Here Lies the Supreme Court:
Gravesites of the Justices
Gladstone, the famous British Prime Minister, once said:
"Show me the manner in which a Nation or community
cares for its dead and I will measure with mathematical
exactness the tender sympathies of its people, their respect
for the laws of the land and their loyalty to high ideals."
As our country prepares to celebrate the constitutional
bicentennial, it is appropriate to honor the memory of
the ninety-one deceased members of the Supreme Court of
the United States.
The table which appears as an appendix to this article
lists the final resting place of each justice and is the
product of more than a year of active research. It represents
the first attempt to provide a central source for this
information. Some unanswered questions remain, and perhaps
During the course of this study several interesting stories
surfaced which seemed worthy of preservation. They are
presented here for the benefit of those who share a particular
interest in historical anecdotes concerning the Supreme
Associate Justice James Wilson of Pennsylvania was the
first member of the new republic's high bench to leave
this world. The last years of Wilson's life were both
tragic and pathetic. Hounded by creditors and imprisoned
briefly for debt while riding circuit in New Jersey he
sought refuge from his problems in Edenton, North Carolina,
the home of fellow Supreme Court Justice James Iredell.
Suffering from malaria, Wilson died following a stroke
in 1798 in a dingy room at the Hornblow Tavern near the
Edenton court house. He was buried without great ceremony
in a private plot belonging to the family of Iredell's
wife, Hannah Johnston.
Ironically, the second member of the Court to die was
James Iredell and these two members of the original Court
Wilson and Iredell—lay together in the same burial
ground for more than 100 years. The City of Brotherly
Love eventually reclaimed Wilson, a brilliant legal scholar
and Constitutional Convention delegate; Wilson's body
was removed in 1906 to the Second Street churchyard of
Philadelphia's Christ Church.
A more difficult interment to trace than Wilson's to Philadelphia
concerned "Abbey Mausoleum" in Arlington, Virginia
where, according to 1942 newspaper accounts, Associate
Justice George Sutherland had been buried following funeral
services at the Washington Cathedral. The initial problem
was simply locating the Mausoleum.
Largely abandoned, Abbey Mausoleum still exists, located
immediately beside the Arlington National Cemetery According
to local tradition, certain relatives of military personnel
who were buried in the National Cemetery but who were
not eligible themselves for burial there, purchased adjacent
property in the 1920's and by private subscription erected
the mausoleum. A monolithic, bunker-like structure, the
building has space for more than 200 crypts and was originally
graced with stained glass windows and skylight. Today
the windows are broken and boarded up and the doors are
The grounds of Abbey Mausoleum are now completely surrounded
by federal property and the only means of access is through
the U.S. Marine Corps establishment known as Henderson
Hall. A few volunteer Marines now keep a watchful eye
over the building, which is in its current depressing
state as a result of prolonged and extensive vandalism.
Once having located the correct building, it was still
necessary to verify that Justice Sutherland was in fact
buried inside. Unfortunately Sutherland's presence could
not be determined with certainty due to the damage and
disarray of the interior. It was depressing to think that
the proper, starchy and conservative Justice Sutherland
could have come to such a sad and undignified end. On
a hunch, three possible locations in the area where a
transfer of his remains might have been made came to mind.
Further investigation verified that Justice Sutherland
had indeed been removed across the Potomac River in June
1958 to the Sanctuary Mausoleum at Cedar Hill Cemetery
in Suitland, Maryland. Architecturally this mausoleum
resembles from the outside an Angkor Wat afterthought.
But inside, the atmosphere is calm and bright—very
dignified and very proper.
Researching gravesite information for Associate Justices
Moody Barbour, Chase, and Duvall, has caused some researchers
to go prematurely gray William Moody proved hard to locate,
not because he had been moved, but because his churchyard
has been moved, in the sense that township boundaries
had shifted since 1917 as a result of urban growth. Philip
Barbour's grave in Congressional Cemetery in Washington,
D.C. was difficult to find because the inscription on
the monument has weathered poorly since 1841. In good
light, the inscription can be made out, but only if the
reader is less than two feet from the face of the memorial.
