NEW 2010 FORD HARLEY-DAVIDSON™ F-150: TOUGH TRUCK WITH COOL ATTITUDE; NEW DETAILS, INSIDE AND OUT
2010 Ford Harley-Davidson™ F-150
Click here to download related images.
- 2010 Ford Harley-Davidson™ F-150 edition features a new, bold front fascia and grille along with a premium interior and model-specific ornamentation
- Sport suspension and standard 22-inch polished, forged aluminum wheels and tires – the largest available on F-Series – complement refined ride of the new Harley-Davidson F-150 edition
CHICAGO, Feb. 10, 2009 – The 2010 Ford Harley-Davidson™ F-150 delivers a new standard of “custom cool,” combining the smooth handling and legendary durability of America’s best-selling truck with the authentic styling of Harley-Davidson, the industry leader in motorcycles.
This marks the 14th Harley-Davidson edition of an F-Series truck and latest in a line of Ford Harley-Davidson F-Series models dating back to 2000, which aim to appeal to customers who appreciate quality and unique details only this kind of collaboration can bring.
“Our successful co-branding, unmatched in the industry, offers customers true specialized truck luxury,” said Derrick Kuzak, Ford’s group vice president of Global Product Development. “Just like with our other associations, we’ve linked with an industry leader to offer the best
of the best.”
The successful collaboration between these two icons of the open road has produced eight F-150 models, as well as six Super Duty F-250, F-350, and in 2009, the first Harley-Davidson F-450 edition truck. The 2010 Ford Harley-Davidson F-150 is the first Harley-Davidson edition vehicle built off the award-winning new 2009 Ford F-150.
“This truck builds on the legacy of toughness that’s been the hallmark of the Ford F-Series brand,” said Matt O’Leary, chief engineer. “Now we’re giving customers more of everything they love with the best F-150 and the boldest Harley-Davidson F-150 ever – featuring a fully differentiated design, all-wheel-drive capability, 22-inch wheels and a knock-out interior.”
The exterior of the 2010 Ford Harley-Davidson F-150 offers a bold front fascia and six-bar shaped billet style grille and boasts specialized forged aluminum and Harley-Davidson® chrome badging. The truck will have a lowered appearance because of a fully integrated deployable running board.
Also standard are 22-inch low-profile performance tires – the largest in the F-Series lineup –
and Euroflange forged wheels with a polished and painted center wheel cap. The paint selection is classic Harley-Davidson – Tuxedo Black and the first Ford application of Lava, a deep maroon with three-color metal flake.
The interior is customized to appeal to the truck buyer who appreciates the attention to detail for which both Ford and Harley-Davidson are renowned.
“There’s a real tie-in between the truck’s interior and exterior designs,” said Patrick Schiavone, Design director. “It’s very much like how some customized Harley-Davidson motorcycles have a prominent theme that runs through them. That’s how we tie it in with custom bikes.”
Also impressive are the seats and console lid, which features hand-made cloisonné badges; the console has a limited-edition serialization plate.
“These handmade badges continue our theme of premium Harley-Davidson offerings,” said Schiavone. “Probably the only place that most people have seen hand-made cloisonné is on premium Harley-Davidson motorcycles. It’s really high craftsmanship, and people will recognize it as another connection between the two brands.”
Linkage is apparent even in the smallest details, such as adornments on the seats.
“The theme of the seat was designed to resemble a Harley® biker jacket,” Schiavone said. “We even used authentic materials you’d find on Harley-Davidson MotorClothes® brand apparel.”
The seat backs feature ribbed leather treatments, engraved Harley-Davidson button snaps and even zippered map pockets featuring zippers from Harley jackets.
It is important to the Ford Design team that the truck remain genuine to enthusiasts of Harley-Davidson, customers who traditionally are as loyal to their motorcycles as F-150 owners are to their trucks.
