Aircrack-ng
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 04, 2009, 04:11:32 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Read forum rules, "Read this before posting". Post that do not respect them will be trashed.
27578 Posts in 4600 Topics by 10706 Members
Latest Member: ololiveira
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Aircrack-ng
|-+  Members only
| |-+  Help
| | |-+  Airmon-ng arpreplay functions freeze with rt2x00 & rt2570 1.4.0 (wusb54g)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Airmon-ng arpreplay functions freeze with rt2x00 & rt2570 1.4.0 (wusb54g)  (Read 3792 times)
cormega

Airmon-ng arpreplay functions freeze with rt2x00 & rt2570 1.4.0 (wusb54g)
« on: December 08, 2006, 02:16:30 am »

first of, I have posted in 2 other treads about this matter but i noticed that both of them had been unanswered for a while so I thought I might have a better chance of getting a reply if I make a brand new thread with a nice description in the subject :p

the other posts are :
http://tinyshell.be/aircrackng/forum/index.php?topic=233.0
and
http://tinyshell.be/aircrackng/forum/index.php?topic=634.0

if you read these, you can se that the problem i am having is that aireplay-ng goes to a freeze after trying the arpreplay function for a short while, it usually happens after 1-2 minutes before it gets any real work done at all

at first i thought it only was the arpreplay attack, but after trying some more it seems that the --interactive switch causes a freeze to, deauth attacks works fine and i have not had the chance to try fakeauth or chopchop yet, i will make another post when i have some info on how these behave.

The card I am using is a Linksys WUSB54G with the ralink chipset. first i thought it might be something with the rt2570 ver 1.4.0 driver which made it freeze so i tried the new rt2x00 driver but i am still getting the same results.
Have tried both drivers in ubuntu and backtrack 2 beta with the same results and i am running out of ideas here. will try the rt2570 1.4.9 driver after posting this but i don't have any expectations since that driver most likely is more unstable and crashes more than its predecessor since this is still a beta driver.

please make any suggestions which might work - i'll try them as soon as i notice any posts here and will also give full feedback on the outcome of any attempts to make this work. i have noticed some other people with similar problems on this board but i don't think enough people have had the problem and posted it here so there aren't any useful suggestions available yet because the issue hasn't gotten that much attention ... YET Smiley

well, I'll try the 1.4.9 driver version now, and if it works i'll probably post here immediately but if it doesen't i'll post again tomorrow.. its late here now and i am tired so another dissapointment will probably convince me to go to bed at once and try again tomorrow Smiley
cormega

Re: Airmon-ng arpreplay functions freeze with rt2x00 & rt2570 1.4.0 (wusb54g)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 02:35:06 am »

well... the newest rt2570 driver 1.4.9 from (http://homepages.tu-darmstadt.de/~p_larbig/wlan/) just made aireplay crash even faster than before .. but i just read at linuxquestions.org that the rt2400 driver is incompatible with the dual core kernel in ubuntu . and since i have a core 2 duo processor and i'm running the ubuntu 6.10 edgy with the generic (dual core support) kernel maybe this affects the rt2570 too ? i had the same problem in BT2 as well but i think they have added dual core compatibility there too.. this is a long shot though . but i'll install a single core kernel tomorrow and see if that has any effect
cormega

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 05:50:02 pm »

tried with the old aircrack suite today.. same results...
ASPj
Global Moderator

ASPj is GOD!

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 12:56:56 pm »

try disabling Legacy USB support in your BIOS

use a non-SMP kernel
jeroenimo

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 06:52:24 pm »

I can confirm this matter , but I can give my two cents..

I use BackTrack on my MacBook pro in a virtual machine and I have used Parallels (great stuff by the way ) It has worked quite well exept that when I would reinject at high speed on a network I would only get like 100 IV's per second and after a while what would happend is that the WUSB54g would lock up and not show any networks in airodump-ng.

