Frequently Asked Questions

Print E-mail


Close All | Open All

The City is tracking when and where our residents are seeing coyotes. Please open a new service request below and be sure to indicate the time you saw the coyotes, how many of them you saw, and where you saw them.

Complaints about barking dogs are handled by Orange County Animal Care. You can obtain additional information or access a mail-in complaint form on-line or by calling Animal Care at (714) 935-6848.

Please contact the Orange County Vector Control District at (714) 971- 2421.

Gophers within the City's property will be abated by the City. Submit an on-line request, being sure to provide the exact location of the problem. Removing gophers located on private property is the responsibility of the property owner.

The City contracts with O.C. Animal Control for this service. They can be contacted at (714) 935-6848.


Close All | Open All

Yes. Additional fire-related construction requirements are in place in Wildland-Urban Interface Fire Areas, Very-High Fire Hazard Severity Zones, and Fuel Modification areas. The Orange County Fire Authority designates these areas within the City of Yorba Linda. 

Yes, but a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) would be required, which involves a public hearing and review by the Planning Commission. If approved, the applicant will then have to obtain proper building permits from the Building Department. Please contact the Planning Department at (714) 961-7130 for more information. 

Generally, you need to obtain a permit to construct or install a barbeque if it or the counter in which it is installed is over three feet high and/or within four feet of property lines, structures or their overhangs, overhead combustible material, and are fueled with natural petroleum gas. Barbeques must be installed per the manufacturer's installation instructions that bear that listing agencies logo. Typically, those instructions state the barbeque is not allowed to be installed under combustible construction. Owners can install a barbeque under combustible construction when a hood is provided. Residential hoods are not acceptable construction over barbeques that are installed under combustible construction. Therefore, custom hoods must be designed and detailed by a California State registered engineer, the plans must be approved by the City, a mechanical permit is required, and the construction must be inspected in the field by a city inspector. 

As long as the addition meets all the setback and lot coverage requirements, a single-story addition is an over-the-counter approval process for the Planning Department. The applicant will then have to obtain proper building permits from the Building Department. 

Typically no, since those are civil matters between you and those you have hired. However, should the engineer of record change, any plans, calculations, and construction observations will need to be addressed with the City prior to proceeding with a project. Should revisions occur to the approved plans after an architect or engineer is fired, a new licensed professional is required to take over responsibility for the entire project. Change of a contractor can be addressed by obtaining a new building permit that indicates the new contractor's information. 

Yes, if all the zoning criteria and building standards are met. Please contact the Planning Department at (714) 961-7130 for more information. 

If you believe construction work is being done without a building permit, please call the Building Division at (714) 961-7120. We will send a City building inspector to the site to investigate and take whatever action is appropriate, if any. 

The amount of time needed to review and approve a building plan depends on the type of project. Review and approval for typical garden walls, retaining walls, patio covers, and window replacement can occur over the counter. Swimming pool plan review typically takes two to three days. Review of plans for small single family and tenant improvement additions and alterations takes approximately two weeks. For construction of new single-family homes and commercial buildings, the process takes approximately four to six weeks. The time necessary to review special or unique designs depends on the complexity of the project. 

New buildings require two sets of plans. Copies of approved simple detail plans for garden walls, retaining walls, patio covers, and other common projects are available at City Hall. 

All new construction projects on unimproved property and any addition and/or improvement with a valuation exceeding 50% of the existing structure's valuation (not including land value) will require that street improvements be made. 

If you make changes after a portion of your project has been inspected, you must submit revised plans and have the construction re-inspected. 

A Waste Management Plan is an estimate of the amount of water material that will be recycled from a construction project. Most construction projects require that a waste management plan be filed. Projects that are exempt from filing a Waste Management Plan include appliance replacements, window replacements, simple wood-framed patio covers, and small projects where the amount of waste generated will fit in the property owner's trash can. 

That depends on the type and location of the project, but might include some or all of the following; Planning Division, Engineering Division, Yorba Linda Water District, Placentia/Yorba Linda School District, Department of Oil, Gas and Geothermal Resources, Orange County Fire Authority, Orange County Health Department, Orange County Sanitation District, and the Yorba Linda Disposal Company. 

All new buildings must be connected to the sewer system un the project is over 200 feet from the sewer main line (as confirmed in writing by the Yorba Linda Water District). 

All new buildings typically require preparation of a soil report. Additions to a building beyond the existing footprint of a building may require a soil report. Interior alterations typically do not require a soil report. 

An asbestos evaluation report is required when a project includes demolition work. For further information, click here to access the website of the South Coast Air Quality Management District.


Close All | Open All

No. You can obtain information about filing for a fictitious business name by clicking here or calling the Orange County Clerk - Recorder's office at (714) 834-2500

The fees are based on type of business, and are pro-rated on a quarterly basis. Click here to see a list of the current fee schedule. 

All persons or companies conducting business within the City of Yorba Linda are required to obtain a business license. This includes home-based businesses as well as companies whose offices are located outside the City. 


Close All | Open All

Links to Election information in various languages can be found by clicking here. 

Read More ...

Any registered voter is eligible to vote by mail, but you must request a ballot application no later than seven days prior to the election. Applications may be obtained from the Yorba Linda City Clerk's Office by caling (714) 961-7150 or the Orange County Registrar of Voter's Office at (714) 567-7600. You can also download the application from the County of Orange's website. The sample ballot you receive in the mail will also contain a Vote-By-Mail Ballot application, and many candidates now mail applications to voters as well. If your application is approved, you will receive a ballot in the mail. The completed ballot must be received at the Orange County Registrar of Voter's Office by Election Day in order to be counted. You can mail it in, or return it to any polling place on Election Day. Applications are only approved for vote by mail voting for the current election period. However, voters can request permanent vote-by-mail status. If you are approved for this status, you must vote in all primary and general elections held in your area. Failure to do so relinquishes permanent vote-by-mail status. 

Read More ...

You can register to vote by picking up a registration form at a number of places, including the Yorba Linda City Hall, the Yorba Linda Public Library, the Department of Motor Vehicles, and the United States Post Office. You can also download the registration form over the Internet by logging onto the County's website, the Secretary of State's website, or the Federal Election Assistance Commission's website. You may also obtain a registration form by calling (800) 345-VOTE or the Yorba Linda City Clerk's Office at (714) 961-7150. Remember you will need to re-register to vote if you have moved, or if your name or party affiliation has changed. 

Read More ...

Any United States citizen may run for Yorba Linda City Council as long as he or she is registered to vote in Yorba Linda. Council Members are elected for terms of four years and are limited to three terms. Required forms include, but are not limited to, the following: Nomination Petition (which must be signed by at least 20, but not more than 30, valid registered Yorba Linda voters); Conflict of Interest Disclosure Statement; and Campaign Finance Disclosure Statement. All necessary forms are available from the Yorba Linda City Clerk on the opening date of the nomination period (113 days prior to the municipal election). For more specific qualifications and filing deadlines, persons interested in becoming candidates should contact the Yorba Linda City Clerk's Department by calling (714) 961-7150 or by visiting City Hall during regular business hours. 

Read More ...

Elections for Yorba Linda City Council Members are held on the first Tuesday of November (after the first Monday) in all even-numbered years. For additional information about local, state, and federal elections, visit the City's website by clicking here. 

Read More ...

The City of Yorba Linda contracts with the Orange County Registrar of Voters for selection of polling places and workers. Every effort is made to maintain consistent polling sites for each area, however, polling places may vary from election to election. Registered voters will receive a sample ballot a few weeks before the election that will provide the polling place location, date, and time. Polls will be open from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. on election day. If you are unsure of when and where you vote, log onto the County's web site here or call the Yorba Linda City Clerk's Office at (714) 961-7150. 

Read More ...


Close All | Open All

Applications for employment with the City of Yorba Linda can be picked up in person at City Hall located at 4845 Casa Loma Avenue, or you can download a PDF version of the application by clicking here to visit the "City Employment Opportunities" page on the City's website

Information about current job openings with the City can be obtained by calling the recorded City Job Line at (714) 961-7107 or clicking here to visit the City's website listing of current employment opportunities.


City Council & Commissions:

Close All | Open All

Yes. Click here to access agendas and minutes from City Council  and each of the commissions.

Each of the city council members arranges his or her schedule individually. If you like, you can leave a message for them by calling the City's Administrative office at (714) 961-7110 or send them an e-mail by clicking here.

The Planning Commission meets on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month starting at 7:00 p.m. in the City Council Chamber at City Hall. You can view Commission agendas and minutes on-line by clicking here

City Council meetings are held on the first and third Tuesdays of each month. Click here for additional information about City Council meetings. 


Close All | Open All

You can view the Municipal Code and Zoning Code on-line by clicking here. Hard copies of the Codes can also be viewed at the Yorba Linda Public Library (18181 Imperial Highway) or the City Clerk's Department at City Hall (4845 Casa Loma Avenue). Copies of individual codes can be obtained from the City Clerk at a cost of thirty-five cents for the first page and five cents for each additional page. 

No. Information about obtaining a marriage license can be obtained from the County Clerk's office by clicking here or calling (714) 834-3005. 

Requests to obtain publicly available City records are handled by the City Clerk. You can either call the City Clerk's Department at (714) 961-7150 or submit your request in writing to the City Clerk at City of Yorba Linda, 4845 Casa Loma Avenue, PO Box 87014, Yorba Linda, CA 92885. 

No. Information about obtaining a copy of birth certificates can be obtained from the County Clerk's office by clicking here or calling (714) 834-3005. 

Permits :

Close All | Open All

Applications to request a Noise Permit are available through the City Clerk's office. You can either call the City Clerk's Department at (714) 961-7150 or pick one up in person from the City Clerk at City Hall, 4845 Casa Loma Avenue. Applications take approximately two weeks to process after the application has been submitted for review. The applicant must be the owner of the property referred to in the application. Applicants must agree to the terms and conditions of City of Yorba Linda Municipal Code Section 8.32.170. 

The City issues temporary parking permits for use on streets with restricted parking. To have a permit issued, please call the City's Traffic Division at (714) 961-7170.

Film permits are obtained through the City's Management Analyst, who can be reached by calling (714) 961-7106.


Close All | Open All

Yes, you can view the budget on-line by clicking here or see a printed copy by visiting the Finance department at City Hall.

State Law requires that audited financial statements be presented to the City Council and Agency Board within six months after the close of each fiscal year, which runs from July 1 through June 30. The current audited financial statements for the City can be viewed by clicking here and the Redevelopment Agency's statement can be viewed by clicking here

The City adopts a 2-year budget by June 30 of each odd-numbered year. The process to prepre and review the budget typically begins several months before that. 

All W-2 forms generated by the City are prepared by January 31st of each year. 

Checks are generated twice a month after being sent to City Council for approval at their regular meetings. The council typically meets on the first and third Tuesdays of each month. 

All 1099 forms generated by the City of Yorba Linda are mailed no later than January 31st of each year. 


Close All | Open All

Information about the process for filing a claim can be obtained by the contacting the City's Management Analyst by calling (714) 961-7106.

Any individual who is 65 years and older can join the Senior Lunch Program by filling out a few forms. A minimum donation of $2.50 is asked. 

Typically, the speed limit for a street is determined by a speed survey, with the limit being based on the speed driven by most people under normal conditions. Other factors can reduce that speed limit, such as the type of street (i.e., arterial), the geography of the street, and sight distances. You can see the latest speed survey for Yorba Linda by clicking here.