Samuel Chase has been buried in the same spot since 1811,
but in today's Baltimore the name "St. Paul's Cemetery"
designates a large, semi-rural cemetery southeast of the
Inner Harbor. In Chase's lifetime, "St. Paul's Cemetery"
referred to a downtown churchyard on West Lombard Street.
Even more frustrating, "Old" St. Paul's presents
only a blank, tall brick wall to public view on Lombard
Street. The cemetery entrance, open only on Saturday mornings,
is around the block on Redwood Street. The final resting
place of Gabriel Duvall proved impossible to locate with
certainty for the simple reason that no one knows exactly
where he was buried.
Judge Duvall owned a large farm in Prince George's County
Maryland roughly half-way between Annapolis and the new
federal city on the Potomac. The Duvall estate, "Marietta,"
had its own family burial ground sited about one mile
from the main house. The house, seemingly in excellent
repair but not open to the public, still stands on a slight
rise with a handome view of the Maryland countryside from
the front porch. Most of the original estate has been
sold and sub-divided and resold many times, so that the
old Duvall family burial ground has become separated from
the relatively small part of the estate which remains
surrounding the main house.
In order to find the burial ground today a first time
visitor should find a local guide, lest the visitor become
forever lost in the wilds of Prince George's County If
the Duvall family burial ground ever had a fence or discernible
boundary no evidence remains. Three gravesites, lying
close together are marked with clearly legible inscriptions;
nothing else is Visible. A horizontal stone tomb cover,
tilted and broken in half because a tree has grown through
the brick enclosure of the grave, memorializes Mrs. Mary
Gibbon, the mother of Judge Duvall's second wife. A simple
gravestone in the center marks the burial of two very
young Duvall grandchildren who died within days of each
other. The children's father rests beside them beneath
a very handsome monument inscribed to the memory of "Col.
Edmund B. Duvall." Interestingly the surname on the
children's headstone is twice spelled "Duvall."
The old judge outlived his only son by several years,
and local tradition has it that Gabriel Duvall was buried
somewhere in the vicinity of his son's grave; however,
no grave marker or document remains to verify this contention.
Justice Duvall's journal reveals that his second wife,
Jane Gibbon, was buried beside her mother some ten years
before his own death. It is also known that Edmund Duvall's
wife wished to be buried beside her husband. Neither of
the wives, however, were remembered with a lasting marker
or inscription in the family graveyard.
"Marietta" was devised to Gabriel Duvall's two
grandsons, both of whom were very fond of their doting
grandfather. Therefore, it is not the case that no one
was left in the family at the time of the judge's death
who cared to—or could afford to—erect a stone
memorial. Perhaps the judge desired no grave marker or
monument for himself—a gesture of modesty or self-effacement
that was not uncommon in the humble and trusting expectations
of popular religion in his time. Perhaps a simple wooden
marker was once placed upon his grave. If so, it has long
In contrast, Justice Bushrod Washington is memorialized
by an impressive obelisk set in front of the family vault
at Mount Vernon. Justice Washington died in Philadelphia
in November, 1829, while riding circuit. His wife, Julia
Ann Blackburn, was present when her husband died. It seems
that "Anna" was always present and virtually
never left the judge's side. Two days after Bushrod died,
during the carriage ride home from Philadelphia for his
funeral and interment, she died of grief. Still side by
side, they are buried together in the vault area behind
the tombs of George and Martha Washington.
Richmond, Virginia is uniquely blessed in terms of the
historic dead who are buried there. Although Shockoe Hill
Cemetery is in a now run-down section of Richmond, the
cemetery itself and the well-marked family plot of Chief
Justice John Marshall are very well cared for. In Hollywood
Cemetery, overlooking the rapids of the James River, lie
Associate Justice Peter V. Daniel, and Presidents James
Monroe and John Tyler. The Confederacy's only president,
Jefferson Davis, is also buried there. The life-sized
bronze statue of Davis standing above his grave gazes
across the quiet cemetery roadway to a large monument
marked only with the surname of a prominent Richmond family—Grant.
Some members of the Court have been buried close to home,
notably William Cushing, the first born of all Court members,
who was buried in Scituate, Massachusetts. Others lie
fairly far from home. The three Supreme Court appointees
from California are all buried in the Washington, D.C.
area. Both appointees from Alabama are buried elsewhere.
