Apple Stores - Now & Future
Here's my official list of stores that opened during 2001-2003. Find detailed store information here: 2004-2006 / 2007 / 2008
Download an Excel spreadsheet of this information, or an Acrobat (pdf) version.
- Tysons Corner - McLean, VA - (May 19) - An indoor mall, with the store in an 8,000 s.f. space. Technically the first store to open, with 7,700 first-day visitors. Closed Oct. 13-Nov. 17, 2003 for floor change-out and column removal. [Apple press release]
- Glendale Galleria - Glendale, CA - (May 19) - An indoor mall, and because of it's west coast location, the second store to open, although it was Project #001 for Apple's retail team. Closed July 16-18, 2007 to create a small-store while renovations are completed through October, 2007. The renovations included strengthening the walls so interior columns could be removed, giving the store a more open look and feel. The interior was upgraded to V2.0 with back-lit wall graphics. [Apple's photos]
- Willow Bend - Plano, TX - (Aug. 3) - indoor mall. In mid-2006 the theater was removed, and the Genius Bar was moved to take its place and upgraded to five positions.
- Mall of America - Bloomington, MN - (Aug. 11) - indoor mall, 6,000 square feet, Tiffany & Joel FIL at 2 a.m. Closed Oct. 11-Nov. 11, 2003 for a floor change-out and theater renovation. [story/photos]
- Woodfield (Mall) - Schaumburg, IL - (Aug. 23) - indoor mall, Mike was FIL. The original wood flooring was replaced about two years after opening. Construction in late July 2006 removed theater and moved the Genius Bar from right-side to the rear space vacated by the theater. Renovated May 4-15, 2009. [photos]
- Northshore Mall - Peabody, MA - (Sept. 1) indoor mall
- Easton Town Center - Columbus, OH - (Sept. 7) - 1/2 indoor mall, 1/2 open-air; Apple store is in the open [great video!]
- International Plaza - Tampa, FL - (Sept. 18) - indoor mall
- Palo Alto - Palo Alto, CA - (Oct. 10) - free standing, and the first street-level Apple store. Building designed by Birge Clark in the 1930s. Swain's House of Music from 1963 to Oct. 1995, which accounts for the lyre design in the sidewalk in front of the store. Also housed the HomeChef store that suffered a fire in Dec. 1999. Apple re-built the store interior, but retained the original exterior, and built on a 2nd floor additional at rear of structure for more square footage; 6,500 sf. Sachin was first in line at the grand opening, at 1:30 p.m. Friday. In Aug. 2005 the warped wooden flooring was replaced with new wood, theater removed and replaced with Studio, software shelves moved to store back, replaced with counters/shelves for iPods and accessories. [grand opening] [photos] [make-over]
- Crossgates - Albany, NY - (Oct. 13) - indoor mall
- Saddle Creek - Germantown, TN - (Oct. 13) - outdoor street, 6,400 square feet [movie]
- Northridge (Mall) - Northridge, CA - (Oct. 13) - indoor mall. Renovated May 18-29, 2009.
- Westfarms - Farmington, CT - (Oct. 27) - indoor mall. Closed May 18 - June 4, 2009 for extensive renovation to latest interior design, including remove front POS, replace original white Corian kidneys and black shelving, install wall product shelving, replace wood floor, install One to One training table.
- Chandler Fashion Center - Chandler, AZ - (Oct. 27) - indoor mall
- Tice's Corner - Woodcliff Lake, NJ - (Nov. 3) - outdoor strip shopping center with 20 stores, and a "Main St." theme. In late 2006 construction will start to remove the store's theater, enlarge the Genius Bar and install a Creative Bar.
- Kenwood Towne Centre - Cincinnati, OH - (Nov. 3) - indoor mall, 6,500 square feet. Closed June 1-11, 2009 for renovation, including refinishing the wood floor.
- Aspen Grove - Littleton, CO - (Nov. 10) - outdoor strip mall, 6,200 square feet. Renovated April 6-23, 2009.
