Office of the Chief Financial Officer
Welcome to the home page of the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of the Chief Financial Officer. Our mission is to assure the effective management and financial integrity of Department of Energy programs, activities, and resources by developing and implementing and monitoring Department-wide policies and systems in the areas of budget administration, program analysis and evaluation, finance and accounting, internal controls, corporate financial systems, and strategic planning.
- Serve as the principal advisor to the Secretary and other
Departmental officials on matters relating to the Department's
- Provide for and assure the financial integrity, formulation,
execution, and analysis of the Department's annual and multi-year
- Develop and maintain an integrated agency-wide financial
accounting system, including systems for cash management,
credit management, and debt collection, with appropriate
financial reporting and internal controls.
- Provide for consolidated finance and accounting services.
- Plan and perform Department-wide reviews to determine compliance
with the requirements of the Federal Managers' Financial Integrity
Act and Departmental accounting and financial policy.
- Provide required reports which include a description and analysis
of the status of financial management in the Department, annual
financial statements, audit reports, and internal accounting and
administrative controls systems.
- Manage Departmental payroll services and, as appropriate,
cross-servicing to other Federal Agencies.
- Plan for and develop the Department of Energy Strategic Plan.
- Serve as liaison to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and
to the Congressional Appropriations Committees for all matters
related to the Departmental budget.
- Provide oversight and guidance to Field Offices on financial
- Budget for and maintain the Department of Energy Working Capital
- Review and make recommendations on Mission Need Statements
(Critical Decision-0) for proposed acquisition of new capital
- Develop program performance measures, manage the Department's
performance tracking system, and serve as the Department's
principal advocate for improved performance management.