One of these, John A. Campbell, is buried in a remote
part of Green Mount Cemetery in Baltimore. Green Mount
is beautifully maintained, but Campbell's grave seems
rarely if ever, visited. Most of the tourist traffic to
Green Mount heads for the opposite corner of the cemetery
where John Wilkes Booth lies in an unmarked grave in the
Booth family plot.
William Paterson of New Jersey was on his way to Ballston
Springs, New York to "take the waters" when
he died at the Albany home of his daughter and Van Renssalaer
son-in-law. Paterson was laid to rest in the Van Renssalaer
family vault in 1806, and remained there until the city
acquired the property and relocated the cemetery. For
that reason, Albany Rural Cemetery in nearby Menands,
New York now claims two Justices—Paterson and local-boy-made-good,
Rufus W. Peckham—as well as President Chester A.
Hundreds of people pass the unusual burial place of Justice
Brandeis every day but only a few pause to nod respectfully
in the direction of a memorial stone as they make their
way to classes in torts or criminal procedure. Justice
Brandeis—the "people's attorney"—
and his wife were cremated, and their ashes are interred
together beneath the portico of the Law School of the
University of Louisville, in Louisville, Kentucky.
The State of Kentucky can boast of a total of seven Court
members' graves. Finding Justice Thomas Todd originally
presented some problems, as it was not clear that "State
Cemetery" in Frankfort was synonymous with "Frankfort
Cemetery" Robert Trimble is buried in the cemetery
in Paris, Kentucky. Although his grave is handsomely marked
by a twenty-five foot tall granite memorial, it took some
time to verify its location because cemetery records had
been destroyed in an office fire.
Citizens in Elkton, Kentucky fondly remember Justice McReynolds
and they point out his home and local office with great
pride and respect. McReynolds may not have been as well
regarded by his colleagues on the Supreme Court bench.
As one of his law clerks has written" . . . in 1946
he (McReynolds) died a very lonely death in a hospital—without
a single friend or relative at his bedside. He was buried
in Kentucky but no member of the Court attended his funeral
though one employee of the Court travelled to Kentucky
for the services." In an interesting aside, this
clerk noted that in 1953, McReynolds' aged negro messenger—Harry
Parker—died and the Chief Justice and four or five
Justices attended his funeral.
It has become customary for a departed Justice to be accompanied
to the grave by surviving members of the Court. The observance
of this custom in March 1930 created a considerable logistical
problem when Associate Justice Edward T. Sanford and former
Chief Justice Taft both died on the same day Taft's demise
was not unexpected and some preliminary planning had been
done for suitable obsequies in the nation's capital following
his passing. The death of Edward Terry Sanford, however,
was not expected; with some fast changes of plans, Chief
Justice Hughes and Justices McReynolds, Butler and Stone
travelled to Knoxville, Tennessee for Sanford's funeral.
According to a contemporary account in the New York Times,
"they hurried to the station immediately following
the services, and left on their special car for Washington
to attend the funeral of former Chief Justice Taft tomorrow."
The death of Chief Justice Waite in 1888 created a sensation
in the capital. When the Chief Justice became ill with
a slight cold, no information was released to the public.
No one thought that the illness was serious, and it was
considered desirable to avoid alarming Mrs. Waite, whose
own health was very delicate and who was in California
at that time. When Morrison Waite developed pneumonia
and died, the shock was all the greater for being unexpected.
The entire front page of the Washington Post on the morning
following his death was devoted to stories concerning
the Chief Justice. Large crowds attended services held
in the chamber of the House of Representatives, and all
the Justices except Bradley and Matthews accompanied the
body of their fallen leader on a special train to Toledo,
Ohio. Mrs. Waite was rushed by train from Los Angeles
to Kansas City where she was met by the family's doctor
who escorted her on to Toledo, arriving just in time for
final services and burial. The press reported that Chief
Justice Waite would be buried in a family plot that he
had purchased in Forest Hill Cemetery but for some unknown
reason, he rests instead with a handsome monument over
his grave in Toledo's Woodlawn Cemetery.
