A 17-month-old Delhi toddler fatally attacked by his babysitter's pit bull on Friday has been identified as Colton Smith, according to Deputy Tom MacKenzie of the Merced Sheriff's Department.
On Friday morning the 65-pound dog attacked the boy while his babysitter was watching him.
When deputies finally caught up with the woman on her way to the hospital she told them the dog had bitten Colton's throat and dragged him around the yard. She rescued the baby after stabbing the dog repeatedly with a fork.
The boy was airlifted to Valley Children's Hospital in Madera, where he died soon after arrival.
The boy's body was returned to Merced for further investigation by the county coroner on Friday.
The identity of the babysitter will not be released until the Merced County District Attorney's office decides if criminal charges will be filed.
Here are the ground rules:
1. Be yourself. A nickname will be used for posts, but if an editor finds a user without a verifiable name , that user will be warned or banned.
2. Keep it clean. Foul language (defined by prime-time standards) will not be tolerated. Neither will the intentional misspelling of foul language or the use of non-English curse words.
3. Be truthful. Do not lie or link to sites that may be considered libelous, defamatory or false.
4. Be nice. Don't harass anyone. Don't threaten anyone. Don't use racial slurs. Don't post anything sexually explicit.
5. Be an individual. Do not advertise or solicit. Do not harvest any information for business use.
6. Be original. Do not post copyrighted material.
7. Follow the law. Don't do anything or post anything considered illegal by city, county, state or federal regulations and laws.
On most news stories, the commenting period is closed after three days. If you wish to continue a discussion, please use The Sunspot forum.