Empire 8, 2009

Re: Empire 8, 2009

Postby GoalsALLday on Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:25 pm

Alfred is a young but scary team... we will see really how they much up for the empire 8 when they open with Ithaca in Ithaca.
GoalsALLday

Postby future on Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:13 pm

Come on folks. I dont want to rain on the alfred parade....but before we start aadding them to up and coming in E8 please look at their first 5 games and the results of their first 3 games. This is a weak schedule. Almost as weak as you can get.

The days of Alfred being a contender are long gone. That ended in 1997. The would have never schedule dogs like these years ago. To make it to the next level they should be looking at taking an better teams to prepare them for the E8. Scheduling wins and squeaking by Sewanee and Brockport and Kings isnt going to help this group down the road.

Bring back Al Brown or even Matt Kerwick and the saxons of the early to mid 1990's. This group is a fraction (1/20) of what the used to be

2/28 at King's W 10- 6
3/07 BROCKPORT W 8- 7
3/09 at Sewanee W 8- 5
3/11 at Birmingham-Southern -
3/19 MORRISVILLE -
future

Postby overhandshooter on Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:57 pm

AU is far from the days of Al Brown, BUT they are also far from the jokes they were the past couple years. Coach Lockner is doing a great job building up the recruiting base and getting the team numbers back to being respectful. In reference to the schedule, is soft but gotta build an expectation to win and a winning attitude. Like I posted before, the offense being so young they are going to win games they should not and then loose games should not and let teams that should not be able to play with them play with them. All part of basically rebuilding a program from the ground up.
overhandshooter

Postby MasonDixonLine29 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:15 pm

overhandshooter wrote:AU is far from the days of Al Brown, BUT they are also far from the jokes they were the past couple years. Coach Lockner is doing a great job building up the recruiting base and getting the team numbers back to being respectful. In reference to the schedule, is soft but gotta build an expectation to win and a winning attitude. Like I posted before, the offense being so young they are going to win games they should not and then loose games should not and let teams that should not be able to play with them play with them. All part of basically rebuilding a program from the ground up.

What happened to Leslie...I had him as a Freshman last year with 28 pts???
MasonDixonLine29

Postby goalielax10 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:15 pm

MasonDixonLine29 wrote:
overhandshooter wrote:AU is far from the days of Al Brown, BUT they are also far from the jokes they were the past couple years. Coach Lockner is doing a great job building up the recruiting base and getting the team numbers back to being respectful. In reference to the schedule, is soft but gotta build an expectation to win and a winning attitude. Like I posted before, the offense being so young they are going to win games they should not and then loose games should not and let teams that should not be able to play with them play with them. All part of basically rebuilding a program from the ground up.

What happened to Leslie...I had him as a Freshman last year with 28 pts???

i believe he is at H.V.C.C
goalielax10

Postby D-III on Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:58 am

Handsome Ghost wrote:Here's a scoop for you big guy, your prep school buddies at Amherst are going to have their hands full tommorrow. Go Hawks!

Amherst 14, Hartwick 6 (Final) :roll:

Amherst gets in the win column after being blown out by Tufts. They even got to work in their young guys in the 4th.
D-III

Postby reLAXreLAXreLAx on Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:39 am

Hartwick out shot Amherst, but turned up a handful of goal shorts. Amerherst needs to thank their goalie for standing on his head. They were the better team this game.
I have faith in the Wick. They are starting 6 Fresh and Soph. They have experienced leadership on the sidelines. Things are sure to turn around.
reLAXreLAXreLAx

Postby future on Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:59 pm

I am down the middle on this. I for one think the coaches do a good job at Hartwick.

I also think that no matter how they outshot or how young they are, they are a far way from an Empire 8 top or middle team.

I would but them at about 7 or 8 or possibly 6th( a stretch)....there is a big drop off after 4 and 5.

Not bashing Hartwick. Think their solid, but they have some huge issues to overcome to start challenging in the Empire 8 or North region.

IMHO - If Hartwick played Amherst 10 times in the next few weeks....the score would be very similar.
future

Postby flyerfan on Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:47 pm

What about Naz? Very young squad. Seems to be adapting quite well to Randall's system...
flyerfan

Postby weswickone on Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:33 am

future wrote:I am down the middle on this. I for one think the coaches do a good job at Hartwick.