- Fashion Island - Newport Beach, CA - (Nov. 10) - open-air mall
- Walden Galleria - Buffalo, NY - (Nov. 23) - indoor mall [photo]
- The Falls - Miami, FL - (Nov. 23) - indoor mall, 8,300 square feet. Carmen was FIL. Closed July 16-20, 2007 to create mini-store, while the full store undergoes renovation and floor plan change. [story and photos]
- Fashion Valley - San Diego, CA - (Nov. 23) - outdoor mall. "Creative" job position appeared for the store on Aug. 29, 2004, indicating the store will eventually have a "Studio" bar. Renovated and slightly enlarged March-June 16, 2007. [mall info]
- Valley Fair - Santa Clara, CA - (Nov. 23) - indoor mall. "Creative" job position appeared for the store on Aug. 29, 2004, indicating the store will eventually have a "Studio" bar. In Sept. 2006 the store was renovated to remove the theater and place the Genius Bar in its place. The former Genius Bar is now the Studio bar. The store closed entirely July 16-20, 2007 to create a mini-store, while the full store undergoes renovation and floor plan change. Re-opened Nov. 17th.
- Clarendon - Arlington, VA - (Dec. 1) - open-air strip mall. Renovated in early 2007 to remove the rear theater, move Genius Bar to rear, and create iPod accessory area at former Genius Bar location.
- South Coast Plaza - Costa Mesa, CA - (Dec. 1) - indoor mall [photo by Tuan]. Rear theater will be replaced by Studio bar during December 2005. Closed in Oct. 2007 for floor plan change and renovation.
- Rockingham Park - Salem, NH - (Dec. 8) - indoor mall. In mid-2006 the store underwent a rennovation: new stone floor, removed the rear theater and replaced it with an expanded Genius Bar. The former Genius Bar is now iPod accessories and laptop cases.
The store closed for a week in early April 2009 for a second renovation.
- Palisades - West Nyack, NY - (Dec. 8) - indoor mall. Closed June 15 to July 2, 2009 for renovation. [photos] [photos]
- Cambridgeside - Cambridge, MA - (Dec. 15) - indoor mall - Underwent conversion from rear theater to rear Genius Bar in Sept. 2006.
Underwent renovations May 10-21, 2009 to remove front POS, Corian display tables and black-painted shelving, and to install current-version furnishings.
- The Street at Southpoint - Durham, NC - (March 9) - store located in the outdoor expansion area of the indoor mall; unusual two-tone, red-brick storefront. Simon and Kieran first in line. Grand opening T-shirt sold Aug. 1, 2004 for a record-setting $200 on eBay.
Close April 12-24, 2009 for renovation.
- Biltmore (Fashion Park) - Phoenix, AZ - (March 30) - uncovered mall, Dan and Jessica (Denver) were FIL at 6 a.m. In July, 2008 construction next door raised speculation of an expansion, with a re-openign date of Sept. 6th.
- Lenox Square - Atlanta, GA - (May 11) - indoor mall with 200 shops with 1.4 million square-feet of retail space. The mall is lated for a 35,000 s.f. expansion consisting of a second level, to open in the Fall 2007. Apple will reportedly occupy some of that space with a two-level store. Renovated in March-June, 2007.
- Short Hills - Short Hills, NJ - (June 22) - indoor mall. "Creative" job position appeared for the store on Aug. 29, 2004, indicating the store will eventually have a "Studio" bar. Store closed Oct. 29 - Nov. 16, 2007 for a complete update and floor plan change that included eliminate cashwrap, moving Genius Bar to rear, removing wood floor and replacing with stone, and doing a V2.0 interior conversion. [reopening photos]
- SoHo - New York, NY - (July 18) - flagship, free standing, 2-story, glass staircase and bridge, skylight, 46-seat theater,18,000 square feet. Opening manager was Steve Cano, who went on to manage several other stores and later became Sr. Dir. of International Retail. Followed by manager Paul Fradin. Celebrated its two millionth visitor at 4:30 p.m. on Aug. 6, 2004, and its 5 millionth visitor on April 25, 2006 at 11:30 a.m. Has the only Genius Bar open from 6 a.m. to midnight. The theater was closed From Feb. 21 through April 21, 2006 to, "make it bigger and better than ever." [pre-open story & photo] [Steve & Ron Johnson at opening] [building permits] [architect's comments] [design & construction team] [2 millionth visitor]
- Roosevelt Field - Garden City, NY - (July 20) - indoor mall. In June 2009 tipsters confirmed a scheduled to move into Restoration Hardware space on the ground floor, more than doubling the square-footage. Timeline not clear. updated
- The Grove - Los Angeles, CA - (July 26) - high-profile store, main-street mall, 2-story, dramatic glass staircase. Remodeled May-July 2004 to convert floor from wood to stone, furniture to wood, expand rear ground floor, change to theater seats upstairs, and reconfigure some sections. [before opening] [Deb's grand opening photos] [Apple photos] [Japan photos] [remodel 2004] [remodel #1 finished] [remodel #2, Oct. 2006] [remodel #2 finished]
- Wellington Green - Wellington, FL -(Aug. 17) - indoor mall. Closed for renovation June 1-25, 2009.
