content. The result is about 80+ kb of GMST entries (1400+), all with incorrect values. These incorrect Morrowind GMST values manifest as a widespread corruption of text strings throughout the game, the most notable is having the letter 's' prefixing every skill and ability....

Thanks for the additions you made. thumbsup.gif

QUOTE(Ronin49 @ Jul 16 2006, 11:13 PM) *

Largely as you said, quoting Argent in his Morrowind Tech:

Thanks for the additions you made. thumbsup.gif

so does anyone know how to fix the 72 put in the game by the expansions? cause i have the 3 summon spells from bloodmoon and none of them work!!! due to the evil GMST's.....
Either find the dirty mod(s) and clean them, or search for a mod like "GMST fix" at PES and load it last.
Get TESTool and run the "Clean ESP/ESM files" function on your loaded plugins.
One of the Mods shouldn't be cleaned of the GMST.

Specifically, the one that fixes the Turn Undead spell.
It's also possible to find a GMST fix mod, set its date to the far future (so that it'll always be loaded after all other mods), and never care again about GMST contamination.

Only problem then is if you want to use a rebalance mod that actually changes some of these game settings.

Oh, you wonder how to set one file's date to the future? Simple. Click on the clock in your Windows taskbar. You get to a screen that lets you adjust time and date. Just put the year in, say, 2027. Hit "Apply". Open the GMST Fix mod in your editor, and save it. Now puts the year back to 2006 (or whatever year it for you is in the real world, for all of you people who're reading this thread long after this post was made) and hit OK.
TESTool is intelligent enough to distinguish between "evil" and wanted GMSTs. I don't have the Turn Undead Fix, but for plugins like Wakim's Balance mods which also contain quite a number of wanted GMSTs, it's usually safe.
Though I'd advise to actually read that thread, at least until Iudas' long explanation, and not just to rely on the list in the first post. smile.gif
A plugin like Lokken is already clean, but doesn't suffer any negative consequences if you run TESTool's cleaning routine over it. The exception is the Merge dialogue function, which should not be used on it.
The Unofficial Patch, otoh, is something which most probably should be left alone entirely.
QUOTE(Varana @ Nov 9 2006, 08:39 PM) *

Get TESTool and run the "Clean ESP/ESM files" function on your loaded plugins.

I run TESTool over all my mods before starting a new game, but I use the option to save the results in a "Clean" sub folder. I then go over the log files, and any files that I think shouldn't have been cleaned, I delete. When I am done, I just move the remainder into my data files folder.

This method is the fastest and most reliable way I have found, but does require quite a bit of knowledge about how esp files work.
With the power of this thread and the Mythicmods page on GMSTs combined, we have a pretty definitive guide to GMSTs.
QUOTE(Earth_Wyrm @ Mar 2 2007, 03:21 AM) *
With the power of this thread and the Mythicmods page on GMSTs combined, we have a pretty definitive guide to GMSTs.

Yep. Yeah, we certainly do.
Yeah.
QUOTE(Earth_Wyrm @ Aug 13 2007, 09:41 PM) *
Yep. Yeah, we certainly do.
Yeah.

talking to yer self again wyrm? tongue.gif

anyway this was VERY usefull thnx all always wanted to know some things now not anymore
good4me-n-you foodndrink.gif bubbly.gif

cheers
I now use Wrye Vaccine and I never get a problem any more smile.gif
Is that so?
I see, I see. read.gif
Submit a Thread