Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Are Sennheiser's really worth while?

Are Sennheiser's really worth while?

post #31 of 81

@BrucYSN

Quote:
Sennheiser replace the 595 with much more expensive 598 for a reason.

The main one being money.

Quote:
The 598's sound stage and mids are just incredible.

Same with my hd595.  The hd598 might have an even better soundstage, but I don't need more.

Quote:
However it's on the side of bass shy

Same with hd595.

You didn't mention the high, that I don't particularly find interesting on my hd595.

Anyway, I  highly doubt it's worth to upgrade from hd595 to hd598.

@iamfir

The hd598 might help you as first experience in the "high end" sound, so that you have a first reference to compare with.  Lot of newbies begin here with this can (hd595 or hd598, don't tell me it's a different story), and then move away from it. The thing is I'm wondering if you cannot skip this step. Ideally you'd try this can at a shop  or from a friend.

Edited by extrabigmehdi - 6/27/11 at 6:08am

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #32 of 81

I heard both the 595 and the 598.

You didn't.

The 598 is a different animal. Why do people step up from the HD598? Easy. Same reason why people upgrade their cars. Driving a 300 horsepower Boxster S or Cayman is cool, driving a 560 horsepower 911 Turbo S is better. 

The 598 is such a great headphone that really makes me smile everytime I put it on. However, as soon as you know that it's not top of the line, it makes you want more,t hat's the whole point. Am I happy with the 598? hell yes. Will I upgrade? Not this year.

Why don't you give the HD598 a try? Once you hear it, you want it, I am sure about that. Especially when you have a 595, the 598 is just better in everything, not by dramatically, but you will hear it.

The point is to get the best headphone for your budget. For me in cars, well I would love a Porsche 911. As I would love a HD800 but for my budget the Hd598 is the best I could find.

post #33 of 81

Quote:
However, as soon as you know that it's not top of the line, it makes you want more,t hat's the whole point.

Or as long you have much more gratifying experience from speakers, or even relatively cheap earbuds.

For the bass my senn IE7  trumps the hd595.

For the highs  my k317 (which cost less than 40 euros) trumps the hd595.

Getting a "higher model" doesn't warrant better sound, I've seen countless people ranking the hd600 above the hd650 , depending of their taste. Or the k601 above the k701.

post #34 of 81

You are right Sir. I totally agree. 

Higher model does not equal better sound for sure. Let's correct my statement and take it non-materialistic, so if you have the 650 and you know the 600 is there and better you might feel tempted to (upgrade to better sound) downgrade to a lower modelnumber ;-)

post #35 of 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post

Or as long you have much more gratifying experience from speakers, or even relatively cheap earbuds.

For the bass my senn IE7  trumps the hd595.

For the highs  my k317 (which cost less than 40 euros) trumps the hd595.

Getting a "higher model" doesn't warrant better sound, I've seen countless people ranking the hd600 above the hd650 , depending of their taste. Or the k601 above the k701.

I agree with you. However, my motto is " what's in it for me?" . What does its feature and benefit apply to ME not the reviewer(s) or rating or category ranking by manufactures. 

I have both the HD 600 and HD 650. Are they different as day and night ?  Only the owner(s) with his associated equipments and he listening  skill can tell yes or no.

AKG240/AKG702/AKG-Q701 BLK/ /Senn HD280/ Sen HD380/ Senn HD558/ Senn HD600/ Senn HD650/ ATH-A700/ ATH-AD700/ ATH-M50s/ ATH- ESW9A/  ATH-W5000/ Denon AH- A 100 SE/ Shure-SRH 440/ Shure-SRH 840/ Fostex T20RP /  Fostex T50 RP/ Sony MDR-V 6/ JVC-HARX700/900.
  Wireless HPs : Senn RS180. AMP: Pio...
post #36 of 81

Oh my gosh I toooootally didn't realize how much people tear each other a part on this headphone choice lol. Soooo HD598's? OH! BY THE WAY IF I BUY THOSE I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BUY AN AMP. It will cost too much money. I can either get the those without a portable amp, or I could get the 595's with a portable amp. I dunno if those portables do anything though. Some people said those FiiO's don't do much.

post #37 of 81

Sennheiser are the best HP makers, and they are defo worth it. They cater for everyone at the highest level from the cheapest IEM's to hardcore high-end audiphiles. Even head-fiers that wanted that extra treble and game-stage (598)  

The back cover of my new cd in my avatar, just in duo these days. But still making music!       
post #38 of 81

How about them Beyerdynamic DT-770 (80 ohms version) worth it to get the extra ohms for a cheaper price? (since im running it through an iphone 4)

post #39 of 81

@iamfir

Quote:
I can either get the those without a portable amp, or I could get the 595's with a portable amp

It's not worth to buy an amp for this can.

Quote:
How about them Beyerdynamic DT-770 (80 ohms version) worth it to get the extra ohms for a cheaper price?

More ohms doesn't mean better, it's irrelevant.  It might means the need of amping.

@LugBug1

Quote:

Sennheiser are the best HP makers

This is a strong statement, but it seems you've tried other brands according to your profile.

post #40 of 81

Not worth it to buy an amp? It sounds terrible without one. I tried to drive it from the onboard sound on my dads PC and it was heavily lacking in energy, speed, and was extremly grainy. You are better off buying a cheaper pair of headphones than something like a 598 without an amp. My $50 AKG K81 was much better, I'm sure had I had access to my Essence at the time the Sennheiser would have been better.

Phones I Own
AKG K81DJ, Ultrasone PRO 2900
Phones I Owned
Sennheiser HD 598 < ATH-AD900 < Grado SR-80i(my K81 beat all of them in everything but soundstage)

AMPs/Sources

ASUS Xonar Essence STX, Sansa Fuze

post #41 of 81

@MohawkUs

There's not a significant difference, when I enable amping from my Xonar STX  with the hd595.

I  find the hd595 is lacking energy, with amping enabled. I'm not sure what grainy means.

Maybe the onboard sound of your Dad pc is bad.

Edited by extrabigmehdi - 7/1/11 at 4:34pm
post #42 of 81

Uhhh guys? Haha any chance I can get more opinions on the Beyer's? Cause I got recommended those and wanted to know if DT-770's are well worth it?

post #43 of 81

Well it seems that with the DT-770  bass is not lacking unlike the hd598.  But I'm not sure that more bass is essential for your musical taste (metal ?) .

The DT-880  seems a more popular choice.

Edited by extrabigmehdi - 7/1/11 at 5:26pm
post #44 of 81

Easy to drive, amp not required headphones?  Well, why didn't you say so!wink.gif  I got some recommendations right here for ya:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50, A700

AKG K240 studio

Denon AH-D1100

JVC HARX900

Shure SRH440, SRH840

Ultrasone HFi-580, HFi-780

post #45 of 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post

Well it seems that with the DT-770  bass is not lacking unlike the hd598.  But I'm not sure that more bass is essential for your musical taste (metal ?) .

The DT-880  seems a more popular choice.

Would it still sound great (the 880's 250 ohms version) without an amp? they are $214 on amazon. idk if thats a steal or not. I just wanna know if they are worth it without an amp.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Are Sennheiser's really worth while?