"Klax" KDE 3.4.2 Live-CD
"Klax" is an i486 GNU/Linux Live-CD, very similar to Slax
because it's created with the same Linux Live scripts. The version
described here contains KDE 3.4.2. There exists also a KOffice 1.4.2 edition and
a KDE 3.5 RC 1 edition.
It should be good enough to give you an impression of KDE 3.4, to verify if bugs still exist or discover
new ones and to make screenshots.
See this short HOWTO how to create yourself a
localized version of this Live-CD.
What it has:
- an ISO size of 330 MB
- all KDE 3.4.2 modules except kdebindings
- Qt 3.3.4 with qt-copy patches, k3b 0.12.2 and KOffice 1.4.1
What it has not:
- a price tag :-)
- translations of interface and documentation
- own documentation (see the Slax documentation instead)
- guarantee (to work, to not damage your system, to not waste your bandwidth)
- the design goal or sophisticated tools to be installable on hard disk and upgradable later
- graphical configuration tools (if you don't have DHCP, use console-based "netconfig" tool)
- compiler, build tools, headers, man pages, non-KDE docs, howtos (goal was to be as small as possible)
- all bells & whistles KDE 3.4 can make use of (like composite extension, DBUS/HAL, speech systems, xscreensaver,
Verification: klax-kde-3.4.2.iso.md5, klax-kde-3.4.2.iso.md5.asc
Boot from the burned CD.
You can also type "klax nogui" at the boot prompt for a console login. Login
as "guest" with password "guest" (or as "root" with "toor").
"netconfig" starts the network configuration.
"xconf" configures a higher resolution for the X-server.
Executing "startx" will start the X-server.