Justice David Brewer is easily located in Mount Muncie
Cemetery in Lansing, Kansas. Justice Samuel Nelson's gravesite,
however, was a different matter as all records for Lakewood
Cemetery near Cooperstown, New York are now kept in the
garage of the current superintendent. In Newark, Ohio,
local citizens know that Justice William B. Woods and
his brother, both Union Army Civil War generals, were
buried at Greenlawn Cemetery The fact that William had
served on the U. S. Supreme Court, however, was "news"
in Newark. In Bloomington, Illinois, apparently all the
citizens know and take pride in their heritage as represented
in Evergreen Cemetery Justice David Davis rests there
in honored peace, near Vice President Adlai Stevenson
and his grandson and namesake. In contrast, not even the
office at Calvary Cemetery in St. Paul, Minnesota could
verify the burial there of Justice Pierce Butler; ultimately
the pertinent information was obtained from the diocesan
central office for Catholic cemeteries. Although many
people believe that Chief Justice Oliver Ellsworth is
buried on the grounds of the Ellsworth Homestead in Windsor
Connecticut, he lies in fact in the cemetery behind the
First Congregational Church overlooking the Farmington
Many of the Justices' memorial monuments reveal a great
deal about the character of the deceased Justices, or
about the style and attitudes of their times. Prolixity
was in vogue in tombstone inscriptions in 1800. It takes
several minutes to read everything carved in John Blair's
inscription in the Bruton Parish churchyard in Williamsburg,
Virginia. On the other hand, only a stark "VAN DEVANTER"
— nothing else —marks the family plot of the
Justice in Rock Creek Cemetery in Washington, D.C. The
fairly ornate gravestone in Mt. Olivet Cemetery in Washington,
D.C. shared by Justice Joseph McKenna and his wife is
inscribed "In Sacred and Loving Memory of Amanda
Borneman McKenna as Wife and Mother" and, somewhat
brusquely "In Memory of Our Father."
The concept of rural, "garden cemeteries" as
places of peaceful and dignified repose "in the arms
of nature," far from crowded and noisy towns and
cramped churchyards, originated in Europe. The first and
foremost example was Pere-Lachaise Cemetery established
in Paris by Napoleonic decree in 1804. The first American
garden cemetery was established at Mount Auburn in 1831
in Cambridge, Massachusetts, followed by Philadelphia's
Laurel Hill (1836), Brooklyn's Green-Wood (1838), and,
arguably Pittsburgh's Allegheny Cemetery (1844).
Mount Auburn Cemetery was dedicated with great civic pride
and celebration, and one of the principal speakers on
that occasion was Associate Justice Joseph Story Joseph
Story is buried in Mount Auburn, as are scores of America's
celebrated political, literary, religious, and military
leaders. His grave is marked by a piece of sepulchral
statuary executed by his son, William Wetmore Story.
Oak Hill Cemetery is in Georgetown, an intriguing section
of the District of Columbia, and overlooks Rock Creek.
Among the distinguished residents of Oak Hill Cemetery
today one may find Chief Justice Edward Douglass White,
Associate Justice Noah Swayne, and "almost-Justice"
Edwin M. Stanton. Stanton's nomination by President Grant
was confirmed by the Senate, but Stanton died suddenly
on Christmas Eve, 1869, before he could be sworn in. Chief
Justice Salmon P. Chase was also buried here, but after
14 years his body was transferred to Spring Grove Cemetery
Without a doubt, the most intriguing Oak Hill related
story concerns Justice Henry Baldwin. Baldwin's sister,
Ruth, married Joel Barlow, a friend of Thomas Jefferson
and a some-time author, diplomat and politician. At the
suggestion of Jefferson, Joel Barlow purchased the Kalorama
estate. The estate, though located in the District of
Columbia, was once considered to be far out in the country,
away from the mud and confusion of the raw, new federal
city on the Potomac. Abraham Baldwin, U.S. Senator from
Georgia and brother of Henry Baldwin and Ruth Baldwin
Barlow, died in Washington, D.C. in March, 1807. The Barlows
subsequently constructed a family burial vault on the
grounds of their new estate, and had the body of Abraham
Baldwin transferred from Rock Creek Cemetery to the new
Several years later, Joel Barlow died in Europe while
on a mission from President Madison to Napoleon; he was
buried in Zarniwica, Poland. His widow returned to live
at Kalorama, and in due course, she joined her brother
in the family vault. The estate passed through bequest
and purchase to Colonel George Bomford, who had married
Clara Baldwin, the Justice's younger sister. At this time
in his career, Henry Baldwin was a prominent and prosperous
lawyer from western Pennsylvania. He served in the U.S.
