Search Discussions

Discuss

The content of Discuss is not produced by The Local unless clearly stated in a post.

Adding a comment is easy: just click on the 'Post reply' link below or at the bottom of the page. You have to register to add comments, but that only takes a few seconds. To find out more about The Local's Discuss section, click here.

Question for Canadian Citizen

 
Post new topic | Post reply    Index -> Living in Sweden (View latest) Previous topic | Next topic  
 Author  Message
Furu



Joined: 16 Jan 2008
Posts: 1191

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Question for Canadian Citizen Quote

Who signs the guarantee part when renewing the passport.

In Canada my doctor used to sign it.

Also, does MSVT renews permits past expiry date of passports.

thanks
Back to top Report abuse
Rap43



Joined: 14 Sep 2005
Posts: 71

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Quote

Just head on into the embassy - they can take care of it all. There is an extra fee for getting around the guarantor (you have to sign a declaration I think)... no problem renewing an expired passport within one year, but after that I think it has to be 'sent off' somewhere.

I just checked the same questions with them a couple of weeks ago, but my Swedish citizenship came through, so I will make my next trip on a Swedish passport... Will fix the Canadian passport after I get back.

Good luck.
Back to top Report abuse
Furu



Joined: 16 Jan 2008
Posts: 1191

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Quote

Rap43 wrote:
Just head on into the embassy - they can take care of it all. There is an extra fee for getting around the guarantor (you have to sign a declaration I think)... no problem renewing an expired passport within one year, but after that I think it has to be 'sent off' somewhere.

I just checked the same questions with them a couple of weeks ago, but my Swedish citizenship came through, so I will make my next trip on a Swedish passport... Will fix the Canadian passport after I get back.

Good luck.


I live in Umea.
Back to top Report abuse
davo339



Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Quote

you used to have someone like a doctor to change it before etc. but they have changed it a while ago (i had just gotten a passport last year before arriving here in sweden) you just need another canadian citizen that has a passport. so hopefully you know another cunuck there in umea, sadly in im stockholm area
Back to top Report abuse
Rap43



Joined: 14 Sep 2005
Posts: 71

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Quote

Furu wrote:
Rap43 wrote:
Just head on into the embassy - they can take care of it all. There is an extra fee for getting around the guarantor (you have to sign a declaration I think)... no problem renewing an expired passport within one year, but after that I think it has to be 'sent off' somewhere.

I just checked the same questions with them a couple of weeks ago, but my Swedish citizenship came through, so I will make my next trip on a Swedish passport... Will fix the Canadian passport after I get back.

Good luck.


I live in Umea.


Perhaps you should give them (The embassy) a call... no matter what, they will take care of it. Renewing an expired passport is a priority.

As for Migrationsverket, I expect they will happily put a new certificate in your new passport, once you get one.
Back to top Report abuse
aktaylor2



Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Quote

I went through this last week...

the lifted restrictions don't apply when renewing a passport while abroad. You need a guarantor (doctor, lawyer, bank person, mayor) that has known you for more than 2 years and lives in jurisdiction where you are applying... that is, within Sweden. If you don't have that, you need to get an extra form from the embassy (or maybe consulat? i don't know what's around in Umeå). it's an extra 60$CDN, i think and you need to give 2 additional names and numbers of references who have known you 2 years or more... they don't need to be canadian.
Back to top Report abuse
Furu



Joined: 16 Jan 2008
Posts: 1191

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Quote

aktaylor2 wrote:
I went through this last week...

the lifted restrictions don't apply when renewing a passport while abroad. You need a guarantor (doctor, lawyer, bank person, mayor) that has known you for more than 2 years and lives in jurisdiction where you are applying... that is, within Sweden. If you don't have that, you need to get an extra form from the embassy (or maybe consulat? i don't know what's around in Umeå). it's an extra 60$CDN, i think and you need to give 2 additional names and numbers of references who have known you 2 years or more... they don't need to be canadian.


the reason I asked is my passport is valid till next year.

but when I renew my permit here the extension would be past my passport expiry date.

so should I get a new passport before applying extension. will MSVT grant a permit that will be valid past my passport expiry date.
Back to top Report abuse
aktaylor2



Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Quote

You should ask MSVT about that then... I was on a student visa and they don't grant them if your passport isn't valid for the length of it... but they're only for one year anyway. my passport is fine until the end of 09, but my visa expires in May, so I had to renew.
Back to top Report abuse
Furu



Joined: 16 Jan 2008
Posts: 1191

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Quote

aktaylor2 wrote:
You should ask MSVT about that then... I was on a student visa and they don't grant them if your passport isn't valid for the length of it... but they're only for one year anyway. my passport is fine until the end of 09, but my visa expires in May, so I had to renew.


will check with MSVT.

how long does it takes to get a new one.

thanks
Back to top Report abuse
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic | Post reply    Index -> Living in Sweden All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Use of Discuss

Discuss is part of The Local's community section and is a forum for readers to exchange information and opinions on a range of subjects. The content in this section is not produced by The Local's staff unless clearly stated in a post.

Please read our terms and conditions and stick to them when posting.

We do not check every post. Instead, we rely on users to report abuse of the forum. We urge you to alert us to anything inappropriate, by clicking on 'Report abuse' under the post.

Don't post any private information about yourself (including your email address) unless you want it to be available for the world to see. Never assume that you are completely anonymous and cannot be identified by your posts.

Latest News
Counseling in English Individuals & Couples - Stockholm
Beth Rogerson PhD - Clinical, Marriage & Family Therapist
Click or call 08-5580 1266 now
Mountain retreat in Andalucia
Enjoy a unique holiday in this fantastic villa
For pics and more info click here
JOB: Website Coordinators / Website Promoters to Tallinn
Web Guide Partner is recruiting marketing and sales oriented Website Coordinators / Web Site promoters for its subsidiary in Estonia; Netlead OÜ, located in Tallinn
FULL JOB DETAILS
JOB: Teachers
Internationella Engelska Gymnasiet Södermalm (IEGS) seeks teachers for the Academic Year 2008-09
FULL JOB DETAILS
Learn Swedish Online! Fast and Easy!
Certified Swedish teachers + self-paced interactive lessons + vibrant community = LearnSweden
www.learnsweden.com
JOB: Stockholm Primary School seeks staff
The British International Primary School of Stockholm seeks staff to fill six vacancies
FULL JOB DETAILS
Looking for a job? In English - in Sweden?
Visit our job section, in cooperation with Stepstone.
VIEW JOBS
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Counseling
Stockholm based practice with an international perspective. Time for change? Contact us today to discuss your needs.
www.storey.se
Find the right relationship
Blonde ambitions? Darker thoughts? From brown-eyed girls to blue-eyed boys, you'll meet your match with Parship.
MORE INFO
Translation and English writing services
Top-quality Swedish-English translation and English writing services from The Local.
Click or call 08-656 6518 for more info
Psychotherapist UKCP reg.
Fluent English, Swedish and Dutch spoken
www.sizoo.se
Welcome to Adlon Hotel in Stockholm
A perfect location both for business and pleasure
Centrally located with atmosphere

The Local Europe AB
Gjörwellsgatan 28
112 60 Stockholm
Sweden