The Department functions
as the planning agency for the unincorporated area of Madera
County, formulating and implementing the general plan and
community plans, and coordinating land use considerations
in accordance with the zoning ordinance. The department
is responsible for processing conditional use permits, zoning
permits, land divisions, and other entitlement applications,
and for assisting the public in explaining zoning and planning
matters. The planning department maintains an enforcement
program and issues citations for violations of the land
use and construction regulations. The department is also
responsible for implementing a variety of programs adopted
at the state level, including those dealing with environmental
review of projects, agricultural land conservation, surface
mining, affordable housing, etc.
The Planning Department performs the following services:
- Advisor to the Board of Supervisors on matters involving
planning, zoning, land use, subdivisions, transportation
and road standards, etc. and prepares maps and study materials
for the Board.
- Serve as staff for the Planning Commission and County
Airport Land Use Commission processing land use permit
including General Plan Amendments, Rezonings, Conditional
Use Permits, Variances, Parcel Maps, and Subdivision Maps.
- Planning Director also serves as County Zoning Administrator
making decisions on certain types of land use applications,
setback variances, and zoning enforcement actions.
- Assign addresses and street names to all residences
and businesses in the unincorporated area of the County.
- Administer Williamson Act Program. The Planning Director
serves as Chairman of the County Agricultural Preserve
Committee, and the department reviews and processes all
new agricultural preserve applications.
- Responsible for administration of California Environmental
Quality Act in accordance with the guidelines issued by
the Secretary for Resources (State).
- Responsible for Housing Assistance Plans and Community
Development Block Grant administration and applications.
- Administration of the State Planning Act in Madera
County. Perform the planning function required by State
law in assuring that the county planning operations are
consistent with and conform to all applicable State requirements.
- Review and sign-off on Building Permit Applications.
This review includes compliance of project with current
zoning and setback requirements; compliance with conditions
of approval (i.e., Conditional Use Permits, etc.); check
legal status of parcel; and determine road impact fee
- Review and sign off on business licenses and determine
compliance with zoning.
- The Planning Department serves as Chairman of the Subdivision
Committee and the Parcel Map Committee.
Official GIS Data Request
County Planning Department
W. Cleveland Ave M.S. G
Madera, CA 93637
Telephone: (559) 675-7821
Fax: (559) 675-6573
Map this location for me
Planning Director: Norman L. Allinder