History of the School
Carver School can trace its beginning to the private school for Coconut Grove black children that was started by D.A. Dorsey in 1899. In 1901, the first public school was organized at St. Paul A.M.E. church under Rev. John Davis. The next year, the school moved to Thomas Avenue on land donated by patrons and friends. "The Little Schoolhouse", as it was fondly called, served the community until 1923 when the school was moved to Lejeune Road. In 1924, George Merrick,who was developing Coral Gables, offered the Board of Education five acres on Grand Avenue and Lincoln Drive, and a newly designed nine room Spanish building in exchange for the unfinished building on Lejeune Road. The new school, known as the Dade County Training School, housed elementary and junior high, and served black students from as far away as Homestead.
Mrs. Francis Tucker, a Tuskegee University graduate,
and friend of Dr. George Washington Carver, became principal in 1929, and served
until her retirement in 1956. Beginning in 1934, one high school class was added
each year until the first senior class graduated in 1939. When Dr. George
Washington Carver died in 1942, Mrs. Tucker led a movement to rename the school
in his honor. By this time the school was severely overcrowded and many portable
classrooms filled the school grounds. In 1950 the School Board acquired five
additional acres and hired architect, Alfred Browning Parker to design a modern,
new high school, which
opened in 1952. Carver High graduated its last senior class in 1966. In the fall of that year, senior high students were transferred to Coral Gables Senior High, and the former high school became Carver Junior High.
In February, 1970, the Federal court ordered the Dade County School system to desegregate all the faculties, and the following fall paired Carver Junior High with Ponce de Leon, making Carver a 7th grade center. The court also ordered Carver Elementary paired with Sunset, Coral Gables and Merrick Elementaries making Carver Elementary a kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade school. Since integration, Carver has added a proud heritage of being a model bi-racial, tri-ethnic school serving students from Miami, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables and Key Biscayne.
During 1985/86, Carver's population dropped to 53% of capacity. After many meetings with community and school officials, Carver requested to become a magnet school in international education, an idea that was initiated in 1982, at the Southern Governor's Conference. The first International Studies classes came to Carver in the 1987/88 school year. Since then, Carver has become a magnet school housing both the International Studies Program for students continuing their studies from Sunset Elementary School, and for French and Spanish nationals, and the International Baccalaureate Preparation Program for students beginning their study of foreign language at Carver in the sixth grade. Carver is the only middle school in Dade County offering advance placement testing in French, German and Spanish at this level.
On May 31, 1994, governor Lawton Chiles proclaimed International Studies Day in honor of the first sixteen graduates of the International Studies Magnet program.
Carver graduates have and will continue to distinguish themselves in all areas of public and private life. Gifted administrators, a dedicated faculty, and a supportive community continue to inspire and educate the leaders of tomorrow.