Yes, sandbags are available to residents from October 1 thru April 1 at the City's Maintenance Facility located at 4751 Eureka Ave. A maximum of 25 bags are available per resident during the hours of 7:00 am-3:30pm. Sandbags are on a self-serve basis; residents will need to fill and load their own bags. Shovels are available at the sand pile for this purpose. 

Yes. To get permission you must submit a request (including location, date and time) with a petition from every home that will be affected by the closure. The City's Traffic Engineer will review the request and respond back. For more information, please call the City's Traffic Division at (714) 961-7175.


Close All | Open All

Yes. You can access the zoning ordinance online at . You can also click the "Municipal Code" link on the right side of the home page of the City's website and go to Title 18 from the Municipal Code menu. 

Yes. Additional information and application forms are available by clicking here.

Please call the Planning Department at (714) 961-7130 and we'll be happy to assist you. Be sure to have the property address or Assessor's Parcel Number (APN) when you call. 

The setback requirement varies by residential zone. You can refer to Table 18.10-2 in Chapter 18.10 of the Residential Zoning Ordinance, which is available online by clicking here. If you need help finding the zoning designation of your property, please contact the Planning Department at (714) 961-7130. 

The maximum allowable height of a wall depends on its location on the property. Walls or fences within the front yard setback area may not exceed three feet in height (un a Conditional Use Permit is obtained). Walls or fences along a side or rear property line may be up to six feet in height provided it is not adjacent to a public street or extend into the required front yard. If a wall or fence is adjacent to any public street, it shall be set back a minimum of five feet from the property line that's adjacent to the street. 

Yes. The City uses the permit process to verify the safety of the installation by inspecting the earthquake straps installation, pressure temperature release valves installation, proper exhaust venting, gas line connections, and ignition source clearance to floor, along with energy code requirements for listings and insulation. You can apply for a water heater replacement permit on-line by clicking here. 

Trashcans are to be stored out of public view, either behind a side fence or in the garage. 

Within a rear yard or an interior side yard, a patio cover can be no closer than three feet from a property line or wall, provided it does not exceed twelve feet in height. Within the front yard or a street side yard, patio covers shall maintain the same setback requirement as the main structure. 

Continue filling out this on-line request form. Please be sure to indicate the exact location you like to have considered for a "red curb" parking restriction, and why you believe the parking restriction is needed. City staff will conduct an investigation and get back to you with our findings as quickly as possible.

No, portable basketball hoops/skateboard ramps can only be stored on private property and not in the public right-of-way. 

Typically, condenser units can be placed in rear or side yards, provided the unit is at least fifteen feet from the windows and doors of a neighbor's habitable rooms. 

ou can get information on the process for installing a crosswalk by clicking here 


Classes, Events and Programs:

Close All | Open All

There are a wide variety of programs offered. You can see a full listing by clicking here. The programs are also contained in the Senior Bulletin, which is printed monthly. You can pick up a copy of the Bulletin at the Yorba Linda Community Center, the Thomas Lasorda Jr. Field House, City Hall, Travis Ranch Activity Center, and the Yorba Linda Public Library or by visiting the link above to find an on-line copy of the Bulletin. The cost to receive an annual subscription (12 issues) of the Yorba Linda Senior Citizen Bulletin by U.S. mail is $5.00. Staff will be accepting payment at the Yorba Linda Community Center beginning June 1 for an annual subscription running from July through June. For more information please call the Community Center at (714) 961-7181.

The best way to see which classes are available is to visit the YL Rec Online website by clicking here

There are several ways to register for recreation activities and classes. The most convenient way is to register on-line. First-time users must create an on-line account. If you have previously taken classes through the City, staff can provide you with your account I.D. number and PIN. Call them at (714) 961-7160. You can also register by mail, FAX, or in-person. See the forms in the back of the Activity brochure that is mailed to all residents each quarter or access the brochure on-line at YLRecOnline

Yes. All teen dances are supervised by the Recreation Coordinator and Specialist along with Recreation Leaders and several volunteers. 

