Northgate Ward


Local Suburbs;

Banyo and Nudgee
Northgate and Virginia
Nundah and Toombul
Wavell Hts and Kedron
Nudgee Beach

Local Issues;

Latest News
Northgate Ward
Current Issues
Things to Do
Local History

Local Contacts:

Community Contacts
Brisbane City Council
State/Federal Members

Kim Flesser

Brisbane City Council

Diggers Drive, Kalinga Park.


Heritage Trail Home Page

A section of what is now known as Kalinga Park was known as Anzac Memorial Park for a time after World War I.  A bridge known as Chinaman's Bridge spanned Kedron Brook between Anzac Memorial Park and Chinese market gardens on the Toombul side that were owned by a Chinese man named Charley.

Kalinga Park was officially opened by Mr A L Petrie, Member for Toombul, on Saturday 3 September 1910.  The word Kalinga derives from the aboriginal word Ngalin-nga, meaning `belonging to us'.  The park had already received improvements including levelling and clearing, erection of a pavilion, and the laying down of a cricket pitch.  The event was organised by four local sports clubs - St Colomb's Cricket Club, Kalinga Lacrosse Club, St Colomb's Lawn Tennis Club and the Gymnastics Club.

In 1911, land within Eagle Junction to the south of Kalinga Park was subdivided and described as beautiful sites and blocks, from 16 perches to 73/4 acres between the railway station and Kalinga Park Recreation Reserve.

On 23 October 1920, the `Soldiers Honour Gates' were opened by Brigadier-General L C Wilson, CB, CMG, DSO as a witness and everlasting remembrance of the patriotic services and sacrifices of the men who enlisted from the Kalinga district and fought for their country in the Great War.

Kalinga Park passed from the old Toombul Shire to Council upon formation of Brisbane City Council in 1925.

Diggers Drive was opened on 31 May in 1924 by Sir Matthew Nathan, Governor of Queensland, as a memorial to the district soldiers who fell during World War I.  Returned and unemployed soldiers were given work to construct and plant the drive.  During World War 2, an army staging camp was located in Kalinga Park in the vicinity of Bertha Street.

The Kalinga Scout Group formed in 1934 and initially met in an old cow shed in Kalinga Street next to Kalinga Park.  During World War II the group transferred to the Clayfield Group, although reforming in 1943. 

During the late 1960's considerable improvement work was undertaken within Kalinga Park including ash filling, soiling, and top dressing of playing fields with five football and two cricket fields constructed with the intention of bringing to international standard.

Council granted a seven-year lease of two tennis courts in Kalinga Park from 1 April 1965 to Scots Presbyterian Church Fellowship Association.

The Kalinga Park Tennis Club was granted a twelve month tenancy over two tennis courts in the vicinity of the roadway in Kalinga Park adjacent Park Avenue entry from 1 September 1973. 

Council granted a lease to Queensland Public Service Rugby League for twenty years from 1 May 1973.  The League consisted of seventeen individual clubs fielding a total of twenty teams.  Lights were erected and a clubhouse constructed.  State Government testing of Nash Oval in 1989 revealed radioactive sand to be above acceptable levels with remediation required (this was completed in 1993).  The Leagues lease of Nash Oval was relinquished in the mid 1990's.  Council has since indicated that future use of the oval shall be limited to informal recreation activities.

The Miniature Race Car Club of Queensland received Council approval to hold a tenancy in part of Kalinga Park on the eastern side of the railway line to conduct annual championships.

The Brisbane Petanque Club was granted permission to use Kalinga Park for Sunday play in 1987. Petanque is a type of Boules or French Bowls using steel balls somewhat akin to the Italian game of Bocce.

Council granted approval in 1987 to the Enoggeroos Orienteering Club for construction of an orienteering course consisting of twenty-six pieces of wood beside particular permanent features in the park.  The development was subject to no interference with formal sporting activities, and no flora and fauna damage or destruction.

The annual Kalinga Karnival was established in 1990 and ran until 1998 with an international food, music and entertainment theme introduced at the 1996 carnival.

Contact Kim Flesser

Back to Nundah and Toombul