|The 1200 Jail
The 1200 Jail is located at 1200 Baker Street just north of downtown Houston, Texas. This facility opened in January 2003. The Sheriff's Office and Administration including the Business Office, Central Patrol, Human Resources, Public Services, Support Services and the Sheriffs Special Assistant are housed on the first and second floors outside of the security perimeter.
The Classification center serves as an entry point for incoming prisoners. Each housing floor has a recreation area, multi-purpose rooms, triage rooms, treatment rooms, counseling rooms and MHMRA exam/interview rooms.
The 4th floor is dedicated to the female population and the 6th floor houses vocational rooms and a law library. New Choices, a substance abuse program, is also located at the 1200 Baker Street Jail.
- The 1200 Jail is almost a football field deep and twice as long
- The 1200 Jail is 603,000 square feet (703,000 square feet with the parking garage)
- The 1200 Jail contains 4,156 beds. There are an additional 96 beds for MHMRA. The Medical Division has a total of 124 beds
- The Medical Division at the 1200 Jail has negative airflow to help combat the transmission of airborne illnesses
- The 1200 Jail's administrative and managerial staff consists of:
- The 1200 Jail is staffed with approximately 430 sheriff's deputies and detention officers.