Cooperation on the regional level is an important element of special partnership relations between Ukraine and Canada. This aspect of bilateral ties is supported by large Ukrainian community living in Canada. Canadians of Ukrainian descent contribute to establishment and development of partnership with the regions and cities of Ukraine in various spheres including culture, science and educations, business etc.
As for today the following agreements between the regions of Ukraine and Canada are in force:
- Memorandum on Cooperation between Ukraine and the Province of Manitoba (Canada) of October 2, 1995.
- Memorandum on Intent between Chernivtsi Oblast in Ukraine and Saskatchewan in Canada of October 4, 1995. In development of this Agreement Memorandum on Intent between the Chief Division of Education and Sciences of the Chernivtsi Oblast State Administration and the Saskatchewan Ministry of Education was signed on October 20, 2008.
- Protocol on Cooperation between the Ivano-Frankivsk State Oblast Administration and the Government of the Province of Alberta of August 11, 2004; the Protokol was renewed on June 11, 2010 (download the Protocol).
- Memorandum on Cooperation between the Lviv Oblast State Administration and the Government of the Province of Alberta of August 30, 2005.
- Memorandum of Understanding between the Dnipropetrovsk Oblast State Administration and the Government of the Province of Manitoba of May 27, 2008.
Twinning relations between the cities of Kyiv and Toronto (Ontario), Chernivtsi and Saskatoon (Saskatchewan), Lviv and Winnipeg (Manitoba), Odesa and Vancouver (British Columbia), Uzhhorod and Hamilton (Ontario), Dnipropetrovsk and the Region of Durham (Ontario) are developed actively.
In 2009 Memorandum on Cooperation between Canadian Vegreville (Alberta) and Stryi of Lviv Oblast as well as twinning agreement between Dauphin (Manitoba) and Kosiv of Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast were signed.