Archive for the Western Category

Tianjin Italian Barrack

Tianjin Italian Barrack

Tianjin Italian Barrack

Italian Barrack is located within the former Italian Concession in Tianjin. It’s built in 1916. After 1900, the Italian army in China stationed in Tianjin’s Italian Concession. In 1928, when the Northern Expeditionary Army stationed in Tianjin, the Italian Army set up sandbags and built electric defense grid for defense. After the liberation of China, the barrack was occupied by the PLA (People’s Liberation Army), and later became Division Headquarter of the PLA garrison in Tianjin. Now it functions as the Detachment of Armed Police Corps Department.

The total area of 4206 square meters of Italy barracks. Mixed for the three brick and wood structure, The main building has four stories, the East and West wing of the building and three and four-story tall. It’s a large-scale Π-shaped building with typical Italian style.

The Bank of Four Council

Sihangchuxuhui

Sihangchuxuhui

The Bank of Four Council is based in Tianjin. It consists of Jincheng bank, Salt Commercial Bank, Central Bank and Mainland Bank. The branch opened in 1923, is located in the main street of the British concession in Tianjin, Victoria Road (now No. 147 Jiefang North Road). The building covers an area of 1590.6 square meters, The first floor of the three floor building has four Ionic columns arch prop eaves on the first floor. Roof and walls have relief. It is a classical revival style of architecture.

Russo-Chinese Bank in Tianjin

Russo-Chinese Bank

Russo-Chinese Bank

Russo-Chinese Bank was a foreign bank representing Russian interest in China during the period between Qing Dynasty and Republic of China.

December 10, 1895: The bank was founded in St. Petersburg from Russian and French capital. It lent money to China and issued Chinese government bond to finance China for its indemnity to Japan after First Sino-Japanese War. The Tianjin branch was opened in 1896. The same year, China joined the bank as a partner for the construction of China Eastern Railway. The bank was renamed to Sino-Russian Righteousness Victory Bank.

By 1902, it became the second largest bank in China. It was merged with Banque du Nord to form Russo-Asiatic Bank in 1910. Six years later it was closed down after losing 5 million pounds in foreign currency speculation in Paris financial market.

Jincheng Bank

Jincheng Bank

Jincheng Bank

Tianjin Jincheng Bank was built in Tianjin, China. The building in the picture is the bank’s headquarter. The head office opened in 1917, founded by the Chinese modern bankers Zuo Min Zhou. It’s located in the British concession in Tianjin, Victoria Road, the main street (now No. 108 Jiefang North Road).

The building was built in 1937 by the first generation of Chinese architect – Shen Li. It’s a two-story brick building, with basement, external decorative tile. Building layout is regular and symmetric, classical revival style architecture mixed with residential areas, rich decorative facade of the building towering over the existing roof slope . It was damaged in 1976 earthquake, restored in 2008.

Daqingyouju

daqingyouju

daqingyouju

Daqingyouju (Qing Post Office) is located in former French concession (now North Jiefang Road 103 – 111). Now it is a cultural heritage site of Tianjin. The building was built in 1878, same year in July, the first set of stamps of Chinese Large Dragon stamps was released here. The building is a brick and wood two-story building with basement, brick facade wall and beautiful arched windows. It follows European classical architecture style and combines traditional Qing Dynasty brick building style, it is the only existing Qing Dynasty postal office in China.

French Public Discussion Bureau Tianjin

French Public Discussion Bureau

French Public Discussion Bureau

Former French Public Discussion Bureau is located at on Rue Consulate in the former French concession of Tianjin (now 12 Chengde Road, Heping District, Tianjin). It’s a national heritage building. Now it serves as Tianjin Museum of Art.

The building covers construction area of 8700 square meters. It’s a classical revival style, three-storey building with hybrid structure. The central building has two two wings and a basement. The building’s classical facade is a clear three-stage design, the central main body is highlighted, with symmetrical wings. The main entrance hall is equipped with large black and white marble steps, marble handrails, railings double bottle, color marble floor.

Daguangming Cinema

Daguangming Cinema

Daguangming Cinema

Daguangming Cinema (大光明影院) is one of the oldest cinema in Tianjin. Located on Qufudao, it’s on the side of the Daguanming Bridge.

Tianjin Concert Hall

Tianjin Concert Hall

Tianjin Concert Hall

Tianjin Concert Hall reopened after its four-year, 160 million-yuan reconstruction. The original concert hall was established by Lugen, chairman of the Hong Kong film company Hengda. The concert hall was called Ping Cinema, with a total construction area of 3434 square meters. Because of its location (at downtown Tianjin), Hollywood movies, high attendance, Ping cinema was the first and most famous cinema in the city, it was also the first theater run by foreigners, after relocating four times, the cinema finally settled at the site Xiaobailou.

The rebuilt European-style hall features a golden roof and classic architecture designed by French Architect Règne, former president of the European Construction Institute. The 4,860-square meter hall has a seating capacity of 650 with every chair offering a view of the stage. There is a huge open square in front of the concert hall. The square is ship-shaped when viewed from top.

Kissling Restaurant

Kissling Restaurant

Kissling Restaurant

Kissling restaurant is a famous restaurant that serves Western food in Tianjin, it is located at Xiaobailou, Heping District, the interchange of Zhejiang Road, Jianshe Road and Kaifeng Road.

Kissling restaurant was built in 1901, it’s operated by German Albert Kissling. The restaurant served authentic German-style Western food and bread, dessert. The restaurant was original located opposite to the Youth Center at Jiefangbeilu, near the French Public Discussion Bureau (now the City People’s Library). During World War I, the restaurant was destroyed by the French, the restaurant then moved to the junction of Germany and the United States concessions, which is now the conjunction of Jiefangnan Road, Xuzhou Road (as you can see from the picture). Kissling, after absorbing the Qidi Bard shares, had its name changed to “Kissling – Bard.”

At 1930s, Kissling restaurant business was booming, expansion started, dance hall in the restaurant and an open-air dance hall were added. Sub-branches were gradually opened in Nanjing, Shanghai and Beidaihe. The Japanese occupation of Tianjin in 1937, put the business into risk, the restaurant continued to maintain their operations. After the founding of the People’s Republic in 1949, Kissling is taken over by the Chinese Government. In 1954 Kissling dining section and then Weigeduoli restaurant (now Zhejiang Road, Kissling restaurant branch) merged. Weigeduoli served Russian-style Western meal, as well as British, French, German, Italian dishes and desserts. After the merger of Weigeduoli and Kissling, they are named Kissling. Later, due to the political movements under Communist rule, the restaurant has changed its name to Tianjin restaurant, peasants and soldiers restaurant. In 1970, Kissling restaurant workers have written a joint letter to Premier Zhou Enlai to request to restore long-established restaurant Kissling, seven days after, they received the approval from the State Council. After Kissling and studied at the Food Street of Dali Road and opened two stores have opened branches in Beidaihe. July 5, 1990, officially changed its name from the Shihlin restaurant “Kissling Hotel”, not only have restaurants, guest rooms, a ballroom and Kara OK and ancillary facilities. Kiessling Restaurant Beijing branch on December 18, 1998 opened at South Riverside Avenue, Dongcheng District, Hualong Street, 2nd Floor.

Swire Group Building in Tianjin

Swire Group Tianjin

Swire Group Tianjin

The building was the office for Swire Group Tianjin branch. It was built in 1886, with an construction area of 1971.27 square meters. It’s a two-story brick-wood structure building.

Swire Group Tianjin Office

Swire Group Tianjin Office

The facade for the plane was “concave” shaped dry wall. The entrance is higher above the ground. First floor has arch-shaped windows and doors, window lintel with its radial floriation. Roof is flat-topped and equipped with parapet.