- Twelve Oaks - Novi, MI - (Aug. 31) - indoor mall
- Mayfair - Wauwatosa, WI - (Aug. 31) - indoor mall [photos]
- The Westchester - White Plains, NY - (Sept. 7) - indoor mall. In April 2005 construction began to create a much larger 45-foot store, by taking over the adjacent KB Toys and Body Shop spaces, and then closing the current store. The larger store will include a double-sized Genius Bar and a new Studio bar. Larger store opened July 16, 2005. Apple announced the move only through e-mail to local Mac users. Renovation scheduled for April 27-May 9, 2009.
- West County - Des Peres, MO - (Sept. 21) - indoor mall (photo by Dane)
- Houston Galleria - Houston, TX - (Sept. 21) - indoor mall. Store renovated in March-June, 2007.
- Towson Town Center - Towson, MD - (Oct. 5) - indoor mall, store is on the 4th level, near Nordstrom's and next to Sharper Image.
- Somerset - Troy, MI - (Oct. 12) - indoor mall with 1.3 million s.f. and 180 shops located in an affluent north suburb of Detroit. Store on second level was 3,290 s.f., but enlarged in summer 2006 to 4,843 s.f. Closed March 3, 2007 for construction, then re-opened March 10th as a mini-store while stone floor, wood tables and stainless steel walls are installed. Re-opens June 2, 2007. [video] [remodel photos]
- Millenia - Orlando, FL - (Oct. 19) - indoor mall. Reduced to "mini-store" in early March, 2007 to allow for renovation.
- Keystone (at the Crossing) - Indianapolis, IN - (Nov. 2) - indoor mall, narrow. Reportedly has the smallest back-of-office space in the chain. [photo]
- Southdale - Edina, MN - (Nov. 2) - indoor mall southwest of Minneapolis. An unlikely city for a store, but it's Sr. V-P Retail Ron Johnson's home town.
- Fashion Show - Las Vegas, NV - (Nov. 2) - indoor mall. Renovated June 15 to July 9, 2009. updated
- Menlo Park - Edison, NJ - (Nov. 9) - indoor mall. Closed June 1-25, 2009 for a major renovation, including removing wood floors and glass partitions, and relocate side-mounted Genius Bar.
- King of Prussia - King of Prussia, PA - (Nov. 9) - indoor mall. Closed Oct. 2007 for renovation. [photos]
- Cherry Creek - Denver, CO - (Nov. 23) - indoor mall, full-size.
- Bay Street - Emeryville, CA - (Nov. 23) - main-street mall, narrow. Apple built new store in identically-sized space to the right of the existing store, then from Oct. 1-3, 2007 moved operations to that new V2.0 store. Devin was first-in-line at grand opening 3:30 p.m. Friday. [2007 expansion photo] [opening video]
- Oakbrook - Oak Brook, IL - (Nov. 29) - outdoor mall, Mike was first-in-line. Scheduled to be closed Oct. 22 - Nov. 9, 2007 for renovation and floor plan change.
- Colorado Blvd. - Pasadena, CA - (Jan. 7) - free standing, historic building that retained the original façade. [photos] [photo 2006]
- Knox Street - Highland Park, TX - (Jan. 25) - downtown, free standing [photos] [justine.tv thrown out of store video]
- Walt Whitman (Mall) - Huntington Station, NY - (May 10) - indoor mall. Closed June 29 to July 23, 2009 for major renovation. updated
- Bellevue Square - Bellevue, WA - (May 10) - indoor mall, 4,600 square feet [photos]
- Arden Fair - Sacramento, CA - (May 17) - indoor mall, 3,600 square feet previously occupied by the jeweler Bailey, Banks & Biddle.