I have tried several things to find out what the issue was , tried booting from the CD on my Macbook pro and the exact same thing happened when I reninjected at a higher rate as 100 p/s in aireplay-ng

So I installed ubuntu slackware debian(both SMP and no SMP wich does not apear to be the problem in my case) and all had the same problem in Parallels. So I figured its either a driver problem or something goed wrong with my USB support. Both in a virtual machine and native booted I had troubles with the wusb54g locking up

Now there is an alternative for Parallels and that is VMware Fusion(new beta for download available) wich has full USB 2.0 support and after I installed BackTrack in a VM in VMware and updated to the 1.4.9 specially prepared ASPj driver. I haven't seen a lock up since and when I reinject at 500 p/s I get much higher arp replies (thus capturing much more IV')

My two cents: the locking up has to do with a USB and not the driver ... thus disable USB legacy support makes a huge difference (ASPj's solution)
cormega

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 01:30:44 pm »

hey, great to know that there are more people struggeling... I'll try the new VMWare sometime this week but it would be great to have aircrack up & running as intended without having to install another linux on a vmWare image...

is there any way to disable USB legacy support in linux ? i know it probably is , but how  Smiley
cormega

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2006, 01:32:16 pm »

try disabling Legacy USB support in your BIOS

use a non-SMP kernel

aha, I will check my BIOS now Smiley - sorry i did not read this post before i answered to the one by jeroenimo
joyz

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 04:34:10 pm »

did u finally resolve this issue?

I have the same problem with the same Linksys WUSB54G v4
Even disabling legacy support in bios.

I tried on a centrino 2 duo, on a pentium 4 and finally on pentium 3.
It freeze after a minute and stops getting autorization and injecting packets

I use backtrack 2.0 i think it has the latest version of driver...
Something to do?

P.s. sorry for my english Cheesy
cormega

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 02:41:51 pm »

I never resolved the problem completely, unfortunately I recently wrecked my WUSB54g v4 while soldering on an external antenna so I'll have to wait until I get a new one before I get a chance to try more fixes, but the latest TRAC release of aircrack helped me run airmon-ng for a much longer time until it finally freezed, even though it sometimes froze after only 10 sec usage as well.
simvirus

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 11:37:08 am »

did u finally resolve this issue?

I have the same problem with the same Linksys WUSB54G v4

Hi! I have the some problem with WUSB54G v4 and Dlink DWL-G122 B1

Undecided

Is there a solution?
ASPj
Global Moderator

ASPj is GOD!

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 07:54:16 pm »

Nope, it works fine on my machine.

Just the usual things to care about:

- Disable USB Legacy support in BIOS
- Use the newest kernel yuo can get
- Do NOT use the SMP version of this kernel (You will get a warning about this when compiling the driver)
- Use the newest 1.5.1 driver
- If the hardware totally loses its function: Use the oven method to get it back to live: http://tinyshell.be/aircrackng/forum/index.php?topic=233.msg6371#msg6371
raksen

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 07:17:55 pm »

I have the same problem right now. I am able to get about 30000 packets before rausb0 freezes. Has it something to do with wusb54g hardware or your computer hardware? What do you think?

ASPj: what you say about the hardware totally losing its function: can that happen to my wusb54g or is it only a dwl-g122 matter? I ask this because then it seems that we are forcing too much our adapter's hardware, and i thought before that the problem about hanging rausb0 was a software problem. Can you explain it to me?
ASPj
Global Moderator

ASPj is GOD!

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 02:10:02 am »

Hardware failure is a DWL-G122 problem.

But the current rt2570 has some problems with threading, and when the buffers of the card get full (too much packets coming in and are about to be injected) they aren't always handled properly.
This is a general design problem of the code. And these failures are very hard to be tracked. Plus, the rt2570 legacy driver isn't actively being brought forward anymore.

So, if these problems occur, try to lower the injection rate.
I was trying some Atheros based card few days ago, and they seem to have similar problems there.

Well, injection doesn't wait for ACKs, it just sends. This is not intended to happen in the original design, and these drivers are only more or less dirty hacks. So don't expect them to work rock stable.
raksen

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 01:28:57 pm »

Thanks ASPj for the explanation

TuTuFF

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 01:41:27 pm »

Clearly there is some sort of issue here as I have exactly the same problem with a dualcore processor running kernel 2.6.17-11.  It is however an SMP kernel but of course in order to utilise my processor I need that.  Some months ago the idea of using a non-SMP kernel may have been practical, but nowadays with the prevalence of 64Bit computing and the preponderence of dualcore processors (Intel and AMD) it is pretty much a requirement and one that will continue to grow as time passes.

My problems have been based around Alfa (RTL8187) and also a RaLink (RT73) wifi devices which would seem to indicate that the issue is not isolated to just a specificcard chipset. I detailed my issues seperately in :
http://tinyshell.be/aircrackng/forum/index.php?topic=1596.0

As can be perceived from that post I had (erronesouly now it seems) presumed that my problem was isolated and it was my system/myself to blame.  The increasing reports of these freezes (and now with different cards/systems) seems to indicate that there is more of an underlying issue.

Any assistance would be welcomed by all concerned I`m sure!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: