York County Hospital was founded in April 1740 in Monkgate. In 1745 the hospital
moved to a new larger building fronting onto Monkgate.
The hospital continued to be financed primarily by private subscription, and for
example in 1807, a surplus of funds were shared between “the Treasurers of the York
County Hospital, Charity Schools, Lunatic Asylum and Dispensary”.
As an example of the numbers, in 1850 the County Hospital produced a quarterly report
confirming that 94 patients were admitted. The hospital had 57 patients who were
cured, 26 were relieved, 10 were made into out-patients and 5 died, with the total
number of patients being 135.
The building opened in 1745 was demolished in 1851 and replaced with a new building
costing around 11,000 pounds, 7,000 pounds from subscriptions and 4,000 pounds from
existing funds. The new building was built behind the previous building and offered
considerably more space.
When York District Hospital opened in 1976, it replaced numerous other institutions,
including the County Hospital, Fulford Hospital, Deighton Grove Hospital, Yearsley
Bridge Hospital, Acomb Hospital, Military Hospital and City Hospital.
The hospital buildings at Monkgate were used for a while as the headquarters of Yorkshire
Water, although they were later sold to be used for housing.