Telefónica O2 Ireland
Performance highlights for the full year to 31 December 2009
Access our full set of financial results for the full year to 31 December 2009.
- Telefónica O2 Ireland total revenues for the full year were €905 million – a decline of -5.5% year-on-year.
- Telefónica O2 Ireland total ARPU reached €39.6 (-8.3% year-on-year).
- OBIDA totaled €302 million – an increase of +0.3% year-on-year.
- Telefónica O2 Ireland increased the total mobile base to 1.7 million representing growth of 0.3% year-on-year.
- Total customer numbers reached 1.714 million (mobile).
Telefónica O2 Ireland operating review
Telefónica O2 Ireland business highlights
- While our company name is Telefónica O2 Ireland, we are known to our customers simply as O2.
- We are a leading provider of mobile services, offering communications solutions to over 1.7 million customers in Ireland. Headquartered in Dublin's Docklands, and with a Customer Care Centre in Limerick, O2 has a total workforce of over 1,300 employees.
- In 2006, O2 was named the best company to work for in Ireland. In 2008, O2 Customer Care was named Call Centre of the Year, and O2 was also named Best Retail Employer in Ireland.
- Telefónica O2 Ireland provides a number of market leading price plans. In January 2008, O2 announced the O2 Experience price plan - offering prepay customers the ability to send unlimited free texts to any other Irish mobile network at any time for life. O2 Clear, launched in April 2008, revolutionised the bill pay market in Ireland by allowing customers greater control over their contract length and how much they spend each month.
- In 2008, O2 announced that it was the exclusive Irish carrier for Apple's eagerly anticipated iPhone. All iPhone tariffs include anytime minutes, texts and a 1GB data bundle.
- In July 2008, O2 announced that it had negotiated Ireland's first ever music venue naming rights deal with Live Nation, one of the biggest live entertainment promoters in the world, at the redeveloped Point Theatre in Dublin's Docklands. With a capacity to hold up to 14,000 people, the new venue, called The O2, officially opened its doors on December 16th 2008.
- O2 customers can take their seat early with O2 priority tickets. Priority tickets go on sale up to 48 hours before general release, so O2 customers have the chance to buy tickets first. For more priority ticket news visit http://www.o2blueroom.ie/
- In August 2006, O2 announced a major multi-million Euro investment in its network. The project was completed in 2008 and in addition to delivering higher quality voice and data services, O2's next generation network has paved the way for the introduction of mobile broadband services, while also allowing us to develop new and competitive services. As part of the network investment, O2 now also has an EDGE network, which offers speeds 4 to 5 times faster than GPRS. This is a feature that is absolutely unique to O2 in the Irish marketplace.
- On 9 July 2007, O2 launched its mobile broadband service utilising HSDPA (High Speed Downlink Packet Access) technology. Since then the service has proved to be extremely popular with almost 100,000 customers now signed up. New developments have also been announced including a first-to-market upload service enabling customers to upload content at speeds significantly faster than other similar services in the market.
- Launched as part of O2 Clear in 2008, 'Spend alerts' an innovative text service alerts customers when they have reached a particular amount on their bill.
- O2 Ireland has launched a new SIM card back up service that allows customers to retrieve key contacts and numbers if they lose or damage their mobile phone. O2 is the first mobile provider to offer a SIM back up service of this kind in Ireland. With the new service, numbers which are stored on the SIM Card are backed up to a secure server on the O2 network and customers can then access this data on O2.ie through the "My O2" function.
- For further information regarding Telefónica O2 Ireland and our products and services, please visit: http://www.o2.ie/