Go to Otherpower.com Home Page Go to Forcefield Shopping Cart Go to Wondermagnet.com Home Page
Front Page - [Homebrewed Electricity-- (wind) (solar) (hydro) (steam) (controls) (storage) (mechanical)] - Classifieds - Site News
Everything - Newbies - [Remote Living-- (housing) (heat) (light) (water)] - Reviews - Diaries - Our Products
more axial flux listeroid experiments


By electronbaby, Section Homebrewed Electricity
Posted on Tue Apr 15, 2008 at 07:55:05 PM MST
3500W from listeroid

Well a while back I posted about my new 48v system upgrade. http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2008/3/12/32236/4074

This has been great and Im loving it so far. I love the versatility of the Outback equipment as I tend to do weird things and really put things to the test. I basically ripped out the whole system and started over. It was due.

Well, to get on with the story, I had to reconfigure all the charge controllers for 48v (easy, just reprogram) and I ran into a snag with my back up listeroid alternator. http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2008/1/2/231538/0408

When I did such a nice job mounting all the new equipment, I wanted to do the same for the lister rectifier and filter caps. So I built a nice box full of goodies. It held 2 100v filter caps @ 9400uF for the lister and also two 3 phase bridge rectifiers (commercially available discrete component type, made by IR). These are rated for 60A each and one would be used for the axial flux listeroid and the other would be used for a new axial flux turbine Im building for 48v.




This is one of the rectifiers mounted to the inside of the steel box. Each one is bolted to a heat sink that hangs off the exterior of the box.



Here is a view of the box. Pretty sloppy. I had the whole thing ripped apart after it was finished. I was having serious problems with harmonics and voltage problems from the lister. I thought it had to do with the fact I moved up to 48v and the original stator I made was not producing a VOC in the right range for the MX to sweep happily (it used to be fine when I was bucking down to 24v). So I thought oh well, Ill make a new stator for 110vdc and try it that way, after all it would hopefully fix the problem and make things slightly MORE efficient. I also thought I had some bad caps and a bad Airpax DC breaker. I really didnt think all these things were bad and I knew there was something simple that was wrong.

Well, today I was messing with it and I think I solved the problem. I had a bad connection (high resistance) on the 3 phase bridge (possibly internal- it went away when the wire was wiggled). I guess I was unevenly loading the stator, getting bad harmonics caused by high ripple coming through on the DC side. This led to other weird things, like making my 60A breakers trip out at 25A due to high ripple. Well after pulling my hair out and troubleshooting everything, it seems to be fixed and working great. I just have to possibly replace the lister bridge with a higher current rated device because when I was test firing it, I was exceeding the rating.
 


Thats right, Im now pulling 3500W out of my lister . It bounces around slightly and it was hard to take a pic with 3500w on the display. Im impressed. I think Ill keep things where they are and maybe turn the MX current down a bit. It also would be nice to to some temp measurements on the stator with it running this much power out.

more axial flux listeroid experiments | 4 comments (4 topical)

Re: more axial flux listeroid experiments (3.00 / 0) (#1)
by DanB on Tue Apr 15, 2008 at 03:27:15 PM MST

Good job!  That makes more sense to me than your last effort.. and if I recall your alternator is slightly larger than mine.  I had considered building a larger one but my battery bank is small enough that anything over 2kW coming in is not very useful usually.



Re: more axial flux listeroid experiments (3.00 / 0) (#2)
by electronbaby on Tue Apr 15, 2008 at 04:08:24 PM MST

I dont think Ill ever run it this high an output, but its nice to know its there if I need it. :-)

What capacity bank are you running? I think it was one of those lift truck batteries?

also whats your airgap set at on your listeroid? I was just curious. I decreased mine slightly when I was running some experiments but I might be putting it back the way it was. Its nice to have the air flow around the stator. At this high an RPM, the windage off the rotors helps alot I would think with stator cooling.
Have Fun!! RoyR KB2UHF
[ Parent ]



Re: more axial flux listeroid experiments (3.00 / 0) (#3)
by snowcrow on Wed Apr 16, 2008 at 03:49:30 AM MST

 Very nice :>  It would be interesting to see how the stator holds up to that kind of output over a long period of time.

Blessings, Snow Crow



Re: more axial flux listeroid experiments (3.00 / 0) (#4)
by bob g on Wed Apr 16, 2008 at 06:01:51 PM MST

i would expect that stator to last as long as the engine, which is likely a very
long time.

at about 20amps per phase, it ain't much in the way of heat to dissipate?

looking forward to your 120volt stator

bob g



more axial flux listeroid experiments | 4 comments (4 topical)
Display: Sort:
Menu
create account
How to use the board
FAQs
search the board
Google search the board

Login
Make a new account
Username:
Password:

Total Views
��183 Scoop users have viewed this posting.

Related Links
http://www .fieldlines.com/story/2008/3/12/32236/4074
http://www .fieldlines.com/story/2008/1/2/231538/0408
Also by electronbaby

Powered by Scoop
You must be a registered user to post here. It's easy and free, and the link is on the upper right side of your page.
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective companies. Postings are owned by the poster, but may be deleted or moved at the ADMIN's sole discretion. The Rest � 2009 Forcefield.
You can Email the board ADMIN here. PLEASE include the username you signed up with!