Research and Development Agenda for Visual Analytics
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security chartered the National Visualization and Analytics Center (NVAC™) in 2004 with the goal of helping to counter future terrorist attacks in the U.S. and around the globe. A major objective for NVAC is to define a five-year research and development agenda for visual analytics to address the most pressing needs in R&D to facilitate advanced analytical insight.
Under the leadership of Pacific Northwest National Laboratory and top researchers on the R&D Agenda Panel, a Research and Development Agenda for visual analytics was developed to define the directions and priorities for future research and development programs focused on visual analytics tools. This R&D Agenda, Illuminating the Path, provides a coordinated technical vision for government and industrial investments, and ensures that a continued stream of technology and tools enter the hands of analysts and emergency responders.
The R&D Agenda presents recommendations to advance the state of the art in the major visual analytics research areas:
- The science of analytical reasoning
- Visual representations and interaction techniques
- Data representations and transformations
- Production, presentation, and dissemination.
The R&D Agenda also includes recommendations to accelerate the ability to move the most promising research into practice and set the stage for an enduring visual analytics research community through a combination of education and research collaboration.
Illuminating the Path: The Research and Development Agenda for Visual Analytics
The complete book is available for download below.
Entire Book - 190 Pages (27.3MB PDF)
Preface (84K PDF)
Executive Summary (346K PDF)
1. Grand Challenges (500K PDF)
2. The Science of Analytical Reasoning (1.9MB PDF)
3. Visual Representations and Interaction Technologies (4.6MB PDF)
4. Data Representations and Transformations (560K PDF)
5. Production, Presentation, and Dissemination (4.3MB PDF)
6. Moving Research into Practice (848K PDF)
7. Positioning for Enduring Success (108K PDF)
Additional Reading (84K PDF)
Illuminating the Path: Creating the R&D Agenda for Visual Analytics
This nine-minute movie contains interviews with many of the people involved in creating the Agenda for Visual Analytics. The movie explains the need for the book, the process of creating it, a summary of the contents, and the impact the book has made on the research community since its release. (PNNL-SA-51836)