Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Topic: Classilla has launched and it works! (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  wdurden (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:28 pm

Have been monitoring and waiting for this since the original announcement. True to word, it has been released, and several sites that didn't render correctly or at all before now work (like google news for instance). It is unfinished but this is the best news for classic mac browsers in a long time. Unfortunately it is 8.6 and up, but still, this might be what others here have been looking for...

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:08 am

I think I was download #50.

It pulls in your bookmarks from WAMCOM automatically. It also takes on your about:config settings.

A quick spin to problem web sites has them rendering correctly. One was a total mess on the top headers and the other was chronically cut off on the left. Both now good.

I may be my imagination, but it also appears to be faster.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:32 pm

It isn't for OS 7.6, however it is a treat to see new work being done for the Classic Mac OS.

I was surprised to see how many sites that had been giving troubles are rendering so they are readable. The no-script setup is different and I need to set that up to see if the javascript will handle a couple sites.

I like the icon and splash screen. Perhaps we have some talented people around who will create new icons and interface widgets for the application windows.

I have not pushed on it very hard, but it has been very stable thus far.

bill

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:08 am

I've had a chance to play with this now.

As Bill said, it defaults to no JavaScript. You have to enable it for each page that you want it on. My perception is that it runs faster than WamCom Mozilla and this may be the reason.

Enabling is not big deal. Go to the web page and copy the URL. then click on the "S" logo at the bottom. A window pops up and you paste in the URL and clcick the Allow button. It then enables JavaScript for that domain.

It renders sites that were bad before. It still gets boggled on some sites. I went to popsci.com and got pretty much a dogs breakfast in text - but - low and behold, go to the view menu and there is a "Use Style" selection - default or none. So I was able to reload with no style and render it in line.

These two features in the long run are probably as important as any they put in in that we are going to get more and more inconsistencies as web develops and Classic does not. These features represent a compromise that works.

What would be really interesting is to do a comparison of the about:config settings between this browser and Netscape Communicator 4.x to see what settings can be stolen to give it better performance on 7.6. You cannot edit directly in Netscape, but using a user.js file you can get at the underlying configuration settings.

Also, it would be lovely if someone could update the flash plugin to a more modern version. Many site now just check the version and don't even try to load unless it is recent. This is not abig deal on the PB 1400 which even accelerated has trouble treaming, but with some of the desktop machines this would breath new life into them.

ClassicHasClass (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:40 am

Hi, I'm the Classilla maintainer. I noticed wdurden's thread and came by to check it out.

I do intend to keep up on Classilla, but the most important thing for the next release (9.0.4) is JavaScript. I have some ideas about how to accomplish that. TraceMonkey will probably never work right on Classic, but we should be able to get a more recent version of SpiderMonkey working if I do a little tuning.

Layout is a real problem, especially as HTML 5 (ugh) is landing and this carries a lot of features that requires OS support -- which, I might add, the Classic Mac OS lacks, including decent codecs. Also, anyone with understanding of HTML/CSS who can help make test cases and dredge Bugzilla for corrections can help, even if you can't do the patch yourself. I do have some directions to go with this, however, and there are more layout improvements I will land in 9.0.4. A big jump will occur in the 9.0.5 test release.

Regrettably, to keep this semi-on-topic, the lack of Unicode support in 7.6 pretty much precludes porting the runtime Sad but perhaps this can be grafted on in the future. My Mac-fu is poor outside of CodeWarrior and FutureBASIC, however.

Thanks for your kind words and the comments.

ClassicHasClass (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:02 pm

With luck, 9.0.4 should be out November 1st, assuming no serious blocking bugs. I'll be closing my internal tree on Wednesday.

I wanted more in this release, but Mozilla's OS 9 runtime has a serious scrolling bug that does not manifest in OS X (tested on 1.3.1 under OS X, and then under WaMCom, Wazilla and Classilla: it works fine in OS X, but not in any of the others, even going back to Netscape 7). Still, there will be some improvements to layout, and quite a few to JavaScript, along with some additional specific fixups to help with some sites, and repairs to multiple bugs and crashes.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.