Adventure Playground registration is no longer done by a lottery.  Registration is completed online on a first come first served basis.

Adult sports leagues are coordinated by the staff at the Travis Ranch Activity Center. For more information, please call (714) 961-7167. 

Cancellations received at least one week before the dance are eligible to receive a credit on their account. The dance ticket cannot be transferred to another individual.  Refunds are subject to the same policies and fees as any other City courses.

Early registration for swimming ions and aquatic programs is held each year dring late April. Details are available in the Summer issue of the Recreation and Public Library Activity Guide which is mailed to all homes or can be accessed through YL Rec Online. 

Library Children's Services offers a variety of FREE children's programs for different ages. Laptime is for 0-2 years old, Preschool Storytime is for 3-5 years old, Pajama-Rama and Family Storytime are for the whole family. BookBug Club and Club Read are for school-aged children. Special programs are also scheduled throughout the year. For more information on programs, visit the Kid's Page.

Registration for Tiny Tots is NOT available on-line. Registration takes place once a year in the Fall. Individuals who are registered will have priority for upcoming sessions. Call (714) 961-7160 for more information. 

Check out the library web site by clicking here.

Yes, the City hosts a variety of special events throughout the year. Dates and descriptions of upcoming events are advertised in the quarterly recreation activity brochure that is mailed to all Yorba Linda residents. These events can also be viewed online. 

Yes, all seniors are welcome.

Children's Services programs may or may not require a child to sign up. Visit the Kid's Page for more information. If you do need to sign your child up, you can do so at the library or over the phone. And don't forget, all the programs at the library are FREE! 

That's because the form also includes a "release of liability" that must be signed for every class taken. It also helps staff ensure we have your correct/current address and phone number in case you need to be contacted about cancellations or any other changes in the activity schedule. 


Close All | Open All

There is no charge for a Yorba Linda Public Library card.

Applicants need to present a picture ID that shows their current address.

Yes. This program is coordinated by the staff at the Thomas Lasorda Field House. Participants and their parents are encouraged to pick up an information packet describing the program from the Field House located at 4701 Casa Loma Avenue. 

Park Facilities:

Close All | Open All

No, moon-bouncers are not allowed in City parks since they damage the grass and tend to break sprinkler heads.  

No. Yorba Regional Park is operated by the County of Orange. You can make a reservation through their website by clicking here

No, that option is not available at this time. Reservations for picnic shelter can be made in person at any of these four City facilities: Yorba Linda Community Center, Thomas Lasorda Field House, Travis Ranch Activity Center and City Hall. You can also call (714) 961-7160. 

Yes. This is because there are a number of local sports organizations (football, baseball/softball, lacrosse, and soccer) that are issued use permits up to one year in advance for field use. Reservations for use of sports fields can be made by calling (714) 961-7192. 

Yes. Meeting and event rooms are available at the Yorba Linda Community Center, Travis Ranch Activiity Center, and the Thomas Lasorda Field House. Call (714) 961-7160 for details. 

Reservations for picnic shelter can be made in person at any of these four City facilities: Yorba Linda Community Center, Thomas Lasorda Field House, Travis Ranch Activity Center and City Hall. You can also call (714) 961-7160. 


Close All | Open All

City streets are currently on a 7-year maintenance cycle with residential streets divided into zones. Each year, one zone within the City is scheduled for asphalt repairs and slurry seal coating. To find out which zone your street is in, please click here to view a maintenance schedule map. 

All trees in the City's urban forest are on a 3 to 5-year trimming cycle, depending on the type and growth patterns of the tree. The City follows guidelines for trimming practices prescribed by the International Society of Arborists so as to maintain healthy, disease-free, and balanced trees.