- Ala Moana (Center) - Honolulu, HI - (May 17) - uncovered mall, 4,600 square foot store. Closed Nov. 5-9, 2007 for floorplan renovation. [photos]
- Chestnut Hill - Chestnut Hill, MA - (June 14) - indoor mall. Closed June 10-15, 2007 for floor plan change.
- North Michigan Avenue - Chicago, IL - (June 27) - flagship - A free standing 24,000 s.f. store on a city street, with a lot size of 110' wide and 142' deep. The 3-story design includes a glass staircase, skylight, a 2,400 s.f. rooftop garden by GreenGrid (not grass, but rather the stonecrop Sedum kamtschaticum). For several years it was the highest-trafficked store in the chain, with 30,000 weekly visitors. The building includes a 2-story retail space at the front, and a 3rd-story training facility at the rear, with a podium, rear projection screen and kitchen. The garden is planted with bright-green ground cover within plastic holders instead of dirt. Installed 12-foot Studio Bar in early 2005, and it was later expanded to 45-feet. Changed theater seats from red fabric to black in Aug. 2005. [photos] [photos] [construction details] [design award] [cute photo] [Feb. 2006 photos]
- Boca Raton - Boca Raton, FL - (July 4) - indoor mall. Closed Nov. 5-16, 2007 for renovation.
- Third Street Promenade - Santa Monica, CA - (July 11) - main-street public pedestrian mall, wide. In June, 2008 reports surfaced of a major renovation, including closing the store for one year, moving employees to other stores, and enlarging the store substantially. [movie]
- South Main Street - Walnut Creek, CA - (July 12) - downtown, free standing on a city street, wide. Thomas was FIL at 9 a.m. Fri. [grand opening report] [video]
- Burlingame Avenue - Burlingame, CA - (July 26) - downtown, free standing city street, wide. Devin was FIL at 8:30 a.m. Friday. Closed Aug. 7-10, 2007 for floor plan change. [grand opening report] [opening video]
- Short Pump Town Center - Richmond, VA - (Sept. 4) - open-air mall, Jeff & David were FIL at 7 a.m. in a light rain. Closed June 1-11, 2009 for renovation.
- University Village - Seattle, WA - (Sept. 26) - open-air mall. Architect: Bohlin Cywinski Jackson. Opened 6 p.m. on September 26, 2003 in space formerly occupied by Fiorini Sports; Mary Ann was FIL at 7 a.m. Scheduled to be closed Oct. 22 - Nov. 9, 2007 for renovation, but pushed back for Leopard released. In August, 2008 the store was down-sized during construction of a mezzanine level. Store closed again Oct. 6-24, 2008 for final work before opening the mezzanine. [photos] [story]
- Legacy Village, - Lyndhurst, OH - (Oct. 24) - new mall. Closed July 30-Aug. 10, 2007 for renovation and floor plan change. [photos] [after renovation]
- University Town Center - San Diego, CA - (Oct. 24) - Closed May 14-18, 2007 for floor plan change.
- (The Promenade at) Sagemore - Marlton, NJ - (Nov. 1) - new open-air mall, 300-400 in line at 10 a.m. for grand opening
- Corte Madera - Corte Madera, CA - (Nov. 1) - open-air mall, narrow.
- Old Orchard (Shopping Center) - Skokie, IL - (Nov. 7) - open-air mall
- Washington Square - Tigard, OR - (Nov. 15) - indoor mall, narrow. First in the state; Merritt and Ken were FIL at 6:30 a.m. Renovated to remove rear cashwrap, move Genius Bar (?? date). Renovation scheduled for April 27-May 9, 2009. [photos] [photos & video] [photos & video]
- Ginza - high-profile - Tokyo (Japan) - (Nov. 30) - street-level store in Tokyo's major shopping district. Devin was FIL at 6 a.m. Saturday. [grand opening]
- North Point (Mall) - Alpharetta, GA - (Dec. 6) - indoor mall. Apple reportedly paid $1 million to renovate the mall space. Opening delayed, and stone flooring diverted to Ginza (Tokyo) store. [Vortech's photos]
Find detailed store information here: 2004-2006 / 2007 / 2008