Botswana’s diamond-driven economic growth, faster than that of many oil rich countries since the 1960s, is reflected in Gaborone’s glass fronted office blocks and shopping malls. Since independence in 1966, successive Botswana Democratic Party (BDP) governments have harnessed this for social and economic progress, even when the HIV virus (which threatened to wipe out the country’s labour force) struck in the 1990s.
The European Union’s Commissioner for Development, Louis Michel, welcomed Tuesday’s inauguration of Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) leader Morgan Tsvangirai as Prime Minister of Zimbabwe, as part of a power-sharing agreement...
The newly-inaugurated European Commission Humanitarian Office in Haiti is expected to improve efficiency of EU emergency aid and disaster preparedness spending in the Caribbean country, explained Louis Michel, European...
- 05/02/2009: African cinema: Culture and … economics
- 04/02/2009: EU supports the African Union to increase peace and stability in Africa
- 30/01/2009: Europeaid - matchmaker for environmental projects
- 30/01/2009: EU puts ACP culture in spotlight
- 28/01/2009: L’Union européenne renforce ses sanctions contre le Zimbabwe