College is housed in buildings on the site of Fairy Hall, once
a 40 acre estate. This building dates from the mid-19th century.
It was used by the Royal Naval School from 1889 to 1911 and taken
over by the School for the Sons of Missionaries in 1912 to form
Marvels and Elmstead Woods
the stream next to the Sports Ground you can see three-spined
sticklebacks - but please do not disturb them. Elmstead Woods
is an area of oak and sweet chestnut coppice. Hornbeams, the hairy
woodrush and butterflies such as the comma can be found here.
The woods were originally part of the Bishop of Rochesters
estate and used to provide timber for ship building.
grounds of Sundridge Park, now laid out as two golf courses, is
a large mansion designed in 1795 by James Wyatt for the Scott
family. Sir Edward Scott was a friend of the then Prince of Wales
who often visited the house for pheasant shooting weekends. The
building is now used as a management centre.
end of the allotments to the right in Milk Street you can see
Halls Farm, an old farmhouse. This is a reminder of the farming
history of the area which goes back to at least 1500. The present
house dates from the early 19th century.
Sundridge Park Station
is the branch line from Grove Park to Bromley North, opened in
1878. The Scott family at Sundridge Park had a railway station
built at Plaistow Lane for their private use. The station was
eventually rebuilt and opened to the public as Sundridge Park
Station in 1896.
the left along Nichol Lane stands the Prince Frederick pub, originally
known as the Prince Fredericks Head. Formally an ale house
dating from at least 1761, it was rebuilt receiving a new frontage
in 1890. It is believed to be the only pub named after Poor
Fred, Prince of Wales (1707 - 1751), the eldest son of George
II, and father of George III. He was outlived by his father who,
on the Princes death, refused to pay his debts.
the interesting porchway, dating from 1874, which was originally
part of the doorway to the London School Board offices on the
Victoria Embankment . The offices were demolished in 1929 but
the porch was re-erected here in 1930.
name Chislehurst is derived from the Anglo-Saxon words ceosal
and hyrsk meaning gravel wood. Chislehurst
grew up as a scattered village centred around its various commons.
Surrounded by large country estates, it did not outgrow its hill
top site until mid-Victorian times. Prickend Pond at the northern
end of Chislehurst Common was a former gravel pit and
is fed by springs, of which there are many in the area.
A booklet, A
Walk Around Chislehurst, published by Bromley
Council is available at Bromley libraries and information points.
Walden Recreation Ground
Recreation Ground is named after Viscount Walden who became the
9th Marquis of Tweeddale in 1876. He was born in Yester, near
Edinburgh but came to live nearby. Whytes Woodland is believed
to refer to Robert Whyte who also lived nearby in the 19th century.
an area 1 - 10 for an overview of that section on the Green Chain