House of Representatives, and was executor of Ruth's will.
In addition, he became young Henry Baldwin Bomford's well
Kalorama, in the days of Barlow-Bomford ownership, and
especially during the Republican administrations of Madison
and Monroe, was the glittering hub of the social scene
in the capital. Robert Fulton sailed model steam boats
up and down Rock Creek with Joel Barlow and the Marquis
de Lafayette came to call. Commodore and Mrs. Stephen
Decatur were also close friends of the Bomfords. When
Decatur was killed in an 1820 duel, he was buried in Kalorama
vault in accordance with his widow's request. The naval
hero remained there until 1846 when his remains were removed
to St. Peter's churchyard in Philadelphia.
Henry Baldwin became a trusted advisor to Andrew Jackson
in the 1820's and he was rewarded by "Old Hickory"
with an appointment as an associate justice of the Supreme
Court in 1830. Justice Baldwin subsequently suffered severe
financial reverses; developing a reputation for political
unreliability and mental instability the Justice was frequently
referred to as "Crazy Henry" He died in Philadelphia
in 1844 and was interred with his brother and sister in
the Kalorama vault.
Kalorama passed from family hands in 1846, but the 91-acre
estate survived essentially intact until about 1887. The
family vault, very close to the intersection of Massachusetts
and Florida Avenues, N.W. and no longer "in the countryside,"
was emptied in February 1892 and torn down. Abraham Baldwin
was returned to Rock Creek Cemetery where he had originally
been buried in 1807, and many of the other occupants of
the Kalorama vault went with him. Henry Baldwin, however,
was removed to a plot owned by his grandson in Washington's
Oak Hill Cemetery where other family members were already
buried. The Oak Hill Cemetery "Baldwin" plot
diagram clearly shows a small rectangle apparently indicating
where the Justice was buried, and cemetery lot records
reflect his transfer from the Kalorama vault in 1892.
There is however, no headstone or grave marker for Justice
Henry Baldwin in the family plot. On the other hand, a
large stone marker inscribed with his name and dates and
those of his wife rests solidly and serenely in Greendale
Cemetery in Meadville, Pennsylvania!
In 1866, the judge's widow, Sarah Ellicott Baldwin of
Baltimore, died in Batavia, New York and was buried in
Meadville, where she and Henry Baldwin had been married
in 1805. There is no interment record in the cemetery
book for Henry Baldwin at Greendale, but only for "Baldwin,
Mrs. Judge." Therefore, it could be presumed that
the stone in Meadville serves only as a memorial for the
Justice and is an actual grave marker for only his wife.
However, there is a local tradition in Meadville that
Justice Henry Baldwin is buried there, and an undated,
unannotated note in records of the Supreme Court Curator
suggests the same. In Meadville, the Crawford County Historical
Society Librarian advised that "there is no documentary
evidence that proves that Judge Baldwin is buried in Meadville."
A transfer to Meadville with interment beside his wife
remains a possibility but absent further documentation
it is most likely that he is still buried in Washington,
D.C. at Oak Hill.
If the question of Justice Baldwin's location proved difficult,
the questions concerning Justice William Johnson present
even greater problems. Authoritative writers about the
Court have assumed that Justice Johnson was buried in
Saint Philip's churchyard—near the grave of John
C. Calhoun—in his home town of Charleston, South
Carolina. There is a large monument to William Johnson
in that cemetery erected by his children; church records,
however, do not show that he was ever interred at Saint
The unsolved mystery of the missing judge begins in summer
1834 when William Johnson arrived in Brooklyn, New York.
The following was printed in the New York Evening Star
on August 5th:
The Hon. Judge Johnson, of South Carolina breathed his last,
at Brooklyn, at one o'clock yesterday He had arrived here
some weeks ago, for the purpose of placing himself under
the charge of an eminent medical practitioner of this city
having for some time suffered with an affliction of the
jaw, to eradicate which it required he should undergo the
most painful surgical operation. Dr. Mott, of this city
was selected for the purpose, who expressed his opinion
of the inability of the Judge to survive the operation.
