MTI Hungarian News Agency Corporation

 

About MTI

 

As a national news agency, MTI’s main mission is to ensure that the widest possible audience takes advantage of our high quality services.

MTI delivers news from all areas, featuring important international and national political developments, business events, sports or lighter news pieces.

MTI’s archives contain previous news reportings, press photos and graphics; the database includes events, organisations, and institutions.

In addition to classic news services, MTI activities encompass graphic services, and chronologies. In accordance with their specific needs, clients can commission text and photo reporting, or take advantage of MTI’s media and news monitoring services. Our clients’ press releases will be sent to the media and PR professionals.

 

Snapshots from MTI’s History

Two stenographers in the Hungarian Parliament, Géza Egyesy and Hugó Maszák founded the Hungarian News Agency at the end of 1880, which began operating in early 1881.

In 1914, World War I put the hitherto flourishing Hungarian News Agency in a difficult position. At the end of the hectic year of 1918, in a short letter Prime Minister Mihály Károlyi informed the owner and director of the news agency that MTI would be nationalised.

During the 1919 Commune the news agency became isolated on the international scene. Following the Commune’s fall several personalities appeared who in the next decades would shape MTI’s fate and development for a long time. Among the most important was Miklós Kozma, who alone defined MTI’s image in the 1920’ and 1930’.  

The Hungarian News Agency Corporation established on 21 April 1921 grew into an ever-increasing media empire under Kozma’s leadership.

At the time of World War II, MTI suspended operations for only a few weeks due to the war situation. The Provisional National Government, formed on 22 December 1944, appointed Gyula Ortutay in a brief Russian-language letter to head the Hungarian News Agency and the National Radio.

On 11 June 1945 the four coalition parties and the trade unions assumed the direction of MTI. In July, the Central Management Committee took over the corporation’s management and its assets were nationalised.

The former „MTI empire” started to shrink in size, and state supervision resulted in the company losing its independence. From March of 1950, Sándor Barcs became MTI’s executive director. In spring 1953, MTI moved into its new headquarters built on the Naphegy, a hill in central Buda.

During the 1956 revolution MTI correspondents were present at all events in Budapest and the countryside, reporting about developments.

The new Communist political power that took over after the revolution’s suppression did not take long to curb the press. Policies set by the Politburo and the Propaganda Department of the Hungarian Socialist Workers’ Party governed the editorial policies of MTI’s new services, for decades, until the system change in 1989/90.

Since 15 July 1997, the Hungarian News Agency operates as a corporation owned wholly by the Hungarian Parliament.  The operational framework of MTI is governed by Act CXXVII of 1996 on the National News Agency. MTI’s current President, Mátyás Vince took on his second five-year term appointment in December 2007.

 

Contacts

 

Publisher:
MTI Hungarian News Agency Corp.
President: Mátyás Vince

Contact Information:
H-1016 Budapest, Naphegy tér 8.
Tel.: (+36-1) 441-9000
Fax: (+36-1) 317-7577
E-mail: mti@mti.hu

Questions Concerning Content:

MTI News in English
Tel.: (+36-1) 441-9340 E-mail: notesz@mti.hu

Subscription and Price Information:
Sales Deparment

Tel.: (+36-1) 441-9050
Fax: (+36-1) 375-5446
E-mail: sales@mti.hu

IT Helpdesk:
IT Helpdesk hot line 0-24h

Tel.: (+36-1) 441-9500
E-mail: hirforgalom@mti.hu