You can submit an on-line request or contact the Public Works Department by phone at (714) 971-7170. Be sure to provide the location and a detailed description of the type of debris to be removed. A City street maintenance worker will be dispatched to remove the debris as soon as possible.

Please submit an on-line request form. Be sure to provide an exact location/address of the problem and a description of the requested repairs.

Southern California Edison owns and maintains all street lights in the City's residential neighborhoods. Should you notice a non-operating light please contact Edison directly at (800)655-4555. If you like, you may fill out an on-line request form and the City's Public Works Department will forward the information to Edison for you. Please be sure to include an address of the street light location for identification purposes.

Submit an on-line request form, being sure to indicate the location of the needed repairs. Typically, concrete repairs and replacements take anywhere from 90 to 120 days to schedule and complete.

The County of Orange Flood Control Department is responsible for all maintenance concerns/issues of this area. You can contact them at 714/567-6300.

The City has a Tree Preservation Ordinance under City Code Section 16.08.010. Un a tree is dead or dying, the tree will not be removed. Requests for removal of a dead tree should be submitted in writing to the Public Works Department, PO Box 87014, Yorba Linda CA 92885-8714. Be sure to include information on the location of the tree. In most cases, it is the City's policy to replace a dead tree with a new tree in or near the same location.

Please submit an on-line request through Yorba Linda Direct or call (714) 961-7160 to let staff know the location of the graffiti so that it can be removed. 

You can either continue filling out this request form or call the City's Public Works department at (714) 961-7170

You can contact the City of Yorba Linda Public Works Department by filling out an on-line request form. Be sure to include an address or location. 

Please submit an on-line request through Yorba Linda Direct or call (714) 961-7160 to let staff know which park has the broken equipment so that any necessary repairs can be made. 

Fill out an on-line request. Be sure to include the address/location of the graffiti. Graffiti within the City's Public right-of-way is typically removed within 48 hours. 

Please submit an on-line request through Yorba Linda Direct or call (714) 961-7160 to let staff know which park has the broken sprinkler so that any necessary repairs can be made. 

Please fill out an on-line request form, being sure to identify the location of the pothole by street name and nearest cross street.

You can get information on having a stop sign installed by clicking here.

Please submit and on-line request, being sure to include the exact address or location of the broken sprinkler.

Please fill out an on-line request, being sure to provide the street name and location. The City will have a new sign made and installed in approximately 2-4 weeks

If you are experiencing water back-up or odor from a catch basin or storm draing, please fill out an on-line request form. Be sure to provide an address and location. The catch basin will be inspected then cleaned if necessary.


Close All | Open All

The reason there is only one provider of "traditional" cable television service in Yorba Linda is because no other cable company has chosen to provide competing service, primarily due to economic reasons. This is the case in the vast majority of cities across the county. It is not because the City has issued an exclusive franchise; Federal law prohibits the granting of exclusive cable television franchises. Competing video service is now being provided by satellite TV companies and the local phone company plans to begin providing service soon.

Southern California Edison is the provider of electric utility services in Yorba Linda. You can reach them by phone at (800) 655-4555 or through their website. 

Southern California Gas Company provides natural gas service to Yorba Linda. They can be reached by phone at (800) 427-2200 or through their website. 

Time Warner is currently the only company that provides "traditional" cable television service within Yorba Linda. You may contact them by phone at (888) 892-2253 or through their website by clicking here. Satellite-delivered video service is also available through several companies and AT&T plans to begin providing video services to Yorba Linda in the near future. 

Refuse collection and recycling services are provided by Yorba Linda Disposal under a contract with the City. For more information, you may contact Yorba Linda Disposal at (714) 238-3300. 

There are two companies that provide water service in the city, depending on the location of your home or business. Most of the community is served by the Yorba Linda Water District, which can be reached by phone at (714) 701-3000. The other company providing water utility service in Yorba Linda is Golden State Water. They can be reached by calling (800) 999-4033.