Links related to the Open Letter
Our letter received a fair bit of coverage in the NZ IT media, some of which were picked up by international media sites.
- Here's the piece in ComputerWorld NZ magazine that started it all...
- A mention in an article on Trevor Mallard's \$10 million deal with Microsoft for schools.
- Another article about the Open Letter and the NZ Government's refusal to consider alteratives.
- An article about a couple of people were actually reprimanded by their managers, afraid of reprisals from Microsoft, for signing our letter.
- NZ's own DevCentre.org makes mention of the letter in its politics section.
- LinuxToday linked to an article on Stuff.co.nz (no longer available) related to Mallard's response to the Openz Letter. The user comments here are interesting.
- Here's a flattering award "Best viral marketing", from ComputerWorld.
- Due to the publicity it's managed to garner, a few people asked about the genesis of the Openz Open Letter. This account I wrote was posted on OpenSourceSchools.org...
It appears that we have also had an impact on other efforts with a similar spirit elsewhere in the world. A quick search on Google yields the following:
- We are given a footnote in Open Software & Open Standards in South Africa (or in the original PDF format) rather comprehensive advisory document by South Africa's National Advisory Council on Innovation.
- We are listed on the DebianLinux.Net "freedom" page, as striving for National Digital Freedom for NZ.
- For those of you who read portugese, Nelson Correa de Toledo Ferraz alerted us that he initiated a similar effort to promote open source software to government in Brazil, inspired in part by our letter.
- Our letter was carried as a feature, in its entirety, on www.opensourceschools.org, a US based site promoting the use of open source software in schools.
- Here's an interesting site for those who read kanji, which appears to be a compendium of open source related advocacy sites including Openz.
- A few mentions in the Syndey Linux List, starting here.
- The above message got a mention in Linux user mailing list at ANU, with discussion ensuing...
- Here's another effort (see here and here) from South Australia.
- And one from the PLUG (Perth Linux Users Group?).
- The "Canopener.ca" group (in Canada) also mentioned us...
- Actrix NZ mentions us in their Introduction to Open Source article by John Anderson...