DONATE TO HOLY CROSS

THE ARCHITECTURE OF HOLY CROSS
Taken from Holy Cross's Solemn Consecration and History published 1886
________

THE EXTENSION

extentioin

The extension of the church has been designed to complete the original romanesque conception of the plan, and for this purpose a triapsal arrangement was made, the sanctuary being circular in plan, with a semi-dome, lighted by nine windows in the upper part. The side-chapels are square-ended, to secure a better arrangement of the groups of statuary forming part of the chapels of the Sacred Heart and that of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

Within the lines of the plan also are included an ample sacristy and vestry and a baptisteryon the right, with entrance for processionals to the church from the sacristy through the baptistery. The original arrangement of gallery-stairs has been preserved to give access to the church from either end and to the lower church, so that free movement of a large congregation is secured.

To complete the form the sanctuary has been elevated by three paces and the whole paved with marble and encaustic tiles of light tones to harmonize with the color decoration of the walls, the whole extended across both chapels, and giving largeness and dignity to the chancel.

A railing of large, enriched columns, widely spaced with elaborate ornamental panels between, in bronze and brass with mahogany cap, defines the sanctuary, and permits, at the same time, all parts to be seen.

 

Alter