With a knowledge of the expression of the surgeon, he still
determined upon placing himself under his hands; and without
the aid of friends, or being bound, he submitted, with the
utmost fortitude and calmness, to the most excruciating
tortures; but in the course of half an hour after completion
of the doctor's labors, he died of exhaustion, produced
by the sudden reaction of the nerves, which had been excited
to their utmost power in buoying up his mind throughout
the whole of the operation.
The funeral of the Hon. Judge Johnson will take place
from the house of Mr. Lewis, Corner of Columbia and Orange
streets, Brooklyn Heights, at half past 4 to-morrow afternoon.
The municipal and other authorities of the cities of New
York and Brooklyn, and members of the bar, officers of the
Army Navy and militia, and citizens and strangers, generally
are respectfully invited to attend.
On August 7, 1834, the New-York American reported the following:
The procession moved from the residence of Zachariah Lewis,
Esq., Brooklyn, down Nassau to Washington street, and down
Washington street to St. Ann's church.. . The body was left
in the church. It will be deposited in one of the vaults
of the marble cemetery until winter, when it will be removed
to South Carolina.
Apparently William Johnson's body was never seen again;
in a genuine "miscarriage of justice," his remains
were not returned to South Carolina!
Piecing together various bits of information, it appears
that the old parish of St. Ann moved to a new location at
Clinton and Livingston streets in 1867. The parish was relocated
and merged in 1966 with the neighboring parish of Holy Trinity.
Prior to 1800, a cemetery was laid out in "Wallabout,"
and a portion of the cemetery was allotted to "The
Episcopal Church." Sometime in the 1830's, the city
took over the land occupied by Wallabout Cemetery in condemnation
proceedings to permit the establishment of Wallabout Market
on the property A new burial plot, now known as The Evergreens
Cemetery was provided by the city and a portion of the new
cemetery was allotted to "The Episcopal Church"
which at that time seems to have consisted only of St. Ann's
Church and St. John's Church. In the 1890's the two churches
brought a partition action in King's County dividing the
Episcopal plot in The Evergreens Cemetery into two separate
parcels. The "marble cemetery" mentioned by the
New- York American may in fact have been the same "Wallabout
Cemetery" but if Johnson was eventually reburied at
"The Evergreens," no records exist to document
which parish received the gravesite in the partition action
of 1890. The truth is, no one really knows where William
Johnson is buried today.
Twenty-four states and the District of Columbia are represented
in the Table accompanying this article. In almanac terms,
the grave farthest to the east is in Portland, Maine; south—Savannah,
Georgia; north—St. Paul, Minnesota; and, west—Boulder,
Colorado. The final resting places of nineteen former Court
members are within a one hour drive of the present Supreme
Court building. New York has the greatest number of Supreme
Court gravesites—twelve, including the missing William
Johnson. Virginia has nine; Washington, D.C. also has nine,
unless Henry Baldwin was moved to Pennsylvania, after all;
Ohio—eight; Kentucky—seven; Maryland and Massachusetts—six
Currently the cemeteries honored by the graves of more than
one Supreme Court Justice are:
Arlington National Cemetery Arlington, Virginia 5
Mount Auburn Cemetery Cambridge, Mass. 4
Rock Creek Cemetery Washington, D.C. 4 Oak Hill Cemetery
Washington, D.C 3
Spring Grove Cemetery Cincinnati, Ohio 3
Mount Olivet Cemetery Nashville, Tennessee 2
Albany Rural Cemetery Menands, New York 2
Several former members of the Court have remained quite
neighborly with other Justices even after death. The four
justices buried in Rock Creek Cemetery are essentially paired
off. The Van Devanter family plot is within 40 yards of
that of the senior John Marshall Harlan. The handsome memorials
for the Chief Justice and Mrs. Harlan Fiske Stone are within
25 yards of the imposing black obelisk resting above the
grave of Stephen Johnson Field.
In Arlington National Cemetery, Justice William 0. Douglas's
grave lies near that of Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. Chief
Justice William Howard Taft is buried in Arlington in a
quiet, lovely section to the right of the main cemetery
entrance. Up the hill, 200 yards or so behind the Taft monument,
is a simple headstone, identical in size and shape to the
tens of thousands of military headstones in Arlington. This
particular simple grave marker is inscribed "Hugo Lafayette
Black, Captain, U. S. Army" Between the graves of Justice
Black and his first wife, a simple marble bench is conveniently
placed for the contemplative visitor. On the front of the
bench is inscribed a simple but eloquent tribute: "Here
Lies a Good Man."