I also think that no matter how they outshot or how young they are, they are a far way from an Empire 8 top or middle team.

I would but them at about 7 or 8 or possibly 6th( a stretch)....there is a big drop off after 4 and 5.

Not bashing Hartwick. Think their solid, but they have some huge issues to overcome to start challenging in the Empire 8 or North region.

IMHO - If Hartwick played Amherst 10 times in the next few weeks....the score would be very similar.

Yes they are well coached and yes they are young, and despite the outcome at Amherst they do continue to improve, 4,5,5,6,7 E-8 who knows. I watched todays game against Potsdam and saw improvement which is what you want to see. They do need to put up more goals(like most teams) but they are starting to get goals from players other than Wilk, Kloss, and Caramello. Go Hawks!!
Enjoy The Ride!!
weswickone

Postby doublewide on Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:44 pm

Hartwick 6 Potsdam 5.
For all you stat guys you may not be impressed 14 saves, 4 ground balls, 1 SOG, 5 goals allowed. But yesterday i saw one of the most impressive goalie performances I've seen in 16 years of lacrosse. The Hartwick goalie #25 was all over the field, picking up ground balls, stopping shots, clearing himself, and picking up penalties on Potsdam. He had in the late moments of the game two of the sickest saves I've ever seen, one while in the air reaching over his shoulder and behind him to stop a point blank shot .After the game Coach Berkman literally sat by himself on the bench for 15 minutes shaking his head. It was ridiculous.
doublewide

Postby Upstate Laxer on Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:54 pm

doublewide wrote:Hartwick 6 Potsdam 5.
For all you stat guys you may not be impressed 14 saves, 4 ground balls, 1 SOG, 5 goals allowed. But yesterday i saw one of the most impressive goalie performances I've seen in 16 years of lacrosse. The Hartwick goalie #25 was all over the field, picking up ground balls, stopping shots, clearing himself, and picking up penalties on Potsdam. He had in the late moments of the game two of the sickest saves I've ever seen, one while in the air reaching over his shoulder and behind him to stop a point blank shot .After the game Coach Berkman literally sat by himself on the bench for 15 minutes shaking his head. It was ridiculous.

I have been preaching for a long time that John Meade doesn't get the respect he deserves, the kid is downright FILTHY. Not only can he save the ball, he gets out of the cage as well as anyone, he handles as well as anyone, makes clearing passes/decisions as well as anyone. He should be up there in the conversation for the best E-8 Goalie but many people will overlook him and it is a shame.
Upstate Laxer

Postby reLAXreLAXreLAx on Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:59 am

Hartwick College should thank its lucky stars that they have John Meade. He was outstanding throughout this game. I hope that his enthusiasm for the game and work ethic will spread through the team. Although this young man played outstandingly the game was won by all the hard work from the boys in white and blue. Go team!
Wick will need all its players to play cohesively and technically sound to continue its winning ways. I believe they can do.
The offense needs to continue to find ways to put the ball in the back of the net. Shoot, shoot, shoot.
The defense needs to stick together and fight through the injuries.
I look forward to Empire 8 play.
GO HAWKS!!!!!! :clap:
reLAXreLAXreLAx

Postby weswickone on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:00 am

Rit at Hartwick , Upstate Laxer you making the game? Meet me at the grill if you are, this weeks special chicken on a stick. Go Hawks!!
Enjoy The Ride!!
weswickone

Postby Upstate Laxer on Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:38 am

Unfortunately I will not be able to make it up to the game this weekend, Montauk St. Patty's Day Parade :). I am pretty sure many of us alumni are headed up the Nazareth weekend (April 4th) so make sure I get some taco salad!
Upstate Laxer

Re: Hartwick Hawks

Postby Handsome Ghost on Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:40 pm

Just a quick note. Hartwick's goalie John Meade put on quite a show Saturday against Potsdam, he simply refused to let this one get away. But folks let's realize that the "D" in general put on quite a show. At half it looked like they might "bagel" them with 0 on the board and letting in 5 total is a heck of a day. Give Potsdam credit for not quitiing, and the makeshift D of Hartwick, with two starters out, some kudos too.Middie Dave Aitchinson had a great game, and looks to be ready to break out. D will have to step up big Sat. for RIT. Go Wick!
Handsome Ghost

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Men's - Division III