That’s why the team meets regularly with Harley-Davidson designers and travels to motorcycle events throughout the year – including Daytona Bike Week, Sturgis Motorcycle Rally and Harley-Davidson dealer meetings – to talk to current and potential customers. The team wants to be sure that when Harley-Davidson owners or enthusiasts need a truck, this is the truck they choose.
“We talk to everyone we can; we find out what the customer values,” O’Leary said. “We look at what they like, what they want, and what they wish they had, and we go from there.”
“No one understands their customers better than Harley-Davidson and Ford,” said Joanne Bischmann, vice president – Licensing, Harley-Davidson Motor Company. “We’re proud to share the spirit of Harley-Davidson authenticity in a unique interpretation of America’s favorite truck, the F-Series.”
About the F-150
On the new F-150, there’s a wealth of content complementing its unique appearance. The 2010 Ford Harley-Davidson F-150 is equipped with a 5.4-liter three-valve engine, which is rated up to 320 horsepower and 390 ft.-lbs. of torque and mated to a six-speed automatic transmission with a sport-tuned exhaust and a top speed of 115 mph.
The truck is available with 4x2 or an optional all-wheel drive, which features settings of 4x2, AWD and 4x4 high, unique to the Harley-Davidson edition on the F-150 platform. All 2010 Ford Harley-Davidson F-150 models will be SuperCrews.
The F-150 is new inside and out. The Ford truck team adopted a holistic, 360-degree approach to revamping the vehicle – from its segment-first features to the tough new exterior, a more spacious, flexible and refined interior and an unparalleled choice of cab styles and trim levels.
The improvements are just as dramatic beneath the sheet metal. They include a new high-strength, lighter-weight chassis that delivers even more horsepower, unsurpassed fuel economy and class-leading towing and payload capacity.
The new design has garnered an impressive array of awards:
- F-Series is the best selling vehicle in America for 27 consecutive years; best-selling truck for 32 consecutive years
- Motor Trend 2009 Truck of the Year Award™
- Top honors as “Truck of Texas” as well as “Best Luxury Pickup” for the 2009 F-150 King Ranch from Texas Auto Writers Association
- 2009 North American Truck of the Year
- “Best Overall Half-Ton Pickup” from PickupTrucks.com
- 2009 Best Redesigned Vehicle from Kelley Blue Book’s kbb.com
- “Automotive Excellence” award in the Workhorse Category from Popular Mechanics
- Motor Trend's Truck Trend Top 5 Trucks from Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) for 2009 Ford F-150 Heavy Duty DeWalt Contractor Concept
- Detroit Free Press Truck of the Year
- Detroit News Truck of the Year
- Best Truck by Florida Monthly
- Playboy’s 2009 Best Pickup
- “Accessory-Friendly Truck” Design Award from SEMA
- America’s Safest Full-size Pickup with 5-star frontal and 5-star side-impact crash-test ratings, the highest possible scores, in the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) tests.
- “Top Safety Pick” from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for its standard safety technology: Safety Canopy side curtain air bags and AdvanceTrac with Roll Stability Control
- “Residual Value” award from Automotive Leasing Guide (ALG) for retaining the highest percentage of its original price among 2009 full-size light duty pickups at the end of a conventional three-year lease, based on ALG projections
# # #
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 213,000 employees and about 90 plants worldwide, the company’s wholly owned brands include Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and Volvo. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford’s products, please visit www.ford.com.
Harley-Davidson, Inc. is the parent company for the group of companies doing business as Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Buell Motorcycle Company and Harley-Davidson Financial Services. Harley-Davidson Motor Company produces heavyweight street, custom and touring motorcycles and offers a complete line of motorcycle parts, accessories, apparel and general merchandise. As a subsidiary of Harley-Davidson, Inc., Buell Motorcycle Company produces sport motorcycles in addition to motorcycle parts, accessories and apparel. Harley-Davidson Financial Services, Inc. provides wholesale and retail financing and insurance programs to Harley-Davidson/Buell dealers and customers.