Ninety-one such "good men" who served as justices
of the Supreme Court of the United States are listed in
the following table. Printed for the first time in one place,
this table provides complete burial site information as
a matter of historical interest in a neglected area.
* * * * * * *
*The author is particularly grateful for the assistance
and enthusiasm provided by Betsy Strawderman and Betty J.
Clowers at the Supreme Court of the U.S.; George Kackley
of Oak Hill Cemetery Georgetown, D.C.; Augustus T. Graydon
of Columbia, South Carolina; Shirley Baltz of Bowie, Maryland;
Edna Whitley of Paris, Kentucky; Evelyn Converse of Bloomington,
Illinois; Michael Cardozo of Washington, D.C.; Wilbert F.
Hesse of Brooklyn, New York; and, Richard Heckhaus of Rockville,
Maryland, who inadvertently triggered this project.
* * * * * *
TABLE OF DECEASED U.S. SUPREME
Service (See Note 1)
January 1780/New Haven, CN
April 1844/Philadelphia, PA
Hill Cemetery (See Note 2)
& R Streets, N.W.
May 1783/Orange County, VA
February 1841/Washington, DC
E. Street, S.E.
February 1886/Harlan, Alabama
September 1971/Washington, DC
August 1800/Williamsburg, VA
March 1820/New York, NY
July 1893/Newport, RI
Avenue at 25th Street
March 1813/Berne, New York
January 1892/Washington, DC
Broadway (Belleville Avenue)
November 1856/Louisville, KY
October 1941/Washington, DC
Louisville Law School Portico
Street at Eastern Parkway
January 1837/Smyrna, Asia Minor
Empire (Izmir, Turkey)
March 1910/Washington, DC
Muncie Cemetery (See Note 3)
#2, Box 1
March 1836/South Lee, MA
September 1913/Bronxville, NY
June 1888/Jamaica Plain, MA
October 1964/Washington, DC
March 1866/Northfield, MN
November 1939/Washington, DC
Cemetery (See Note 4)
May 1879/Charleston, SC
April 1972/Columbia, SC
& Gervais Streets
June 1811/Washington, GA
March 1889/Baltimore, MD
Avenue at Oliver Street
May 1870/New York, NY
July 1938/Port Chester, NY
Avenue at Crescent
1786/Pennsylvania (poss. Virginia)
May 1865/Nashville, TN
January 1808/Cornish, NH
May 1873/New York, NY
Grove Cemetery (See Note 5)
Spring Grove Avenue
April 1741/Somerset County, MD
June 1811/Baltimore, MD
West Lombard Street
September 1899/Dallas, TX
June 1977/New York, NY
Avenue at Restland Road
September 1857/Lisbon, OH
March 1945/San Diego, CA
August 1803/Rumney, NH
July 1881/Cornish, ME
November 1809/Watertown, MA
September 1874/Newport, RI
Mount Auburn Street
March 1732/Scituate, MA
September 1810/Scituate, MA
graveyard (now a state park)
Gate Street, Greenbush
April 1784/Stafford County, VA
May 1860/ Richmond, VA
South Cherry Street
March 1815/Cecil County, MD
June 1886 Bloomington, IL
East Miller Street
April 1849/Ravenna, OH
July 1923/Mackinac Island, MI
7th Street, N.W.
October 1898/Maine, MN
January 1980/Washngton, DC
December 1752/Prince George's
March 1844/Prince George's County, MD
George's County, MD
April 1745/Windsor, CN
November 1807/Windsor, CN
Cemetery (See Note 7)
from Fyler House
November 1816/Haddam, CN
April 1899/Washington, DC
Creek Church Rd. at Webster, N.W.
June 1910/ Memphis, TN
April 1982/Washington, DC
Cremated. No interment.
November 1882/Vienna, Austria
February 1965/Washington, DC
Mount Auburn Street
February 1933/August, ME
July 1910/Sorento, ME
North Clark Street
March 1828/Boston, MA