image
No.
1056

Kansas City, Missouri

Built 1948 • Tribute livery

This car is painted in tribute to Kansas City, which ran PCC streetcars from 1941 to 1957. Kansas City's PCCs--184 in all--were painted to emphasize their modern lines, with a black 'swoosh' on the sides to highlight the logo of Kansas City Public Service Company (Frederic Remington's famed sculpture "The Scout" on a red heart).

Even with the PCCs, which replaced older streetcars, Kansas City's 25 streetcar lines dwindled to three that ceased service in 1957. One of the three was the famous 56-Country Club--known as the 'Club Line', which wound south from downtown on an old steam railroad right-of-way, sharing its tracks with electric freight trains.

1056-bill-storage-wharf.png

Kansas City streetcar no. 1056 at Fisherman's Wharf. Bill Storage photo.

Many of Kansas City's PCCs were later sold to other cities, including Toronto. Eleven of these came third-hand to Muni in 1970 and ran in San Francisco between 1973 and 1979, as Nos. 1180 to 1190, before being retired. Most were subsequently scrapped.

One ex-Kansas City streetcar that ran in San Francisco was sold to the Western Railway Museum in Solano County. It was later returned to Kansas City and is now on display at Union Station, signed for the 56-Country Club line, of course.

Of the 14 streetcars acquired by Muni from Philadelphia for initial F-line service, No. 1056 probably has the lowest mileage. That's because it was out of service for six years, from 2001 to 2007, following a major accident.


No. 1057 »  

  « No. 1055